Classic Rock Bottom

How about a new series?

This is another series which I came up with all by myself. No suggestions from anyone else. All mine, mine, mine. 

With this series, which will run for who knows how long, we're going to visit albums that were released after albums that sold a bunch. They won't necessarily be the followup to the artist's biggest selling album, but there will be a marked difference in album sales between the two. 

For the first pick in the series it's the 1990 release from Fleetwood Mac, "Behind The Mask". This also fits in quite nicely as the first album in this series since it is an anniversary selection, 25 years for those counting. 

BTM is the followup to "Tango In The Night" which is certified 3X Platinum by the RIAA. As for this album, it has been certified Gold. See how this works? This was also the band's first studio album since 1974's "Heroes Are Hard To Find" that failed to crack the top 10 in America, but it did reach number 1 in England.

Of note is the absence of Lindsay Buckingham except for a guest appearance. He was replaced by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito.

The followup album, "Time", didn't even chart in the US.

So, what say you? Bad album? Good album?

Here's a not so nice review from allmusic.com:

Lindsey Buckingham's departure proved to be a severe blow when Fleetwood Mac unveiled a new lineup with the disappointing Behind the Mask, Stevie Nicks' last album with the band. Nicks, Christine and John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood are joined by new members Rick Vito (vocals, lead guitar) and Billy Burnette (vocals, guitar) on this generally weak effort. The production (courtesy of Greg Ladanyi and Fleetwood Mac) is often bland and faceless, and most as the songs are among the least inspired the band ever recorded. The album has a few strong points, including "Save Me" and "Freedom," a haunting number featuring Nicks. But most of the material is quite forgettable. And there would be even less reason for optimism by 1993, when Nicks left as well.

Behind The Mask

1. Skies The Limit
2. Love Is Dangerous
3. In The Back Of My Mind
4. Do You Know
5. Save Me
6. Affairs Of The Heart
7. When The Sun Goes Down
8. Behind The Mask
9. Stand On The Rock
10. Hard Feelings
11. Freedom
12. When It Comes To Love
13. The Second Time

Availability: Around $4 used.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a chance to see the TIME version of Fleetwood Mac open for REO Speedwagon at Wolf Mountain in Park City Ewwwtah around 94-95.  Really loved their show as it featured some of Dave Masons solo stuff as well all the "hits", but was I impressed with Bekka Bramlett as well, but it never translated into a purchase.  This TIME album is on my list to investigate further as I think it may have some cool stuff on it.  That all said because I think the drop off from Tango In The Night to this was a big reason TIME failed.  This album went 100% unoticed, at least by the crowd I hung around and the radio stations I listened to at the time.  Cant say this will be a first for me, all I can say is that I don't recall hearing anything off of this album so I think its a first...  Away we go!

Couple of immediate thoughts...

• 90's production issues with the weak snare drum and thin bass.
  • Has a Rock-a-billy feel and not in a good way

These songs seem to go nowhere, In The Back of My Mind is 7 minutes of ... I don't know.  Vocally these guys cant even come close to Buckingham and the guitar work suffers as well.  Save Me sounds familiar, maybe this was the single?  Its plagued by weak production and muted guitar work as well as a boring chorus, but in the context of what I've heard so far, its the best track up to this point.

Six songs in and this is the first Nicks track I've heard.  Maybe that's part of the problem here as well, they didn't really play to their strengths - or maybe Nicks was in the process of checking out herself?  But even her contributions seem like filler, so I'm thinking she was fulfilling and obligation and looking forward to moving on at this point.  Her closer is likely the best thing to be found here.  The two new guys they tried to use to fill in for Buckingham simply were a mistake.  I will fall short of calling them awful, but they are no fit for this band.  They tried to turn them into a Rockabilly band and it seems McVie/Fleetwood/Nicks gave them a long rope ...

Still, listening to this make me think that there was some resolve in the changes that were to come and in those changes were some moments that we all missed out, OK that's the thought process, time to see if its true...

I say fair album.  Christine McVie has been my least favorite of the modern band, but her stuff seems to be a little better here than everybody else's.  With one exception, and that is In The Back Of My Mind.  That's a dang good song.

The guitar work here is quite good.  I have no qualms there, but something that Buckingham gives the band is missing.  Maybe it's mostly his vocals.  It's not like they replaced him with one dude, it took two.  

I do think that Burnette's voice is a bit better than Vito's.  

The album feels laid back, even in the more up tempo songs.

The guitar on the song When It Comes To Love reminds me of a Robert Plant solo tune.

Nicks seems almost like a non-factor here.  Her best song on the album is Freedom, and I see from Wikipedia that it was co-written by Mike Campbell.

Overall, I'll say again that it's fair.  The guitar work by the two subs was pretty good and that was a plus, but not good enough to make me wanna purchase this.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos