Classic Rock Bottom

Since some tracks from the new Yes album will be posted in NMC shortly, I decided to grab another Yes album from my collection, something that is a bit lost. And forgotten.

And as this is my last Lost/Forgotten post*, it' comes with a few extras, which I'll get to later.

"Talk" was released in 1994 and would be the last album featuring Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye. It also had the lowest chart peak of any Yes album since 1972, as well as the shortest chart run.**

"Big Generator", the previous Yes album, was a bit darker than the monster selling "90125". Maybe that's why it sold less? Dunno, but still like the album.

This album is much lighter than "Big Generator", but there is a bit of darkness in it as well. Could be that 1994 wasn't a good year for bands like Yes, because I don't remember any hype or airplay for this album at all. Maybe I wasn't listening to the radio and reading music publications at that time either.

Either way, I stumbled across this album a few years later and picked it up on cassette. I had never heard of it, but it was cheap so I gave it a chance and found that I really liked it. Might be sacrilegious to say, but I like this album a bit better than "90125".  

One of my favorite tracks, "Walls", was co-written by some guy named Roger Hodgson who was in some band that was pretty big in the 70's & 80's. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album because it's so uplifting***.

Goodbye****.

Talk

1. The Calling
2. I Am Waiting
3. Real Love
4. State Of Play
5. Walls
6. Where Will You Be
7. Endless Dream
   A) Silent Spring
   B) Talk
   C) Endless Dream
8. The Calling (Special Version)

Availability: You can get the original version for around $6, or you can spring for the remastered version featuring a bonus track (which is what we have here: extra #1!) for around $18.

MSoTW: Extra #2! Thanks to Niels, there are two (2) mystery tracks this week. The first if from Niels, the second is from my warped collection. Still waiting on the mystery artist from last week though....

*For July

**Thanks All Music!

***Not that I'm wimping out or anything

****Roadtrip!

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see now...I read the post a couple of days ago, so I had forgotten that little tid-bit of information.  It is a cool song.

I got error 500 too...just wait a couple of seconds and try again...it took me 4 times for it to send correctly.

There...sent!

Yes!  Weird, I was just talking to someon eabout this album and I cant remember who it was.  THat ever happen to you?  ugh....

Anyway ...

Loved the opener, The Calling and even enjoyed the next track even though it was slower paced.  Along with the opener, my favorites are State of Play and Walls.  Love the progressive feel to Endless Dream. 

This may be a purchase for me.  Ive been stewing over picking up some of the YES catalog since I reconnected with 90125 recently.  In fact Ive had Closer to the Edge and Fragile (Remastered of course) in my hands only to put them back in the bin for reasons I couldnt tell you.  Besides these, any other YES suggestions?

The new one!!
Drama!
Thats the one you keep mentioning alot, you recommend starting there?

Not really since it's the only OTHER Yes album without Jon Anderson on vocals, but I love it. "Fragile", "Close To The Edge", "Going For The One" are all good ones.

Oh, and "Drama". That was featured as a lost album a couple years ago I think. Maybe I should re-feature it when I am back?

Yes you should

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos