Classic Rock Bottom

June tenth of this year, which happens to be the sixth anniversary of Classic Rock Bottom's opening, saw the release of fifth album, Hollow Bones.  If you aren't familiar with the band, they originate from California and feature a retro fuzzed out sound.  They are a band that many classic rock lovers seem to like, but for some reason they just hadn't resonated with me prior to this album.  That certainly has changed.

Hollow Bones is truly a throwback to the earlier days of rock and roll.  It's filled with fuzzy riffs and snazzy lyrics.  It's also produced by Dave Cobb.  Most classic rock folks may not be familiar with Mr. Cobb, but he is currently the hottest producer in the world of Americana and country music. Singer Jay Buchanan does a fantastic job moving the songs along.  From the opening riff of Hollow Bones Pt. 1, the whole band moves the songs along.  I found myself, the very first time I listened to the album, very interested in every track.  Not once did I find myself daydreaming. One of the drawbacks for me with the band to this point was that I felt like they fuzzed things out too much.  To the point of distraction.  Speaking of great riffs, Tied Up has a terrific one.  And it's one of my favorite songs of the year.  

All of those riffs aren't confined to the guitarist either.  Thundering Voices keeps the goodness coming.  Speaking of this song, I've heard it quite a few times lately on Little Stevens Underground Garage.  The synthesizer drives the song and riff.  The foot stays firmly on the pedal on Baby Boy.  This is another favorite of mine, melodically as well as lyrically.  If this were an album that had come along in the early 70's, Pretty Face would be the perfect song to end side one.  It is kick ass.  One of those "I can't believe you screwed me over" songs.  And the second verse is a terrific little lyrical exercise.  You see, the protagonist has come back with a ring for his girl.  Unfortunately, she happens to be on the floor with another dude when he looks through the screen door.  My favorite lyrical passage on the album is, "I've got to go, got to go, before I let it all go to black.  If you wanna come, you can come, but you'll have to do it laying there on your back".  

Fade Out slows it down a bit, but it's an emotional and tremendous performance by Buchanan. Black Coffee is pretty much straight up blues.  Undoubtedly, black tea is pretty good, but it's black coffee that does it for the singer.  The band is very convincing in it's blues work, that is for sure. The song is actually a cover of an Ike and Tina Turner song from 1972.  Hollow Bones Pt. 2 is up next.  We're up to track number eight, and there has not been a single lull in this album.  Not really sure about the connection between the lead track and this one, but who cares.  A song title is just a song title.  The closer is quite a change of pace for the album.  It's very slowed down with minimal acoustic guitar and string accompaniment for most of the track.  It's really a beautiful song.  Sometimes a ballad works well as a closer, and this is one of those times. By the way, I included a lyric video from Youtube of this song below.

Just like that, the album is over.  It's quite economical, coming in at just under 38 minutes.  Like I said, a true throwback.  It's not stuffed with filler of any sort.  My recommendation is that you get out and buy this record immediately.  You will like it.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 Retro Stars

Tracks:

1. Hollow Bones Pt. 1

2. Tied Up 

3. Thundering Voices

4. Baby Boy

5. Pretty Face

6. Fade Out

7. Black Coffee

8. Hollow Bones Pt. 2

9. All That I Want

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice review.

After seeing them open for Sabbath, the band has really hit my radar and the album is on my want list.

I will give this album another chance before the end of the year, but Rival Sons have kind of lost me. Their singer annoys me, by the way he's screaming more than singing, and I'm not impressed by either the guitar-player or the production. I agree, that this album might be the best they've released in a while, maybe ever, I don't know, but that's as far as I remember. Still, I got tired of the album after 2-3 or 4 listenings. They also appear to me, as trying to be cool or whatever, and I don't find this band cool at all. Annoying is more like it. It's like, I don't find them "honest". They try to sound like somebody else, and also look like some band, they're not. Be yourself. Not somebody else.

I dig this album, its groovy man, has a righteous vibe and some tasty beats bro!  But...  For some reason, and for me alone maybe, its the preceding album - Great Western Valkyrie - that truly grabbed my attention.  Not taking away from this one, I liked it a lot as well...  Cool band

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos