Classic Rock Bottom

Out Like A Lamb

Stands to reason that if March starts as a Lion then it exits like a Lamb, however, this playlist was not as easy to put together as you might think!  I've said this a few times, but it’s too easy to put up some sappy ballads when a theme like this comes up, so I challenged myself to think out of the box.  And I think what I’ve come up with is some really solid tunes!  Most of which will be familiar to us on here.

But...  these are tunes that play very smoothly; they have a certain flow to them that, to me at least, really fits the theme.  The last tune is an instrumental from Santana, one of my favorites ever; its meaning is two-fold this week.  For starters it fits the theme perfectly and secondly its title is the same as March's birthstone, so it’s the perfect way to exit March!

So this week it’s not about songs you maybe have never heard before or hear very often, but rather, its about the mood and feel of the song.  So sit back, open your mind, and see if you hear what I tried to convey. 

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: The Voice

BAND: The Moody Blues

ALBUM: Long Distance Voyager

YEAR: 1981

LENGTH: 5:17

DID YOU KNOW: Long Distance Voyager is partially a concept album, as only half of the songs relate to the "voyager" referred to in the album's title. The final three tracks comprise a mini-suite that combines themes of carnival jesters and the chaos experienced backstage at a rock show.  The cover for the album was a painting from the Arts Union Glasgow. NASA's Voyager spacecraft is at the top of the front side of the album cover. Both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2's flybys of Saturn were in the news in 1980-81.

TITLE: Hey Nineteen

BAND: Steely Dan

ALBUM: Gaucho

YEAR: 1980

LENGTH: 5:07

DID YOU KNOW: The first track completed for the album was "The Second Arrangement." The song was a favorite of producer Gary Katz and engineer Roger Nichols. In late December 1979, after weeks of working on a particular recording of the track, approximately 3/4 of the song was accidentally erased by an assistant engineer who had been asked by Katz to ready the track for listening. It was Nichols who broke the bad news about the assistant's mistake to the band; Fagen walked out of the studio without saying a word when he was told.  Attempting to re-record "The Second Arrangement" proved to be too discouraging, and the song was eventually abandoned.

TITLE: Lowdown

BAND: Box Scaggs

ALBUM: Silk Degrees

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 5:15

DID YOU KNOW: After learning guitar at the age of 12, he met Steve Miller at St. Mark's. In 1959, he became the vocalist for Miller's band, The Marksmen. The pair later attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison together, playing in blues bands like The Ardells and The Fabulous Knight Trains.  Leaving school, Scaggs briefly joined the burgeoning rhythm and blues scene in London. After singing in bands such as The Wigs and Mother Earth, he traveled to Sweden as a solo performed.  Returning to the U.S., Scaggs headed for the boomong psychedelic music center of San Francisco in 1967. Linking up with Steve Miller again, he appeared on the Steve Miller Band's first two albums, Children of the Future and Sailor.

TITLE: Light Of Day

BAND: Little River Band

ALBUM: Sleeper Catcher

YEAR: 1978

LENGTH: 8:02

DID YOU KNOW: From 1976 through 1985, the group maintained a constant touring schedule which kept it in the U.S. for long periods of time and may have contributed to much of the constant shuffling of personnel. For example: The band's schedule was so busy that when drummer Derek Pellicci was severely injured in a gas grill fire in May 1978, the band brought in a substitute drummer (Geoff Cox) rather than cancel shows. Drummer Cox remained with the group through the summer of 1978 and even played alongside Pellicci after he came back until he was healed enough to continue on his own.

TITLE: Aqua Marine [Instrumental]

BAND: Santana

ALBUM: Marathon

YEAR: 1979

LENGTH: 5:30

DID YOU KNOW: In 1985, Bill Graham had to once again pull strings for Santana to convince principal Live Aid concert organizer Bob Geldof to allow the band to appear at the festival.  The group's high-energy performance proved they were still a top concert draw the world over despite their poor performance on the charts. Santana regained a great deal of respect in both jazz and rock circles, with Prince and guitarist Kirk Hammett of Metallica citing him as an influence.

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That really was easy listening.  That last track was almost hypnotic (in a good way). 

Hmmm...since I've heard the first 3 (and like them all, by the way), I have to choose from the last two for the Great Scott!

I'll give it to The Little River Band.  Very nice track.

I love love love the musicianship on the last 4 minutes of the LRB track!   Glad you liked it!

Yes, same here. I think that's one of the problems with today's music.  So much of it is geared towards radio airplay, which it probably won't get anyway.  Why not add some extended jamming on a song or two, forget the radio (unless you are Shinedown or Nickelback, of which I like the former but not the latter).

That Moody Blues album is excellent, really like the last song (hint?). I don't think there's a dud on the whole albu, the first MB album I ever bought and when the next one came out, I bought that too and was totally let down. 

Veteran Cosmic Rocker?

HINT!

The Moody Blues--I like the geetar solo

Steely Dan--Who is "Retha Franklin"?

Boz Scaggs--This song always puts me in a funky mood...

LRB--Sorry, but just could not get into this. Too dreamy or something?

Santana--I actually thought this was the LRB continuing. Might be LRB backlash or something, but didn't really get into it.

Forgot I was doing this:

I have 3/5.

Decent playlist, but a bit letdown with the final two. Sorry!

Great list Scott, but I'm kinda' with Jon, the first three are excellent songs, with the Moody Blues song being outstanding. I always Love that song, it's timeless! I like LRB, but this song not as much. I'm all for a little added music at the end, but I just didn't get into this. Like Jon, I missed where the Santana Song started, I had to go back listen carefully, to
 pick it up. Again, the songs, weren't bad, but the just didn't jump for me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos