Classic Rock Bottom

This is not really a L/F Album post, but rather a "Hey, let me put something up that MAY interest you, something that, at first listen, you'll hate but might just grow on you after a couple listens even though it features someone/something you don't really like."

So, you'll start listening and you'll feel like:

But let me tell you something.....

Even though it features a bit of                                                                                                    

and you'll wish it all would go away and maybe end like this

I think you should still listen or something like this might happen:

Well, that's out of the way then, call it a kind of warning of what you're getting into.

Again, these are NOT lost or forgotten albums (go ahead and say it) but I'm ding something a bit different this week, just because I can.

What we have here is failure to...wait, what?

Yeah.

Ok. It's symphonic death progressive metal. There. It's out of the bag.   

We've got ourselves "Deliverance" from 2002 and "Damnation" from 2003. Same band, two totally different styles. Supposedly this was supposed to be one giant mega-album, but the record company geeks put a kibosh on it.

Yes, there are vocal styling from our lovable furry friend pictured above. Yes, you'll probably hate it just because of CM. No, you can't bypass listening this week, cause there's some stuff that'll surprise you.

Think of the CM vocals as just another instrument. If it really bugs you (and it's really not prevalent as you'll notice after giving the first album a listen) just listen to the melodies. Listen with headphones. Just block out CM and you'll be impressed. If not, than your soul is dead.

Oops, sorry about that last sentence. This type of music makes me feel froggy.  

"Deliverance" is a heavy album while "Damnation" is much more laid back (nope, no CM vocals here!). Would be kind of fun to make your own mix of both albums, try to blend each song into the other.

I'm thinking that "Damnation" is a fine, fine album to lull your child to sleep.Just pop that sucker in and hit "repeat" and have it running through his subconscious all night long.

Then, when he wakes up, he might just look like this:

Or not?

Deliverance

1. Wreath

2. Deliverance

3. A Fair Judgement

4. For Absent Friends

5. Master's Apprentice

6. By The Pain I See In Others

Damnation

1. Windowpane

2. In My Time Of Need

3. Death Whispered A Lullaby

4. Closure

5. Hope Leaves

6. To Rid The Disease

7. Ending Credits

8. Weakness

MSoTW: Yeah, whatever. Easy, take a guess. Like I care anymore.

Availability: Each around $10.

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You depress me. I thought you would be on my side. Are you turning into Rjhog Jr.?
Nono, God forbid. Just look at my first reply back in week#43, and you are thinkin' happy thoughts again.
Whew...thought I had lost you. Maybe you just had a bad day today.

Opeth - Deliverance...

This is gonna be very difficult.  My inclination is to hate this very much and turn it off.  But I have found insirpation and a renewed drive to get through this, and thats this picture of the Corrs.  Wait just a second I thought I actually heard a lyric, let me go back ...  nope!  nevermind, my mistake.  "A Fair Judgement" did have some nice musical moments as you elude to in your "description", but I think I have been tainted by the first 2 tracks which were awful.  And oh by the way, how friggin' long are these songs!?  Kinda feel like this is never gonna end  ... Nice break listening to "For Absent Friends" and then were back to the CM mucky muck.

I need to take a break and listen to Corrs music to counteract this ...  Lets see Forgiven Not Forgotten or In Blue?  hmmmmmm...

more to come...

Talk On Corners? Just listened to that this week.

The Corrs - So Young (Saturday Night Live, EUA 2000) por corrsvideolog no Videolog.tv.

This is why I got turned in (on?) to the Corrs. The drummer just looks so damn cute.

YES!  I like them too   Ive had them on my short list for several SHT lists but always backed off of them thinking it was a little too poppy for the consumers of this site.

I say do it. I have three of their albums and if I have three of their albums they must be good.
Guilty Pleasures Part II - coming up after this little series I cooked up starting this week...  Just for you!

Are the ladies sisters?  They kinda look the same.  The two out front are very attractive.  As for the music, I don't hate it, but I don't particularly like it either.  My wife does like this band if I remember correctly.

3 sisters and one brother...

Deliverance:

CM vocals suck.  Side question, is there a difference between CM vocals and vocals that are screamed but intelligible?  And yes, that is a serious question.  I agree with Scott, the first two songs are long as crap.  I do think the beat/riff in Deliverance is almost hypnotic.    I also agree that A Fair Judgement is good musically.   For Absent Friends would be my favorite overall track on this one. 

Damnation:

Much easier to listen to without the CM vocals.  Here, I agree with Niels, it's a little boring after a while.  But I like this style, just not for a whole album.  I think they could do some interesting stuff if they greatly decreased the CM vocals and combined the heavy and lighter styles together for one album. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos