Classic Rock Bottom

by "damn, these guys have been around for years" Jon

Nazareth--Rock 'N' Roll Telephone (June 2014)

1. Boom Bang Bang

2. Back 2B4

3. Rock 'n' Roll Telephone

4. Long Long Time

5. Not Today

Uriah Heep--Outsider (June 2014)

1. One Minute*

2. The Outsider

3. Is Anyone Gonna Help Me

4. Can't Take That Away

5. Kiss The Rainbow

*This was featured on a recent S or T, but had to include it since these picks are all even numbered and there's 11 tracks on the album.  

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nazareth

Boom Bang Bang - Hmmm.  If this was a new band with this song, it would be universally panned here.  Musically it's okay. The guitar solo is weird, sounds kinda like keyboards.  Maybe that's what it is?

Back 2B4 - Acoustic intro sounds good.  I know McCafferty has always had a "different" voice, but he really doesn't sound that good to me.  However, as this track goes on, it's a bit catchy.

Rock 'n' Roll Telephone - Okay, this song is pretty dang cool.  I dig that solo and the overall slow groove of the song.  Best song so far.

Long Long Time - These slow, delicate songs are where Dan does not sound good, in my opinion.

Not Today - This song is better.  Again, it's heavier and I like it better.  It suits Dan better.  

Overall, I'd say I'm at about 50% on this one.  I held off picking it up, and I'm kind of glad now that I did.  That leaves me enough money to pick up the new Ace Frehley album, if it ever comes out.

Uriah Heep

I have this as well.  

One Minute - This is a good song.  I like the keyboards in this and through the whole album.  And although this song is good, it's definitely not the best on the album.

The Outsider - Great riff!  There's those cool keyboards again.  Very good up-tempo song.  Phil Lanzon for keyboardist of the year!  Killer solo.  Killer vocals.  Awesome song.

Is Anyone Gonna Help Me - This one brings the pace down.  Bernie Shaw's vocals are just outstanding.  This is another fantastic song.

Can't Take That Awake - At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this song is also terrific.  Everything, keys, bass, vocals, everything.

Kiss The Rainbow - Ditto to all the above.

This is a terrific album.  And Jon didn't even include Jesse, my favorite track so far.  Whoever reads this (Scott) should buy this album.

Dave Rimmer on bass is fantastic on Outsider.  Phil Lanzon on keys and Mick Box on guitar are damn good as well.

Nazareth ...  Two Thumbs up!!! 

I really like this release.  Some of their more recent releases haven't really resonated with me, this one does.  This, to me, is Nazareth being true to their roots.  The riffs are angry and the guitar is loud.  The opening of Boom Bang Bang is reminiscent of Expect No Mercy with some No Mean City thrown into the mix.  No modern band could pull it off,  One Set of Bones (not included here) could easily fit on Razamanaz, while Back 2B4 sounds like it came straight off Malice In Wonderland ... you get the picture.  Naz fans will rejoice

I'm with you on this. However, while "Big Dogz" was kind of hit-and-miss, I thought "The Newz" was a fantastic album from top to bottom. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I first heard this album. Very worthy purchase.     

Uriah Heep ... Two Thumbs almost all the way up

Rally like that first track.  I wish the drum production was beefier, this could have a real power quality to it with just little more oomph!  The Outsider has such a cool 70's retro feel to it, fit into their catalog perfectly.  Is Anybody Gonna Help Me, 3 for 3!  Thunderous undertones, love the sweeping keyboards that fill this tune ...  Cant Take That Away is probably the worst of the 5 posted here, but it jams nicely.  Kiss The Rainbow is really nice. 

This one is going on my wish list...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos