Classic Rock Bottom

Well, at long last, you are able to make a playlist at Podsnack, but better late than never here's NMC#117. And it might just (for me) be the best NMC this year, because I know, that some of you (RJHog) hate The Steven Wilson-album, but imo these two albums are by far the best releases so far in 2013. These two albums are the only 2013-albums, that I still listens to, at least twice per week, and yes it is PROG, and it's damn fine Prog. Oh, and I have cheated a bit, because the third song I have posted from Steven Wilson is a track from a third album, that I have bought this year that I really, really love, but it's not really a "2013-album" and it is not new songs, but since most of you probably have got both of these albums, I thought I would post a song, I don't think any of you have got, well maybe Scott has the original version, but it is Steven Wilson singing the lead on a Genesis-song from "Genesis Revisited II". Well, here we go:

SPOCK'S BEARD - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (Deluxe)

1. I Know Your Secret

2. Submerged

3. Waiting For Me

4. Down A Burning Road

STEVEN WILSON - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING (And Other Stories)

1. Drive Home

2. The Watchmaker

3. (From Genesis Revisited II - Can Utility And The Coastliners)

And you SHOULD be able to listen right here, I hope:

http://share.snacktools.com/F9CA5FD9E8C/adpabsf3

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spocks Beard (Thumbs To The Ceiling)

I'm loving this album.  Submerged is the song of the year.  How incredible are the vocals on this song?   This guy can flat out sing.  He sounds a bit like Tommy Shaw.  The guitar work, really everything, is fabulous.  This has taken over as Album Of The Year for me.  

Steven Wilson (Thumbs On The Floor)

I hate it.  Except for the first track (on the album - Luminol), which is way cool.  I'll put this on when I'm having trouble getting to sleep.

SPOCKS BEARD ...  Two Thumbs WAY up!

Yup, count me in as the best album of the year so far.  This is simply spectacular.  I love that you posted a track from the second disc.  Something Very Strange is my pick for best track on disc 2 though, that one is simply stunning...  But please don't ask for a best track on disc one, because they play so well together.  It's been in my player since the day it arrived (which was way before Jon got it I'm sure).  This is a must have for any prog fan or fringe prog fan

Best song on disc one is Submerged.  I already said that.

I read that it was a song from one of the singer's solo albums.  I need to hear that too.

STEVEN WILSON ... Two Thumbs trending up further than I expected them to be

I too liked Luminol, and I really like that first track posted here, Drive Home, it really kicked in nicely at the end, and the acoustic interlude that was just prior to the geetar work was really Alan Parsony, loved that!  The Watchmaker has a real nice flow to it, and though I think the opening of these tracks, they could move a little quicker, I loved the ride by the end of the song.  The musicianship just works, and the openers are just his style Im guessing, but these songs work.  This is going on my wish list!

Nice work Niels!!!  2 for 2 for 2 weeks in a row... Lets hope this high quality new release trend continues!

Yes, you're right, RJhog, that guy can really sing!! There's not a bad track on that album, even though disc one is better than disc two. I'm not sure which 2 songs were co-written with Neal Morse, but I wouldn't be surprised if "Waiting For Me" were ne of them, because it sounds like a Neal Morse-kinda track.

But I strongly disagree, that the SW-album is boring!! There's a lot happening on this album, and Wilson rocks like he hasen't done in quite a while. It is the best produced album I've heard for a long time, and "Drive Home" is probably my favorite-song of 2013 so far. I can think of many "fast Heavy rock" or "Southern Rock"-albums (I probably can't mention that many southern rock-albums, come to think of it) the are sooooo much more better to use before bedtime, if you're having trouble sleeping.

And Scott, yeah well this is my favorite from the second disc, but "Something Very Strange" is also very very good.

Great that you like the SW-tracks. You'll have to buy this. It's his best solo-album so far, and yes, the songs might be slow in the beginning, but as you say, they "kick in" at the end, and I think all of the tracks on the album does that. When you have heard the album as many times as I have, you don't think of the "slow starts", because you know, that every song is great to listen to from start to end. Right now, I tend to have this album on the no. 1 spot and Spock's Beard on a close no. 2, but both albums I would give 6/6.

To quote Niels..."There's a lot happening on this album."

...I can't hear it 'cause I'm too busy sleeping.

Steven Wilson--Thumbs WAY THE HELL UP

Anyone that doesn't notice all the greatness in each and every song is no friend of mine. This album is superb. One of the top 3 albums of the year for me so far.

If I ever wake up I may take offense to that statement.

Eh. No big loss.

Not for me.

Ordered the Steve Wilson disc with the Auto-Rip option. Its on my iPod and I now have Spocks Beard in the CD player and Wilson on Aux...  AWESOME!

Niels ...  This Steve Wilson release is 100% on point!  Gets better with every listen and even more with every notch up on the volume control!

Thank you!! I'm glad that you and Jon have seen the light. RJhog?  

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos