Classic Rock Bottom

So I went to see my first Lynyrd Skynyrd concert last night.  The event was held at Lady Antebellum Amphitheater in Evans, Ga.  It was a terrific night for a show, with a nice, cool breeze and clear skies.  I attended the show with my good friends Randy Parker and Scott Bedgood, both of whom I've known since 1982.  Tickets were 44 bucks each and parking was 5 dollars.

There was an opening band, but I couldn't tell you their name.  They weren't terrible.  They played original material of the country/rock sort, probably leaning more toward country, but most folks were uninterested.  Everybody was there to see Skynyrd.

There are two things you can count on Skynyrd to bring to the table:  Great songs and a lot of guitars.  I can no longer name the band members, other than original member Gary Rossington, Johnny Van Zant and Rickey Medlocke.  I didn't realize until last night that the current drummer is Michael Cartellone of Damn Yankees fame.  Anyway, none of this really matters.  The heart of Lynyrd Skynyrd was ripped out in 1977.  I'd call this more of a tribute band, but a very good one.  Unless you are stoopid, when you pay your money for a Skynyrd show these days you know that very little remains of the band that made these songs.  But you get a damn good show.  How's this for a playlist?

1. Last Of A Dyin' Breed (New song from latest album of the same name)

2. What's Your Name

3. Down South Jukin'

4. That Smell

5. Saturday Night Special

6. I Know A Little

7. Simple Man (Van Zant sends a shout out to our troops to kick this song off)

8. Medley: Gimme Back My Bullets/Whiskey Rock-A-Roller/The Needle And The Spoon/Tuesday's Gone

9. Good Teacher (Also from the latest album Last Of A Dyin' Breed)

10. Gimme Three Steps

11. Call Me The Breeze

12. Sweet Home Alabama

Encore:

13. Freebird

It was a somewhat short set.  I really wanted to hear Workin' For MCA, but it is what it is.  I'd say the show lasted about an hour and a half.  All in all it was quite enjoyable.  I do recommend to anyone that likes Southern Rock to support this band.  They, unlike many other bands, are still making new music, and although all but one of the originals are gone, they deserve your support.

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, $44? Damn. Now I know why I have stopped going to concerts.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos