Classic Rock Bottom

As with last week, there was a last minute change to this week's pick. It was supposed to be what was originally scheduled for last week, but after some research I changed my mind again so the original pick from the last two weeks in languishing in to-be-posted-maybe hell. 

I thought this album was already featured as an L/F album, but I found that to be false. Maybe it was and it just didn't make it to the archives, but that would mean I made a mistake and I don't make mistakes. Besides, I wanted to listen to this album since it's been awhile since I gave it a listen, and now you can join me.

This week's pick is "Psychoschizophrenia", the 1993 release from Lillian Axe. This would be their fourth release, and while the previous releases had their moments, this album knocks it out of the park. I guess you can say that it's a more mature album than the previous three, plus it's darker. I'm not knocking the previous albums, again they do have their moments, but this album grabbed me when the first note hit. No throwaway tracks plus, to borrow a phrase again, the axework positively carves.

After this album, Lillian Axe was no more until the early 00's when they came back with a live album and then dropped "Waters Rising" followed by "Sad Day On Planet Earth" and "XI: The Days Before Tomorrow", all brilliant album in my humble opinion (which is never wrong).

Everything clicks on this album. If you believe differently, you're wrong.

4/5 stars on allmusic

5/5 stars on amazon

9/10 from Martin Popoff

Psychoschizophrenia

1. Crucified
2. Deepfreeze
3. Moonlight in Your Blood
4. Stop the Hate
5. Sign of the Times
6. The Needle and Your Pain
7. Those Who Prey
8. Voices in My Walls
9. Now You Know
10. Deep Blue Shadows
11. The Day I Met You
12. Psychoschizophrenia

Availability: Used starts at around $9. 

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That cover is ...  AWESOME...ley bad!

So are you.

You've posted Lillian Axe in the past, I know because they sound familiar.  And that's the rub...  Sounds good, lots to like, but nothing memorable.  The awesome...ley bad cover is memorable.

Heres something that jogged a memory...

The opening bass riff in Voices In The Walls reminds me of 'Jungle' from KISS' Carnival of Souls...  really a lot actually. And since this was 1993 and CoS was 97...  Who ripped off who?  I could talk about KISS for hours and hours...  but instead I'll focus in on this post.

I also hear some Tesla-like vocals and some great geetarmanship.  SO why isn't this sticking with me?  Could be the songs themselves, they seem to be well crafted but nothing really sets them apart from the pack of 1993.  Except for the fact that theres nothing grungy about them, so maybe these were better suited to exist in the late 80's, where they would fit better, yet still not really standing out. 

Fine listen but not a purchase...  Last week post still stands at your #1 of 2015 so far...

1. Really cool song. Nice hook.  Much more radio friendly than most of what you post.

2. This may be a little less radio friendly than the previous track, but that does nothing at all to slow the momentum of the opener.

3. This could easily be a Def Leppard song, except for the drums.  Thumbs way up so far.

4. The pace slows, but I like this track too.  I'm really liking the vocals.

5. Still no momentum loss.  The drum sound is outstanding on the whole albums so far.  Shredding, but good shredding, not annoying.

6. This might be better than the first slow track.  This is more of an acoustic ballad with what sounds like some orchestration.  

The next 3 tracks continue a very solid album.

Deep Blue Shadows and The Day I Met You are the only two somewhat weak tracks, still not bad though.

12. Psychoschizophrenia riff makes me think of STP.  Very strong track to wrap up the album.

Best post so far this year Jonny.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos