Classic Rock Bottom

SCOTTS HIDDEN TREASURES 2012 #1 - Give Me a Ride on Your Rollercoaster

New Year - New Numbering scheme, new theme, new treasures ...  This should be great!  Happy New Year everyone!

I am beginning this year by looking at specific bands and the hidden treasures from within their catalogs.  To do this I will be focusing on bands who have a long history and expansive catalogs.  I've been excited for this idea for awhile now and have had a blast going through several bands entire catalog, so with no further delays I've chosen to start with ... 

ABOUT... >>

REO Speedwagon was formed by students attending the University of Illinois in Champaign, Illinois in the fall of 1967. The first line up consisted of Alan Gratzer on drums and vocals, Neal Doughty on keyboards, Joe Matt on guitar and vocals, and Mike Blair on bass and vocals. In the spring of 1968, Terry Luttrell became lead singer, and Bob Crownover and Gregg Philbin replaced Matt and Blair. Crownover played guitar for the group until the summer of 1969 when Bill Fiorio replaced him. Fiorio then departed in late 1969, eventually assuming the name Duke Tumatoe, and went on to form the All Star Frogs. Another guitarist, Steve Scorfina, came aboard briefly, and was replaced by Gary Richrath in late 1970.

The band set about releasing the following discs...

• REO Speedwagon (1971)
  • R.E.O./T.W.O. (1972)
  • Ridin' the Storm Out (1973)
  • Lost in a Dream (1974)
  • This Time We Mean It (1975)
  • R.E.O. (1976)
  • Live: You Get What You Play For
  • (1977) You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish (1978)
  • Nine Lives (1979)
  • Hi Infidelity (1980)
  • Good Trouble (1982)
  • Wheels Are Turnin' (1984)
  • Life as We Know It (1987)
  • The Earth, a Small Man, His Dog and a Chicken (1990)
  • Building the Bridge (1996)
  • Find Your Own Way Home (2007)

REO Speedwagon switched lead vocalists three times for their first three albums. Luttrell left the band in early 1972, becoming the vocalist for Starcastle. He was replaced by Kevin Cronin. Cronin recorded one album with the band, 1972's R.E.O./T.W.O. but left the band during the recording sessions for 1973's Ridin' the Storm Out because of internal conflicts.  Ridin' the Storm Out was completed with Michael Bryan Murphy on lead vocal. Murphy stayed on for two more albums, Lost in a Dream and This Time We Mean It, before Cronin returned to the fold in January 1976 and recorded R.E.O.

By the end of the 1980s, the band's popularity was waning. In September 1988, Gratzer retired and in early 1989, Richrath was asked to leave over disagreements with Cronin regarding musical direction.  The 1990 release The Earth, a Small Man, His Dog and a Chicken, with Bryan Hitt (formerly of Wang Chung) replacing Graham Lear on drums, Dave Amato debuting on lead guitar, and songwriter/keyboardist Jesse Harms, was a commercial disappointment.   The band released a self-financed album entitled Find Your Own Way Home in April 2007. Though it did not chart as an album, it produced two singles which appeared on Billboard's Adult Contemporary radio chart.   REO Speedwagon continues to tour regularly, performing mostly their classic hits.

PLAYLIST VITALS

TITLE: Let Me Ride

ALBUM: T.W.O.

YEAR: 1972

LENGTH: 5:56

DID YOU KNOW: Under the leadership of guitarist Gary Richrath, this album continued the musical direction set on 1971's R.E.O. Speedwagon with Richrath's own classic compositions carrying the record. T.W.O launched REO on its first national tour and presented a more polished production than the band's debut album.  The album also introduced Kevin Cronin as vocalist and contributing song writer to the band, replacing Terry Luttrell. Highlights of the album include Richrath's "Golden Country," a compelling political statement with possibly his finest guitar solo as well as "Like You Do." Both songs, as well as Cronin's "Music Man," are frequently part of the band's current set list.

TITLE: Whiskey Nights

ALBUM: Ridin' The Storm Out

YEAR: 1973

LENGTH: 4:43

DID YOU KNOW: Ridin' the Storm Out is the third album by REO Speedwagon, released in 1973. It was the first album to feature Mike Murphy on vocals. The sessions started out with Kevin Cronin, but he left the band before the album was finished, due to creative differences. The title track would later become a hit for the band on their live album, after Cronin had returned to the band. Kevin's original version of "Son of a Poor Man" is featured on the compilation album A Decade of Rock and Roll: 1970-1980.

TITLE: Give Me A Ride (Roller Coaster)

ALBUM: Lost In A Dream

YEAR: 1974

LENGTH: 3:48

DID YOU KNOW: The fourth album by REO Speedwagon, released in 1974. It was the second album to feature Mike Murphy on vocals. The title track was written by Murphy and future bassist Bruce Hall, who would join the band in 1978. The title track was featured on the compilation A Decade of Rock and Roll: 1970-1980. The album was in print on CD format in 1992 for two months before being quickly deleted.

TITLE: (I Believe) Our Time Is Gonna Come

ALBUM: R.E.O

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 5:04

DID YOU KNOW: The album marked the return of Kevin Cronin to the band, after a four year absence. Many fans refer to the album as C.O.W. (or simply COW) due to the background of the cover art.  This was the last studio album to feature original bass player, and founding member Gregg Philbin, he would be replaced on the following studio album You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish, by current bass player Bruce Hall. "(Only A) Summer Love" features Gary Richrath on lead vocals.

TITLE: Only The Strong Survive

ALBUM: Nine Lives

YEAR: 1979

LENGTH: 3:52

DID YOU KNOW: The title Nine Lives was chosen because the album was the band's ninth, including their live album, and it also featured nine songs. It was the last REO album to prominently feature a more hard rock sound and because of this is a favorite by many fans.  This album rocks hard from the opening song to the brilliant "Back on the Road" that ends it. Killer guitar work from the underrated Gary Richrath, the solos here will blow you away.

Views: 256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's what I've got to say:

1. Love the new format.  I can't wait to see some of the bands whose back catalog you choose to explore.

2. Richrath was a fantastic guitar player.  Too bad he's no longer in the band.

3. Cronin, to me, was definitely the right singer for the band.  But the other guys aren't bad at all, especially Mike Murphy.  He reminded me a bit of Peter Cetera.

4. I'd like to have all of these albums.

1 - Thank you sir!

2 - Agreed, they need to woo him back and soon!

3 - Agreed, Lost In a Dream is a poretty darn good album!  You get to really hear Richraths writing style and that carries into the album with Cronin as well...

4 - TWO and REO are the absolute must haves, IMHOWINW  .

I will have to say....eh. Didn't do anything for me, but Nine Lives is my favorite REO album by far. Kevin Cronin's vocal stylin's have always bugged me, I just don't like the way he sings.

What would be mondo cool is a playlist of Bruce Hall songs. They generally are the best on the REO albums, IMHOWINW.

IMHOWINW = In My Honest Opinion Which Im Never Wrong?  just checking...

and secondly...  How could not like the wocka wocka geetar on Whiskey Nights?  I grew up on that song more than any other REO track.  In fact, I picked that one specifically thinking that you would appreciate it most, hmmm... 

yep you got it. An opinion (especially mine) can never, ever be wrong. Or that's what they say...

Did I miss wocka wocka geetar? I'm gonna have to listen again, that may raise the song a notch because I honestly did not hear it.

I heard it!

I dont think he listened all the way through, probably not a big REO fan so he skipped around IMHOWINW 

YHOIFW!

Listened again today and guess what? It STARTS with whocka whocka geetar and has it throughout. Don't know how I missed it, it could have been the previous song and how I couldn't get Cronin's vocal stylin's out of my head.

Still...didn't like even with the shocka whocka geetar. Oh well.

Everytime I think of REO, the first song that comes to mind is "In Your Letter" from Hi Infidelity. Not "Back On The Road Again" which kicks serious butt, but that insipid, horrible, disgusting "In Your Letter" or whatever the hell the title is.

In your letter

oo ooo

and whatever comes next

I have REO TWO spinning in my truck right now.  I'm only beginning track 4, but how cool is the bass work on track 2 (How The Story Goes)?

REO Two is a great old old friend of mine...  Its so overlooked but oh so good! 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos