Classic Rock Bottom

For the twelfth album in the series I thought up all by myself, you've been brought the 1981 release from Joe Walsh, There Goes The Neighborhood.

This is the followup to the platinum selling But Seriously, Folks..., released in 1978, which included JW's biggest hit, "Life's Been Good". The album reached #8 on the charts while the LBG single reached #12. Those that listened to AM radio back then got the short version of the song at 4 1/2 minutes. Imagine the surprise when you found out later that the actual song was over 8 minutes long. Yep, imagine that. 

TGTN reached #20 on the charts with "Life Of Illusion" reaching #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart. However, this album is not certified. As a matter of factual fact, BSF has received the highest certification of any JW album with So What and The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get both certified as gold. Kind of strange since it is Joe Walsh, at least to me.

I really like this album. Not a bad track on the album with the standout (at least to me) being "Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk)". You'll find yourself singing along to it, plus you might find yourself singing along to a few others. That's good.

Now, courtesy of allmusic.com:

Joe Walsh's long and varied career has had its ups and downs, to say the least. Here, you see Walsh in good old rock form. The opening track, "Things," pretty much defines it all: drum beat intro, a simple riff kicks in, a few synths, and then Walsh's lead -- it's this simple formula that gives the album its charm. This is early '80s rock in its most entertaining and fun form. Walsh's lead guitar is, as always, breathtaking. The rock legend's trademark sound is prominently featured throughout the album, and undoubtedly here he performs some of his finest solos. The only qualm that one can pick is that the whole album is in a much-similar vein. This is classic rock, though: once you start, you want more. There Goes the Neighborhood is by far one of Joe Walsh's greatest works, particularly from this era. Indeed, after the three-year absence in solo releases, Walsh proved himself ready and able to adapt to the sound of the time with shocking ability.

There Goes The Neighborhood

1. Things
2. Made Your Mind Up
3. Down On The Farm
4. Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk)
5. A Life Of Illusion
6. Bones
7. Rockets
8. You Never Know

Availability: OOP, but a used copy can be found for around $22. Or, if you have extra $$$ to spend, there is a new copy for around $1300.00. The followup, You Bought It, You Name It is also OOP, which is a shame.

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been a vinyl and CD owner since they were released.  And my copies are gently used so that puts my selling price at somewhere between 22 and 1300 dollars.  Don't tell anyone but I'll go as low as 250 each!

Walsh has been a huge factor in my musical taste.  My older brother owned tons of his early stuff, including the James Gang albums, and my friends older brothers did as well.  So he was playing often.

Therefore its only natural that I gravitate to his music and I still do...  This album not only is cool but it still works well.  I have posted a few track from it over the past few years on here.  Most recently "Things" made a SHT appearance.  The bass work in Rivers, Bones, and You Know Never Know is awesome! And Down On The Farm is the typical Walsh silly song that works well.  But that's no surprise, for the uniqueness and silly lyrical interplay the music is never compromised, its top notch all the time.

Fine album!!!

I enjoyed listening to this album.  It has the typical Joe Walsh guitar work and the typical Joe Walsh vocals.

Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk) sounded familiar.  Maybe I've heard that one before.  Either way, it's a good track.  And I love the bass guitar playing on it.

Life Of Illusion makes me immediately think of The 40 Year Old Virgin.  I really don't remember caring for the song before that movie, but now I totally dig it.  

Rockies is a really nice song as well.

I don't own much Joe Walsh.  Maybe three or four albums.  I just checked.  I own Analog Man, The Confessor and The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get.  I've always wanted to pick up some more of his solo stuff.  Oh, and I do own The James Gang's Greatest Hits and Rides Again.  And of course I have all of his work with The Eagles.  So I guess I have a fair amount of his stuff, just not much solo stuff. I believe I'd like to pick this one up and maybe a couple more.  Any suggestions?

Good post...

But Seriously Folks and So What are easy to find and cheap.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos