Classic Rock Bottom

This week's pick is a bit of a cheat since I really haven't been thinking about what albums to post. Luckily (or unluckily), this was requested on FB, so there's a post this week. Who knows, maybe next week will be different. We shall see.

This was released in 1984, a year after the Tubes released "Outside Inside", which was a top 20 album. However, reviews and sales weren't too kind. This also caused issues with the followup Tubes album, "Love Bomb" which was another failure sales-wise (but is a decent album to me) and the Tubes were no more for awhile.

Click here for an interview with Fee.

Imagine a Toto album with Fee as lead singer, and that's what you'll get. It's really not a bad album, especially if you're a fan of The Tubes and/or Toto.

Even though it's mostly negative, here's the review from allmusic.com:

"What would you get if you crossed the Tubes' singer with Toto? Tube-To! No kidding, that's actually what happens on Fee Waybill's first solo album, Read My Lips. As awful as Tube-To sounds, at least it would have had some name recognition. Fee Waybill's name couldn't draw flies to a picnic, despite the Tubes' recent commercial success. (For future reference, any solo album that features a song called "I Could've Been Somebody" probably isn't destined for greatness.) If the Tubes were a faceless band, Fee gets the material he deserves: generic studio rock with generic concerns (life, love). It wouldn't be unfair to expect Read My Lips to sound like Outside Inside, except that the Tubes were a working group. Imagine that album with one-seventh of the creativity, and you're getting hot. "Saved My Life" at least sounds like "She's a Beauty," and "Nobody's Perfect" is kind of catchy, given the slim pickings here, but this isn't likely to please all but the most timid fans of the Tubes' last two records. David Foster and his coterie simply don't have the contagious energy of the Tubes, which makes otherwise lively cuts like "Who Loves You Baby" sound pre-processed and lifeless. Don't misunderstand: The blame lies squarely with Waybill, who co-wrote all the material (and presumably wasn't forced at gunpoint to sing "I Don't Even Know Your Name (Passion Play)"). In hindsight, it was the beginning of the end, with Love Bomb providing the final nail in the coffin.'

Availability: $13 for a new copy, seems this might be going OOP.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Outside/Inside is one my all time favorite albums, period!  Who wouldn't love the Wild Women of Wongo??  So recognizing this was a peek creative era for the Tubes and Waybill I'm quite happy to hear this for the first time!  And love them or hate them, Toto's musicianship is top notch.  Just read their studio credits, its a mile long of the who's who in the music industry!!!

You're Still Laughing sounds like it came straight off of The Completion Backward Principle. Lots of that keyboard that's reminiscent of the early 80's.  Not a bad opener but not up to the quality of Outside Inside either.  Second track comes in very keyboard and the chorus is bit flat, but he is very strong vocally.

Who Loves You Baby is the first real misstep here.  Its far too 80's and even in 84 that song wouldn't be very good.

I Don't Even Know Your Name.  Hard to knock a Tot written ballad, they know how to make them nice and sappy!  And this ones dripping all over the place.  The fade out is way long and weird too.

More 80's drum machines on the next track, but there's that Fahrenheit sound on Luke's geetar - now that's good stuff!!  Not a bad tune, a period piece for sure, but its melodic and that Fahrenheit geetar sound pulls this one together.

Thrill of the Kill.  The rocker makes an appearance.  The synth geetar riff is dated for sure, but I like the beat!  And Fee sounds good!  Save My Life sound good to, like this one!  This one fits on a Tubes record.  In fact, the rest of the tracks work quite nicely. 

Side 2 is way better than side 1.  Though the whole album sounds like it belongs in 84, there is a clear distinction in quality from side 1 to side 2.  Side 2 wins hands down

Good listen, fun artist, but not a purchase for me.  Nice work sick boy!!

1. You're Still Laughing - Decent enough verse and chorus.  Almost a Van Halen sounding guitar in spots.  Cool song.

2. Nobody's Perfect - Nothing special here.

3. Who Loves You Bably - Wow, this has a serious 80's movie feel to it.  Or an 80's TV show.

4. I Don't Even Know Your Name (Passion Play) - I guess some folks get the Toto sound here, but I get an 80's Chicago ballad feel.

5. Who Said Life Would Be Pretty - Man, the 80's are stamped all over this track.  Again, it sounds like it came from a movie.

6. Thrill of the Kill - Totally different than everything else so far.  Much heavier.  Cool guitar solo.

7. Saved My Life - Have to go with "filler" on this one.

8. Caribbean Sunsets - How can anybody listen to this song and, whether you like it or not, not be transported back to the time it was made?

9. Star of the Show - Also "filler".

10. I Could've Been Somebody - Now I hear Toto.

Overall, I liked this.  I've heard some of The Tubes work, but I actually didn't even know that the vocalist was named Fee Waybill.  But I have always liked his voice.  Still do.  The guitar was probably the biggest surprise.  Good post Jonny.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos