Classic Rock Bottom

by "I'm really digging these" Jon

Chicago--Now:XXXVI (July 2014)

1. More Will Be Revealed

2. Crazy Happy

3. Love Lives On

4. Watching All The Colors

5. Naked In The Garden Of Allah

Loverboy--Unfinished Business (July 2014)

1. Fire Me Up

2. Ain't Such A Bad Thing

3. Slave

4. War Bride

5. You Play The Star

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Loverboy first.  The cover is in the running for the worst album cover this year.

Fire Me Up - This, to me, sounds strait out of Lovin' Every Minute Of It or possibly Keep It Up.  The production isn't great, but I have heard worse.  Reno sounds great.  I wonder if his vocals were recorded fresh?  Can't imagine why this never appeared on an earlier album.

Ain't Such A Bad Thing - The production is terrible on this one.  Musically it's straight out of Get Lucky.  I could see this being released as a non-album B-side from that era.  Not a bad song, but it sounds like I'm listening on a radio that just misses having a clear signal.

Slave - This is totally different.  Kind of like Emotional was so different than the other songs on Get Lucky.  But I actually like this one.  And the production is better. 

War Bride - I've always liked most of Loverboy's ballads.  This doesn't sound like a typical one, but it's a good song I think.  I like the keyboards that run in the background for most of the song.  And the guitar solo.  But it's a bit short.  This would be a good song for an extended outro guitar solo. It does have a bit of one, with elements of Here Comes The Bride.  Then I get a strong Strike Zone (which is an awesome song) vibe and a short, cool keyboard outro.

You Play The Star - Another pretty cool song.  I could see this one being on Get Lucky and not bringing down the quality of that fantastic album.  

This sounds like a worthy purchase to me.  It's only 9.99 on Amazon, but shipping says 1-4 weeks.  They must be manufacturing them based on orders or something.  Strange.

Chicago (Thumbs Horizontal)

This is okay.  Easy to listen to but nothing really stands out for me.  The backing vocals on that second track during the chorus actually sound like Cetera.  All of these songs are quite laid back, with that third track being an actual ballad.  I have this but have yet to listen to it.  I'll probably be in no hurry now.

I'd say Loverboy wins this battle.

CHICAGO ... Two Thumbs Way Way UP!!!

I make no bones about not liking the Cetera-less edition of this band.  With the exception of Stone of Sysiphus theres not much too talk about.  This however, for all its polish and melodic ooey-gooey-ness may be a revival for them.  I say that hesitantly hoping they aren't trying to out-ballad themselves...  Love the first track, perfect tempo for my liking.  Smart geeeeeeetar work as well could've used more of that. Lamm sounds good, and the song is strong.  Crazy Happy doesn't evoke that early Chicago revival, but I did like the tone of this one, simple and effective.  Dual vocals work here.  Love Lives On, balladville... but I'm going to back off my earlier statement, this is just a very good song, I'm one step closer to putting this in my cart.  Watching All The Colors, now heres a step into the past, and its also a very nice recollection, not real early Chicago, but somewhere in that V - X range...  Naked In The Garden of Allah, ya this is purchase material!

LOVERBOY ...  Thumbs 3/4 up

Fire Me Up has that great geeeeeetar sound I loved from their first 3 albums.  Fire Me Up sounds like it cam straight off Keep it Up, sorry RJ, sounds a bit earlier to me.  The production on the first track does a bit heavy on the compression.  Aint Such A Bad ThIng is very nice, now here's you Lovin Every Minute of it track.  Didn't care for Slave and couldn't place it on any album - totally see why that never made the final cut and don't see why it did now... War Bride is nice, here again Im not sure where this fits in the catalog though.  You Play the Star?  Easily a Get Lucky track.  I'm about 75% to the goods on this, but I want to hear more before I purchase...

Chicago wins this weeks face to face battle - that's 1 for Chicago and1 for Loverboy, who will break the tie?

Chicago wins. There's just something about that album that sucks you in.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos