Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner 2011 Cleanup Part II (The Outfield, Needtobreathe)

So Im cleaning up a couple of releases that didnt get posted in 2011, but I only have 2 and not 46  ...   Jons gonna love this one!!!

Click Here to play -->  HERE

First up is...  The Outfield - Replay

1. Aladdins Cave

2. California Sun

3. New York City

4. Call It Out

5. Wonderland

From the Interwebs...

The new album is chock full of memorable hooks, sunny harmonies and multi-layered guitars, just like how the band sounded back in their heyday. It’s almost uncanny how lead singer Tony Lewis can hit those high notes as he did way back when. It’s also great to see drummer Alan Jackman back in the fold. Jackman has been sorely missed over the years and so his presence and his style of playing has obviously re-energized the band. As a matter of fact, the new material has a focus and drive that hasn’t been heard from the band since 1987′s “Bangin’” album. This might also be related to the fact that main songwriter/guitarist John Spinks has been battling some health issues these last few years which may have given him all the more reason to put together some “A game” material this time out.

and batting clean up...  Needtobreathe - The Reckoning

6. Drive All Night

7. Slumber

8. Maybe Theyre Onto Us

9. Keep Your Eyes Open

10. Devil's Been Talkin'

From the Interwebs...

The Reckoning is a surprisingly cohesive work that displays everything you need to know about Needtobreathe, from their showy side to their more reserved acoustic ballads. While its tones range from bone-chilling (‘Oohs and Ahhs’) to pastoral (‘A Place Only You Can Go’), there is never a moment that feels disjointed or out of place. It may not be memorable over the course of its entire length, but there are simply too many unique offerings to overlook what Needtobreathe brings to the table. This is a truly inspired effort with some outstanding individual songs, and it indicates only positive things moving forward for this band.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am behind on Rjhog's as it is, I have something like 38 more to go. I am so stoked to listen to the Outfield though.

The Outfield (Thumbs Completely Sideways)

It's not bad.  It sounds just like the Outfield of old, which is a good thing.  The only drawback is that it's a little underwhelming.  No standout tracks.  I was gonna buy this when I first read that it was being released, then I sort of forgot about it.  Scott mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, and I figured he would eventually post it.  I'm glad I held on to the money.

Needtobreathe (Thumbs On The Way Down)

I could tell from the album cover that this was gonna be similar to what I've been listening to lately: Folk.  Wrong!  I don't know what this is exactly.  The description above didn't help at all.  The only style I can get out of it is Pop.  Hey, I've heard much worse, but I sure was hoping for some good folk music.

The Outfield--Thumbs 3/4 up

Must still be the that crappy Pop Evil album affecting my senses, but I'm actually diggin' this. It's like something in their bodies dropped and they found that, yes, they do have danglies and didn't write an album for the little girls. Some of this sounded a bit like Saga for some reason. 

Needtobreathe--Thumbs in the middle

Hmm...it's ok I guess. There's that quavery voice though which bugs me. "Maybe They're On To Us" is a cool song, so I'll give them that much.

WINNER: The Outfield. Who woulda thunk?

to say these reviews shocked me would be an understatement.  I think RJ needs ot go back and listen again...

I'm guessing you mean The Outfield...

Alright, so I went back and listened again.  And I must say I have to change my original statement...but only slightly.  My thumbs are still completely sideways, but I said there was nothing that stood out here.  I'll change that to say Alladins Cave is a standout, very nice track.  I don't care for California Sun at all, and New York City just doesn't grab me.  The last track, Wonderland, sounds almost like it could have been a hit in the 80's.  So one standout track, one pretty good track, and 3 underwhelming tracks for me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos