Classic Rock Bottom

New Month, New Theme! 

But what is it about March that makes a great theme?  Let’s see what we have to work with...

March is...

• Colorectal Cancer awareness month
  • Women's History Month (United States)
  • The Ides of March
  • The vernal or spring equinox in the northern hemisphere and the autumnal equinox in the southern hemisphere
  • Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament
  • Spring Training for Major League Baseball
  • March's birthstones are aquamarine and bloodstone.
  • Saint Patrick's Day

OK, March has a lot going on, so what should we do?  Well, I’ve thought about doing a few of these, the reasoning being that if March comes in like a Lion and ends like a lamb were going through a lot of changes this time of year.  So each week we'll be changing like the weather.

First up?  We’re coming in like a Lion, and so what's a better way than with some Progressive treasures!

We'll play them shortest to longest...

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Elliptical Seasons

BAND: Starcastle

ALBUM: Starcastle

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 4:27

DID YOU KNOW: Work began on the bands first self-titled LP and it was released in early 1976. The response to the music of Starcastle was overwhelming and despite some detractors accusations that they sounded like a Yes clone, the album received heavy FM airplay throughout the US & Canada. The group began an even more intensive touring schedule including some of the biggest shows of their careers. The first album sold well, and Epic Records sent the band to Le Studio in Morin-Heights, Quebec with producer Roy Thomas Baker.  Although Roy was well known for his success with Queen, the band was not sure if it was a good fit or not, as Roy did not understand Starcastle's vocals and other aspects of the sound.

TITLE: Waste Away

BAND: Spocks Beard

ALBUM: Beware of Darkness

YEAR: 1996

LENGTH: 5:21

DID YOU KNOW: Alan Morse came up with the name after a particularly wild party, where he remarked to his brother, Neal, "It's almost as if we were in an alternate universe, like that one episode of Star Trek where Spock had a beard ["Mirror, Mirror"]. Wouldn't that be a cool name for a band? Spock's Beard." Then, when it came time to choose a name for the band, Alan made a list of over 100 names and threw Spock's Beard on the end as a joke, and the band chose it.

TITLE: These Walls

BAND: Dream Theater

ALBUM: Octavarium

YEAR: 2005

LENGTH: 7:36

DID YOU KNOW: an American progressive metal band formed in 1985 under the name Majesty by John Petrucci, John Myung, and Mike Portnoy while they attended Berklee College of Music in Massachusetts. They subsequently dropped out of their studies to further concentrate on the band that would ultimately become Dream Theater. Though a number of lineup changes followed, the three original members remained together along with James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess until September 8, 2010 when Portnoy left the band. In October 2010, the band held auditions for Portnoy's replacement drummer. Mike Mangini was announced as the new permanent drummer on April 29, 2011.

TITLE: Magnum Opus: Father Padilla Meets the Perfect Gnat/Howling at the Moon

BAND: Kansas

ALBUM: Leftoverture

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 8:35

DID YOU KNOW: The album was met with mixed reviews.  Rolling Stone called Leftoverture Kansas's best album to date, and said that it "warrants Kansas a spot right alongside Boston and Styx as one of the fresh new American bands who combine hard-driving group instrumentation (with a dearth of flashy solos) with short, tight melody lines and pleasant singing."  In contrast, Robert Christgau said the album lacked the intelligence and conviction of European progressive rock, and that the self-deprecating humor implied in the song and album titles is completely absent from the record itself.  Allmusic utterly condemned the album in their retrospective review, criticizing the band's "crippling ambition" and "lack of skills", and contending that "these compositions aren't particularly complex, rhythmically or harmonically, and are in their own way as ambling as boogie rock, which still feels to be their foundation." They concluded with the damning praise that Leftoverture is still better than any other Kansas album aside from Point of Know Return

TITLE: La Villa Strangiato

BAND: Rush

ALBUM: Hemispheres

YEAR: 1978

LENGTH: 9:35

DID YOU KNOW: The album's final track, the ambitious nine-and-a-half-minute "La Villa Strangiato," was the band's first instrumental release. According to Peart the band spent more time recording "La Villa Strangiato" than they did recording the entire Fly by Night album.  The album contains examples of Rush's adherence to progressive rock standards including the use of epic, multi-movement song structures, complex rhythms and time signatures, and flexible guitar solos, like those found in "La Villa Strangiato." In the 2010 documentary film Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, the band members comment that the stress of recording Hemispheres was a major factor in their decision to start moving away from suites and long-form pieces in their songwriting.

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This looks fantastic. Can't wait to listen (right after lunch).

But hey, you forgot that March is the first full month of NASCAR.

I live 2 miles from the Charlotte Motor Speedway, I didnt forget, Ive mentally blocked it out!  hahahaha

There was definitely no letdown in this one.  I'm not the biggest prog fan in the world, but I liked this.

Never Heard of Starcastle, but I like it.  May have to pick this up.  On a side note, they have some cool album covers.  Actually, all 5 of these could have easily been in the current tourney.  My overall favorite of these 5 would be Dream Theater, but all of them are really good.

Speaking of DT, this song was really good too.  I really like the vocals, just like I did on their release from last year.

I have the Kansas and Rush CD's.  I just ordered the complete Kansas catalog, so I'm excited about that coming in.  When it does, I fully intend to listen to every CD, Leftoverture included.

Pleasantly surprised that all of these were good for you!  Big Smile!!!

Starcastle is an interesting band as well, their lead vocaliust is actually Terry Lutrell, if that doesnt sound familiar he was the original REO Speedwagon vocalist and can still be ne heard on their debut album.  They are really a carbon copy of YES, but I like their first three albums quite a bit.

One thing about DT is that LaBrie has been a constant on vocals, they are always strong!  My favorite is easily Scenes From a Memory, love that! 

Thanks for the feedback...

Great stuff. 

I haven't heard of Starcastle either. Got a little YES-feeling at the beginning. Roy Thomas Baker is FIRST and FOREMOST known as the producer of GASOLIN's best known albums!!!!

Spocks Beard are great. This sounded a bit like Jethro Tull, at the beginning. I've read, that Neal Morse is making another solo-album and Mike Portnoy is of course on drums. This is good stuff!!!

And here he is, the good mr. Portnoy. He is definetly my favorite drummer at the moment. Can't wait until next week's release of Adrenaline Mob. Never really liked the singer from DT, though. He has got a nice little pop-voice, doesn't really fit imo.

Now one of these days, I will listen to the best Kansas-albums, because I've never listened to a whole album, just a few tracks here at CRB. What are the best Kansas-albums??

It's been a while since I heard this album. Also some good stuff, not their best though. 

Thanks Niels...

For me the best Kansas albums are (in no particular order)

• Leftoverture
  • Vinyl Confessions
  • Masque
  • Point of Know Return
  • Monolith
  • Somewhere to Elsewhere
  • Audio Visions

Ahem...In The Spirit Of Things. C'mon, show some love!

I played Starcastle at a video arcade in the 80's. Silly game but kind of addictive.

Your right, In The Spirit Of Things needed to be on the list as well...

Well, right now it appears to be "The Essential Kansas" I will spend some time on.

I listened to this for three hours straight, and loved it. So much I LISTENED TO IT THREE HOURS STRAIGHT!

Starcastle...played the game. Oh, mentioned that. Is it me or did they break out the funk and the whocka whocka geetar???I really liked this, might have to get me some Starcastle!!!

Totally dug the Spock's Beard song, yeah I still have to pick up more. Don't have this but liked the heaviness.

The rest I have, "Octavarium" is the least listened album from Dream Theater that I have. Don't know why, I don't dislike it or anything so will have to whip that puppy out. 

I can never get tired of La Villa Strangiato. NEVER. Was playing the drums on my desk to this whenever it  looped back around. Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT playlist!

Jonster OUT!

Nice!!  Thanks...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos