Classic Rock Bottom

Here is some left over metal and prog for you from way back in 2014.  The Mastodon album carries a parent advisory, so consider it not safe for work...kids...or preachers.  And Lunatic Soul is the "side project" from the bassist and lead vocalist of Riverside.  

Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun

1. Tread Lightly

2. High Road

3. Chimes At Midnight

4. Feast Your Eyes

5. Ember City

Lunatic Soul - Walking On A Flashlight Beam

6. Shutting Out The Sun

7. Gutter 

8. The Fear Within

9. Pygmalion's Ladder

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MASTODON - 3.5 out of 6

Some call this Prog, but I don't. This is Metal. I don't really care for "new" Metal anymore. I try to, some times, so there are more albums to chose from, but who am I kidding. The second time, I listened to this album, I had to stop, because it was pure noise, and no good tunes, and no good mucisians. I COULD had voted this album as best Metal release in 2014, because it's the only Metal-album, that I've heard more than once, and probably also the only 2014-Metal album that I've heard one time, since the other albums, I had to stop after 3 or 4 songs or less.

Mastodon--Middle Thumbs

This is the first Mastodon album I didn't bother to buy and it looks like it'll stay that way. I like the epicness of albums like "Leviathan" and "Crack the Skye", but with this album and their last one, the epic feel is gone. Now it just seems like they're kind of going thru the motions with songs sounding the same. Musicianship is top notch, but nothing stands out.

Lunatic Soul--Thumbs Up

Pretty much out there, but it's still a fun listen. Kinda like mood music plus it would sound good during space chases. I really like this for some reason. Should get this and listen on headphones. 

LUNATIC SOUL ...  Thumbs almost Up

Starting here because its the more interesting of the two for me and I like Riverside so much I posted them twice in NMC.  Atmospheric start to it, 8 minutes worth of atmosphere, needs to go somewhere...  Not complaining though, I sat through all 8 minutes which I would never do if it was not good.  Only to be followed by 8 more minutes of bassy atmosphere.  Gutter has a cool quality to it though, kind of liked it in a weird way, but I'm no where near purchaseville yet...  I get it, its experimental, its working with sounds and textures, playing with the mix!  Porcupine Tree does this so well in their early work.  This is interesting but not Porcupine Tree interesting. 

You'll probably like the texture of the Mastodon................not. 

Can't wait! !

MASTODON ... Thumbs have left the room

I can sum this up in any of the following three word statements...

• not for me
  • not very interesting
  • was pure noise (thanks for that one Niels)
  • awful production work
  • songwriting is lacking
  • vocals are awful
  • no good tunes (thanks again Niels)
  • not gonna purchase

or...

• all the above

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today