Classic Rock Bottom

I only have one for you this week but its one we all been waiting for!  (well I have anyway).  Its Dream Theaters latest release and it s a self titled CD.

Dream Theater has received critical acclaim. Allmusic called it "one of the more dynamic, far-reaching albums in DT's catalog," giving special praise to Mike Mangini's full integration into the band. Loudwire gave the album a score of 4.5/5, praising its more streamlined sound compared to previous Dream Theater albums and saying that "Towering and atmospheric, ‘Dream Theater’ pushes the envelope into some new musical dimension, a cosmic realm reserved for the best "

It also received praise from Metalholic.com saying "Prepare to be not only submerged but actually touched by this album…’Dream Theater’ is an emotional leviathan". UltimateGuitar.com gave a positive review, saying "The musicianship is flawless (as always), the composition is genius, the mixing is great".

After being released on September 24, 2013, it sold around 34,000 copies in the first week to land at No. 7 on the Billboard 200 chart, making it the bands second highest chart position, behind Black Clouds & Silver Linings, which peaked at No. 6. It also is the bands third consecutive top 10 debut.[19] Also, the album topped Billboard's list of "Hard Rock Albums". It entered the Top 5 in eleven countries including Japan, Germany, Argentina, Holland, Finland, Italy, Switzerland and Canada; and Top 10 in seven countries including Denmark, Norway, Austria, Australia and United Kingdom.

Lets Get To it...

PLAYLIST -- > http://snack.to/a7nsbf3j

1 - The Enemy Inside

2 - Enigma Machine

3 - Behind The Veil

4 - Along For The Ride

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DREAM THEATER - 4 out of 6.

I'm not a fan, and I doubt, if I ever will be one. This is my third DT-album. I bought the first one back in '89, but didn't really like it. After being a member of this site, I become interested once again, and finally bought my second DT-album in 2010/11, I can't really remember which year it was released. I think, that album went High up on my top 10 of that year, but I haven't heard it since then, and don't really Care about the album now. I truely HATE the vocalist. Imo, he sounds like a cross between David Cassidy and Dave Mustaine, 90% Cassidy, 10% Mustaine. They are gifted musicians, but why does there have to be 2 or 3 guiarsolo's, and 1 keyboard-solo in each and every song? This is not a bad album, in fact it's probably better than the latest release. It is just not good enough, or THEY are not good enough. I think, that it WAS a good idea for Portnoy to leave DT. They are not getting any better than this, and that means just okay in my book. If this album also appears on my top 10 of this year, it will say more about the other releases, than about how good it is.
It's no Raven That Refused To Sing, that's for sure. But I love the updated sound as it feels like the Images and Words era to me, which I love.
Don't mention that album. RJhog will end up in a coma.

Oh my, I read this response yesterday and immediately fell asleep until just now.  Please don't ever mention ravens aga

Ok, so I listened to the free stream of this, wasn't going to buy it but did. It's still wrapped, sitting with other stuff I need to listen to. Do I have to listen to this since I already have and eventually will?

Yes, its in your contract

Dream Theater (Thumbs Even) 

I think this is....okay.  So far, it reached me quite like the last album.  But it's certainly not bad.  I like the more uptempo songs than the slower songs.  Mangini is really good on this album.  I don't have the slightest problem with LaBrie's voice.  This album seems to be a bit shorter on hooks than the previous.  The song Behind The Veil has a hook.  But you really have to take it for what it is, a lot of musicianship.

Dream Theater--Thumbs Up

I'm liking this even more now, maybe you picked the 4 bestest songs on the album? Maybe it's better than I originally thought? I dunno, but this is really growing on me. By the time I finally get around to listening to the whole album again, it might end up being my second favorite album of the year, after that Raven album. 

Heres what I agree with ...

• Im liking it more everytime I listen also
  • I too like it better than I thought I would
  • It may also be be my #2 album
  • Agree its not quite up to the Raven That Refused To Sing though

Man, I really wish that Raven would have sang, it might have made that album tolerable.

Rumor is Part II is in the works and the Raven still isnt singing...

Here's what I agree with:

• Rumor - because that remind's me of a great Fleetwood Mac album.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos