Classic Rock Bottom

by "the ones you've been waiting for" Jon

Metallica--Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (November 2016)

1. Atlas, Rise!

2. Halo On Fire

3. ManUNkind

4. Am I Savage?

5. Spit Out The Bone

Tygers Of Pan Tang--Tygers Of Pan Tang (October 2016)

1. Only The Brave

2. Glad Rags

3. The Reason Why

4. Blood Red Sky

5. Devil You Know

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

METALLICA - I've only heard it once, but to me, it sounds like they surprisingly have made their Best album since "The Black Album". It has the right amount of "high speed"-songs, well maybe not THAT "high-speed" but still. And the songs aren't as looooooong as on their last album. Hetfield is THE man on this album, with a good set of lungs and probably what makes this album good, a lot of awesome riffs. Hammet is the dissapointment with boring solo's, that sometimes reminded me of Ace Frehley playing the same tones over and over again (not the Frehley from the 70's mind you). But there's still life in Metallica, and the album sounds much better, than I'd expected. Respect, actually.....maybe not to Hammet.

METALLICA … Two Thumbs Up
Had a buddy that cranked up Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning back in the day but it was a bit out of my wheelhouse at the time, so I never caught back up back up with the band until the Black album and then I bought Load and that the was the end for me. This, may be a new beginning for me, I liked everything I heard here, especially Halo On Fire, that song is terrific! Niels maybe onto something about Hammets solo creativity, but the riffs are really good and the production is stellar! For what’s it worth I liked the solos, though I am certainly no Metallica historian so… I didn’t even have an issue with the quasi-speedy song. Good stuff here, this will go into the wish list

TYGERS OF PAN TANG …. Two Thumbs experiencing serious Deja-Vu!
YES! NWOBHM, what’s next Judas Priest? For whatever reason these songs feel like they’ve been written and played out sometime in the mid 80’s. That Jake E Lee like riff to lead this off actually worked out ok for me. Not sure why, but the tune, with all its cliché’s, sounded good to me. And so did Glad Rags, another already-ran tune. Why is this? Not sure because I have a feeling this wouldn’t have gone over as well say last Tuesday. Weird how that works. The Reason Why is OK, it’s the first real misstep, though just a small one. Their guitars are great!! Blood Red Sky could’ve came off the cutting room floor of a Whitesnake session, but the guitars are really very good, this song could’ve used more of them! Devil You Know is nice as well, why the 20 second fade, queue up those guitars and go!

Metallica - I have not bought this.  I almost bought it, but I changed my mind.  Everybody is, for the most part, raving over it.  I'm on track two now and it is what it is.  Nothing earth shattering for me.  The first track up is fairly normal for Metallica.  The second track does seem to try and mix it up a bit.  I like the guitars just fine.  Especially the harmony leads.  This is a long track but I do like it.  Still, as I listen through the rest of the tracks here, it just seems to take too much of my energy just listening to it.  That's not a pleasant experience for me.  Despite what everyone else thinks, I think I'm happy I didn't buy this.

Thumbs even at best...

Tygers of Poon Tang - I'm pretty sure I have heard something by this band in the past, most likely posted by Jon.  But I surely can't remember anything about them.  But immediately, I like this first song.  It's got a lot of nice melody for a "metal" band.  It has that late 80's riff too.  Glad Rags doesn't impress me though.  Reminds me of Unskinny Bop by Poison, and that song is terrible.  Apparently, the band still lives in the 80's as The Reason Why is the obligatory power ballad. But hey, I've always liked most obligatory power ballads.  This one is only okay, nothing memorable.  My first thought at the beginning of the next track is Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax.  But then they kick it into high gear.  Yep, this song kicks.  Gotta say the last track closes this little taster out nicely.  

Definitely, this band features well played guitar and a fairly good amount of melody.  I like this one better than the Metallica posting.

Thumbs Up.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos