Classic Rock Bottom

The Ides of March

**Begin WIKI Plagarism**

The word Ides comes from the Latin word "Idus" and means "half division" especially in relation to a month. It is a word that was used widely in the Roman calendar indicating the approximate day that was the middle of the month. The term ides was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th day of the other months. The Ides of March was a festive day dedicated to the god Mars and a military parade was usually held.    

In modern times, the term Ides of March is best known as the date on which Julius Caesar was killed in 44 B.C. Caesar was stabbed to death in the Roman Senate by a group of conspirators led by Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus. The group included 60 other co-conspirators according to Plutarch.

According to Plutarch, a seer had foreseen that Caesar would be harmed not later than the Ides of March and on his way to the Theatre of Pompey (where he would be assassinated), Caesar met that seer and joked, "The ides of March have come", meaning to say that the prophecy had not been fulfilled, to which the seer replied "Ay, Caesar; but not gone."

**End WIKI Plagarism**

This made for a very interesting playlist!  Hope you enjoy

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Be Quick or Be Dead

BAND: Iron Maiden

ALBUM: Fear of the Dark

YEAR: 1992

LENGTH: 3:24

DID YOU KNOW: The Fear of the Dark album cover was the band's first not to be designed by artist Derek Riggs, whose contributions were rejected in favour of Melvyn Grant's. According to Iron Maiden's manager, Rod Smallwood, the band began accepting contributions from other artists as "We wanted to upgrade Eddie for the 90s. We wanted to take him from the sort of comic-book horror creature and turn him into something a bit more straightforward so that he became even more threatening." Melvyn Grant has since drawn several more covers for Iron Maiden, making him the band's second most-frequent artist after Riggs.

TITLE: Might Just Take Your Life

BAND: Deep Purple

ALBUM: Burn

YEAR: 1974

LENGTH: 4:40

DID YOU KNOW: The band began in earnest in March 1968 at Deeves Hall, a country house in South Mimms, Hertfordshire. The band would live, write and rehearse at Deeves Hall, which was fully kitted out with the latest Marshall amplification. After a brief tour of Denmark and Sweden in April, in which they were still billed as Roundabout, Blackmore suggested a new name: Deep Purple, named after his grandmother's favourite song. The group had resolved to choose a name after everyone had posted one on a board in rehearsal. Second to Deep Purple was "Concrete God", which the band thought was too harsh to take on

TITLE: The Game of Life

BAND: Scorpions

ALBUM: Humanity, Hour 1

YEAR: 2007

LENGTH: 4:04

DID YOU KNOW: Of note is the band's logo on the album's cover (Concept by Desmond Child and Concept /Design by Futurist Liam Carl): the text font is similar to their first two albums, as opposed to the band's more famous logo. This marks only the third time in the band's career (and the first time in 33 years) the less familiar font has been used. However, if one looks closely, their more familiar logo can be seen on the back of the neck of the female android.

TITLE: Killing Machine

BAND: Judas Priest

ALBUM: Hell Bent For Leather

YEAR: 1978

LENGTH: 3:01

DID YOU KNOW: Originally titled "Killing Machine". The album saw Judas Priest head towards a more commercial style; however it did still contain the dark lyrical themes as heard in their previous albums. At about the same time, the band members adopted their now-famous "leather-and-studs" image. Killing Machine was retitled Hell Bent for Leather for the US release, as the US branch of Columbia/CBS did not like the "murderous implications" of the album title. "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)" an early Fleetwood Mac cover, was added to the running order in the US.

TITLE: I'll Get Even

BAND: Megadeth

ALBUM: Cryptic Writings (Remixed and Remastered)

YEAR: 1997

LENGTH: 4:19

DID YOU KNOW: The album debuted at #10 on the Billboard Top 200, and was Megadeth's sixth consecutive studio album to be certified platinum in the United States. "Trust", a single from Cryptic Writings, became Megadeth's highest charting single to date. The #5 Mainstream Rock Track was also nominated for a Best Metal Performance Grammy in 1998. Press response to the album was mixed, but the album included four top 20 Mainstream Rock Tracks, including "Almost Honest" (#8), "Use the Man" (#15), and "A Secret Place" (#19). When asked about the eclectic nature of the album, Mustaine later said "(they) divided it into thirds. One part of the record was really fast and aggressive, one third of it was the really melodic, in between stuff, and the final third was really radio-orientated music like Youthanasia".

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Liking this play list, for sure!!

Glad you chose a great song from my favorite Megadeth album. It's my favorite because it is so diverse. I'll listen to this more than once!

Cryptic Writings is a great album in my opinion as well.  Thanks for listening!

Good picks Scott.  The standouts for me are:

Scorpions (The Game Of Life) -  I really like this album as well as this song.  I think it blows Sting In The Tail completely out of the water.  It's very easy to listen to from start to finish.

Megadeth (I'll Get Even) - Never heard this one before.  I don't have a lot of Megadeth (3 albums total I think).  Maybe I should check this one out 'cause this song rocks.

Yup, Cryptic Writings is a classic top to bottom.  Since it s Gordons favorite you can surely trust it...

Another great album-cover from Iron Maiden. They got to be the band with the most awesome album-covers. "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" is another one. Not bad track, but........give me D'ianno on vocals. THAT'S Iron Maiden. This is Samson Maiden.

Yeah, all the great classic bands played their first concerts in Denmark. Led Zep and Deep Purple. Also Jethro Tull if I'm not mistaken. Probably am. I like this version of Purple. Coverdale is a much better singer than Gillan. And Glenn Hughes is also better than Gillan. Good track.

If you have heard one Scorpions-album, you have heard them all. Booring stuff, I think. "Blackout" is the album for me.

Never liked Megadeth, never will. Mustaine annoys the shit out of me.

Killing Machine is an awesome album, and this is one of the best tracks. When it stops, my brain kept playing "Running Wild". Gotta listen to this album one of these days. Judas Priest made 6 classic studio-albums in a row. One of the best Heavy Metal-bands ever.  

So is it still Killing Machine where you live?  Its Hell Bent For Leather over here...

No, actually it's Hell Bent For Leather here now, but I bought the album in 1980, and THEN it was Killing Machine, and it will always be KM for me. I hate it, when "they" rename albums, or change the order of tracks, just like "they" have done on Ozzy's "Bark At The Moon". I heard it yesterday (very good album, but I think I'm alone around here with that opinion), and it was irritating, that the tracks came in a different order, than what I remembered from my '83-album. 

BoomTown Rats's "A Tonic For The Troops" has also a different "running-order" nowadays, than it had back in '79.

Listened to this today and this Iron Maiden band has interested me. Are they new? Is there anything by them I might enjoy? I'm looking for a band that would write songs about boots and slaves that are powerful and this seems like the type of band to do just that?

I have Burn and don't remember this song at all...actually, I really don't remember the album much. Hmm...

Too bad Scorpios didn't call it quits after this album. Much better than the followup.

Ok for JP. Not my favorite album, but it'll do.

And this IS a great album by Megadeth. Gordon is right on the money, as usual!

Nice playlist, Scott. Made me wanna get mean and ornery for some reason!

You dont like the Fear Of the Dark edition of Maiden do you....

There you go with that "Iron Maiden" stuff again.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos