Classic Rock Bottom

APRILS CONFORMIST POST

So Covers don’t really have anything to do with April except for the fact the guys all themed this week!  Me being the good little soldier complied with the executive order and so here’s my second attempt at cover songs in this forum.

Check out Attempt #1 right here if you'd like...

http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/scotts-hidden-trea...

For this week you’ve probably already heard a ton of covers, some really really good stuff has been posted and even including the old SHT playlist linked above, no one will hear a repeated song!

I think what I’ve tried to come up with is a pretty strong playlist!  What you'll hear is 5 tunes that I really enjoy and listen to frequently, so I hope you find this as time well spent.

Enjoy!!

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore
ORIGINAL ARTIST:  The Young Rascals
COVERING ARTIST: Angel
ALBUM: White Hot
YEAR: 1978
LENGTH: 2:50
DID YOU KNOW:  Written by Pam Sawyer and Laurie Burton, originally recorded by The Young Rascals. It was released as their first single in November 1965 and featured on their eponymous debut album the following year. The song was only a minor hit when released, peaking at number fifty-two on the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.  Covered by glam rock band Angel in 1978 It was the band's only Top 50 hit, reaching #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year.  The song is sung by Deborah Harry in the 1992 movie Intimate Stranger.  Shania Twain covered the song in 1990; the recording, however, was not released until 2001 on her album The Complete Limelight Sessions.  In late 1992, Australian rock duo Divinyls covered the song for the soundtrack to the film Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was also issued as the lead single from their second compilation album, The Collection. The single went to the top twenty in Australia (peaking at number nineteen), and spent sixteen weeks in the top fifty.

TITLE: Love Hurts
ORIGINAL ARTIST:  The Everly Brothers
COVERING ARTIST:  Triumph
ALBUM: Greatest Hits: Remixed
YEAR: 2010
LENGTH: 4:26
DID YOU KNOW:  The song was introduced in December 1960 as an album track on "A Date with The Everly Brothers", but was never released as a single (A-side or B-side) by the Everlys. The first hit version of the song was by Roy Orbison, who earned Australian radio play, hitting the Top Five of that country's singles charts in 1961. A recording by Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons was included on Parsons' posthumously released Grievous Angel album. After Parsons' 1973 death, Harris made the song a staple of her repertoire, and has included it in her concert set lists from the 1970s to the present. Harris has since re-recorded the song twice.  The most successful recording of the song was by hard rock band Nazareth, who took the song to the U.S. Top 10 in 1975 and hit number one in Norway and the Netherlands. In the UK the most successful version of the song was by former Traffic member Jim Capaldi, who took it to number four in the charts in November 1975 during a 11-week run. The song was also covered by Cher in 1975 for her album Stars.

TITLE: Portrait II
ORIGINAL ARTIST: Kansas
COVERING ARTIST: Kerry Livgren
ALBUM: Prime Mover (Redux)
YEAR: 1998
LENGTH: 5:49
DID YOU KNOW: In 1988, Livgren released a collection of previously unreleased AD songs titled Prime Mover.  Livgren played all instruments, and all vocals were performed by Warren Ham.  Prime Mover actually fell under the heading “Kerry Livgren/AD”, which Livgren recorded to pay bills, was mostly made up of material taken from unreleased AD demos. So why re-record Prime Mover?  In the words of Livgren: “Unfortunately, it was done in a hurry, on a very low budget, and under a cloud of disappointment about the demise of AD. The thought occurred to me - they re-make movies, why not albums?” ... So why re-record Prime Mover II?  Again, in the words of Livgren: “The best explanation I can offer is that, with time, the technology has taken such a leap forward that it became obvious to me that I could greatly improve both the quality of the recording, and in many cases the performances.”  And along the way Portrait, originally released on Point of Know Return, went from being a song about Einstein to a song about Christ and renamed as Portrait II.

TITLE: Fox On The Run
ORIGINAL ARTIST: Sweet
COVERING ARTIST: Ace Frehley
ALBUM: Anomaly
YEAR: 2009
LENGTH: 3:33
DID YOU KNOW:  Two versions were recorded by Sweet. The original version was produced by Mike Chapman in association with Nicky Chinn on the 1974 album Desolation Boulevard. There was also a more pop-oriented and totally re-recorded version self-produced by the band and released as a 7" single in 1975. The 1975 single version was included on the American release of Desolation Boulevard in 1975.  Many artists and groups have covered this song, including Scorpions (in German translation as Fuchs geh' voran), Eric Singer, Girlschool, The Lolas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, You Am I, Sha-Boom, Touch of Joy, Mad Max, Deadsy, Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13, Ace Frehley, MAKE-UP, The Academy Is..., and Nip Drivers for the Desperate Teenage Lovedolls soundtrack.

TITLE: While My Guitar Gently Weeps
ORIGINAL ARTIST: The Beatles
COVERING ARTIST: Peter Frampton
ALBUM: Now
YEAR: 2003
LENGTH: 6:54
DID YOU KNOW:  The majority of this CD was recorded at Frampton's home studio in Ohio, with a solid band that includes long time keyboard man Bob Mayo and bassist John Regan. All the tunes are original with the exception of a cover version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", which was recorded in honor of his friend George Harrison.  Originally written and sung by George Harrison, and first recorded by The Beatles in 1968 for The White Album.  The song features lead guitar by Eric Clapton.  In 1990 Canadian musician Jeff Healey recorded a cover version of this song that was released on his 1990 CD "Hell To Pay." Healey's version of this song featured George Harrison and Jeff Lynne on backing vocals and acoustic guitar. Guitar Heaven: The Greatest Guitar Classics of All Time, by Santana included "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (feat. India.Arie & Yo-Yo Ma)

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. I Ain't Gonna Eat My Heart Out Anymore - Can't say I know the original and I've definitely not heard this.  I just picked up an Angel LP on one of my trips to the flea market, but I just don't know their work.  I don't really like it (this song, that is).

2. Love Hurts - For me, Nazareth's version is the definitive version of this song.  I love the song, but I'm not crazy about this cover.  I do like the guitar solo, but I'm gonna have to say I'd pass on this one.

3. Portrait II - I probably should know this since I have the album and I know I've heard the album.  But I can't place it.  I do like the song though, especially the vocals.  This is the best one so far.

4. Fox On The Run - Scratch that, this is the best one so far.  I love Ace, and he does a great job on this cover.  The song sounds like it was written for him.  So this is a winner, but I still like his cover of Do Ya better.

5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - My favorite Beatles song.  Just a well written, beautiful song by George Harrison.  The guitar on the original is very haunting and masterfully done by Eric Clapton.  Peter Frampton's playing on this is phenomenal.  The vocals are just okay.  On a side note to Scott, this song might fit well in that thing we're kicking around.  On another side note, I have that Santana disc and I don't like it for the most part, but the cover of this song was very decent if I remember correctly.

Good post Scott.

Almost went with "Do Ya",  and I have to agree with you that its the better cover song done by Ace.  I stuck with this song for this post since we just got a new Sweet album to discuss on here as well, thought it was nice compliment to that.

Nice feedback!  Thanks

1. Very interesting!! I've never really heard much Angel. Back in the 70's, I saw them in the magazines I bought to get KISS-posters, and I thought they looked kind of stupid and girlie (Angel, Jon, not KISS!!) I liked this track. I can't say, that I know the original, but this was actually okay. Good drums. What's with the album-cover? Love Gun 2??

2. This I don't care for. I love the song, but Nazareth's version is soooooooo much better than this one!!!!! Triumph, huh? I did own a Triump-album once. Can't really remember if I liked it?

3. The singer sounds very much like Bobby Kimball. Not a bad track, but a bit on the boring side. Can't really remember if I have heard the original. Nah, it's not THAT bad. I kinda like it.

4. "Fox On The Run" might be the very first "rock"-track, that I REALLY, really liked. So........don't mess with it, Ace!! On the other hand, it's not a bad cover at all. Sounds pretty much like the original. Ace sounds like a different version of Brian Connelly. My favorite i Sweet was Steve Priest. He had a cool voice. 

5. Even though WMGGW is not in my top-25 over Beatles-songs, it's actually a very good song. This version might be one of the best version's I've heard. I never ever liked Clapton's "weeping" guitar on the original track, and Harrison was not at all, as good a singer as John or Paul. Frampton has made a very good cover of this song, indeed!!

Nice job, Scott.

Thank you sir!  I hesitated a bit on the Framptom track because WMGGW is so well known and in constant rotation, but his rendition is soooo goooood!  Your right, one of the best covers Ive heard.

Thanks!

1. I Ain't Gonna Eat Your Out My Heart Anymore -  The song worked in the 60's. It had a little spoken word, blended with the vocals, which gave it a beatnik feel. That doesn't translate well, when covered by a glam rock band! The song to me seems, like a 60's era song. I'm very surprised at how many times it's been covered! Never listened to Angel, but I really like the music Gregg Guiffria made after he left the band! It's still part of my regular rotation on my ipod.

2. Love Hurt's - I'm a Triumph fan & they've made some great music, but to try & tackle this song? Fail, there's no way you are going to erase the imprint of Dan McCafferty's Awesome vocals!!!

3.Potrait II - Great Cover!!! Excellent vocals!!! I like Kansas & when you listen to their version of this song, it's classic Kansas, but the Kerry Livgren version has a great sound & a great message!

4. Fox On The Run - I've heard this song before & Ace nails it & makes it his own!!! Love the guitar!!!

5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Great song!!! The original itself is very good, but Frampton does a respectable job on the cover. The highlight here is the guitar playing, Frampton's always Amazing!!!

Enjoyed, The Listen Scott!

Thanks Mike!  Youve been busy listening to SHT (hahahaha) - Love all the feedback Ive read from you.  I truly expected the first track to get warm responses, and Triumph to not be liked (on this site only you and I like them I swear!) and as for Portrait II, I really thought it would get deadpanned!  Much to my surprise it went over really nice!  Thats always a pleasant surprise!

Thanks again!

Well, I'll be a good little soldier too and rank these!

1. Peter Frampton

Seriously, did anyone think he could play the geetar this good???? SERIOUSLY! Good album too, everytime I listen to it I'm hesitant to have to listen to this song again, but it always blows me away.

2. Ace Frehley

Yep. I think this was posted here some time ago. Damn fine cover, if you ask me. (YES, I KNOW THE CONNECTION TO...umm...crap...KISS)

3. Kerry Livgren

Not as good as the original, but pretty good. You can tell that the production is kinda weak, but still a good listen.

4. Angel

Helluva band? Not really a helluva cover. Sorry, not into eating hearts.

5. Triumph

This was just horribly, horribly bad. I have this on a Triumph compiliation and was blown away by it's suckiness. Did they re-record this and make it even more suckier? Is that possible? I used to like Triumph, but not so much anymore. Except for the song "Allied Forces" since that smokes.

Nice job Scott!

1/5

You secretly love Triumph - Admit it!

I might have been kind of a fan at some point, I had every album from "Allied Forces" on but don't anymore. I do have a CD when they went with a different singer or something, could look it up for the title, but why bother.

I do have "Allied Forces" and "Thunder Seven" (which is the first Triumph album I ever bought because I liked the cover) on CD and that Comp and that's it.

Whoa, Scott, I really dig Triumph! Have a bunch of their stuff, and saw them live many times. I even went to a guitar clinic that Rik Emmett had in Atlanta, AFTER he left the band. He sang and played guitar to some backing tracks, and did some Triumph tunes and some solo stuff. It was pretty cool.

But I liked this list, thought every song was done pretty well. The Triumph is the weakest to me, but still not bad.

As usual Gordon you provide the most accurate response to the playlist!  Thank you sir!  Check out tihs weeks?  Its got a Latin flare to it and one real deep track I think most long-time classic rock fans will really like!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos