Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner #195 - Christopher Cross, Jackson Browne

Finally my turn to post some new releases from 2014 that I've had for a bit.  Doesn't mean they are bad though ...

So here's two for you hardcore fans!  OK, maybe not hardcore.  I may be the only on here who enjoys these two musicians still, but for me these are really solid albums, just don't start a party with them!  Check them out, you may be surprised...

To listen, click an album cover, any album cover....

Christopher Cross
Secret Ladder

1. Reverend Blowhard
  2. The Times I Needed You
  3. Light The World
  4. We Will Remember You
  5. Got to be a Better Way

Jackson Browne
Standing In The Breach

1. The Birds of St. Mark
  2. The Long Way Around
  3. You Know the Night
  4. Which Side

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christopher Cross--Thumbs Up

This morning at the grocery store, "Ride Like The Wind" was playing. And now there's this. Collusion? Could be. I don't have a problem with Christopher Cross, he's nice to listen to on occasion, especially the debut album. This is good stuff EXCEPT when Michael MacDonald rears up on "Light The World". He almost ruins the song, which is typical, since he always ruins songs for me. He sounds like crap, especially on this song. Still, his awfulness wasn't enough to completely ruin the whole track. All in all, a very pleasing listen. How many tracks did Eric Johnson play geetar on? I'm almost sure he's playing on tracks 1, 4 & 5.  

I pre-ordered this release on his website and got it autographed.  That's always a nice touch.  I love MMcD and what he brings to Cross' music.  They collaborate a lot. But I understand those who don't. 

Interesting enough this Secret Ladder album is quite angry lyrically.  A real departure for Cross.  But as usual, the musicianship is second to none.  The details in the music and the playing are always front and center to me when I listen to him.  Always seems like you hear something new every time you play something form him

Jackson Browne--Thumbs Up

Never been the biggest JB fan, but last year I picked up a few of his earlier albums and liked them so there's that. This was another nice listen, he did sound a bit ragged at the beginning of the first song, almost sounded like Bob Dylan. Then I guess he got into a groove or something and started sounding like himself. Not a bad track here, no MM on backing vocals (which is always a great thing). Really liked the last track.

Two fine picks.  

Shocked to say the least.  I like Browne as well, though I rarely agree with his politics and how he infuses his music with them, I cant discount the how well the music works though. 

Christopher Cross

That first track is somewhat bluesy and somewhat jazzy.  Nice combination.  Very impressed with the guitar playing on this track.  Next track has a mixture of dark lyrics and inspirational lyrics.  Not bad.  See, I'm more in agreement with Scott regarding McDonald.  I've always enjoyed his voice and still do.  This is a very good track (Light The World).  Well, except for that group chorus.  Not really something I like.  But I could hear this being a hit in another time and place. As a matter of fact, some of this sounds more like Peter Gabriel than Cross.  We Will Remember You sounds instantly great.  Who is the female vocalist?  So I'm not crazy about the chorus, and the radio chatter reminds me of Queensryche's American Soldier.  Fantastic guitar solo.  Overall, nice message and song.  Some more cool geeeetaring kicks off the last offering here.  He has said the "A" word twice now.  This last track is the best yet.  Love the guitar playing.

Overall, he still has that exact same voice.  Well maybe he can't hit the high ones quite as well, but he still sounds great.  He was featured on Sunday Morning a couple of months ago, really enjoyed that.  So thumbs are mostly up for this one.  Probably won't purchase for now, but you never know.

Did you post this on the FB page?

not yet...  will do soon though

Jackson Browne 

First track reminds me of Fountain Of Sorrow for some reason.  I don't hear the roughness Jon mentions.  He sounds terrific.  Like the laid back vibe of the second track.  Sounds to me like his songwriting is still up to very high standards. The female backing vocals on the chorus are a nice touch.  The extended, two minute guitar outro, while pleasurable to hear, could have been even better.  There can be too many notes, but there can also be too few notes.  Still a cool song overall.  Can't believe, from the start of it, that Scott would like You Know The Night.  It sounds really country.  But I like it just fine.  The acoustic and electric guitars mesh really, really good.  Country sounding backing vocals.  Terrific song.  Scott should listen to more of this type of country.  Maybe it gets a pass because he is the furthest from twangy that someone could be.  That has to be it.  Best track so far.  Dang man, this just keeps getting better.  Sure wish this would've ended up in NMC earlier in 2014.  Would have loved for it to be consideration for my nominations.  Which Side is a bit heavier, but still has that Americana feel that I dig.  I can't say I would agree with all of his political views, but I don't mind any song that questions the way things are going in our country.  This one seems to do that well.

Overall, thumbs are at full attention.  This is on my Amazon Wish List.  I will get it and listen to it in full.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  That is the purpose of this forum, and it has worked quite well today.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos