Classic Rock Bottom

by "su mayor fan" Scott

The much anticipated new Santana album features the classic lineup from the Santana III era.  For those who don't know that includes Gregg Rolie and Neal Schon, so this could be very interesting...  What say you?

Click the album cover to listen>>

1. Shake It
  2. Freedom In Your Mind
  3. Caminando
  4. Blues Magic
  5. Foregiveness

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I listened to this yesterday and must say that I liked it (for the most part). The two songs with Isley seemed to be a bit off, almost like they didn't fit in. It'll probably take a few more listens to have them "fit", but we shall see.

You know what's great about this album? IT'S FRIGGIN' LOOOOOOOOOOOONG! Don't you just love looooong albums?

Now I shall listen to these five tracks (the first one smokes) and see if that one Isley tune now "fits".

In this case I like the longness of it, its interesting all the way through...

Nope, the Isley song here still doesn't fit in. Doesn't mean it's bad, the two songs just seem to take me out of the album for a bit. Overall, this is a fantastic album.

I think youre right, but I wouldn't want those two Isley songs removed either.  But I'm in agreement, this album is really very strong.

The production (as expected) is some of the best I've heard... And though Rolie voice has aged, a lot!, its so nice to hear him front this band again.  And the two guitar attack is not a "who can shred the fastest/most", but rather, its just cool jamming from two guys who know how to play off one another musically...

Great album!! 

I haven't bought this, but I have listened to the entire album.  The first song is a serious jam for the most part.  Nothing wrong with that.  Some scorching guitar playing for sure.  Freedom In Your Mind has a really cool rhythm guitar part. I guess that's Mr. Isley singing.  I don't hear the "fit" problem that Jon is referring to.  I do find the part where they "sing" the rhythm guitar part a bit amusing.  I do the same thing in my car, so who am I to criticize?  I like the way the organ works in the song.  Caminando isn't a song that does much for me.  Again, the playing is fantastic, but it's not something I would spin repeatedly.  Blues Magic is wickedly cool.  It's good to hear Rolie's voice here.  Forgiveness is okay.  Killer playing and a decent tune, but it drags on a bit.

Which brings me to my biggest gripe here.  You've heard it before.  The album, at 16 tracks, is just to long to enjoy in a single sitting for me.  I do like the majority of the material, but 75 minutes is too long.  Obviously, if it's music that you are really getting into, that may not be an issue, but I like a more economical album (like Cheap Trick's new 39 minute album).  Just an opinion, as we all have 'em.  I've been trying to be more choosy this year, but my last few purchases, other than Cheap Trick, have possibly gone wayward.  Got to get back to being choosy, and for now, I'll choose to let Scott and Jon enjoy the goodness of this 75 minute album.

Of the 4 purchases Ive made this year all are in serious rotation...  Versus the last couple of years which I was far less selective.  This one feels like it will stick with me.  Santana is a hit or miss band for me, but they went on a run of some greatness at least twice and that's the couple of albums released by this incarnation including the predecessor 'Abraxas', and then again beginning with 'Moonflower' through 'Shango'...  Nice work there...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos