Classic Rock Bottom

CODAS

May has been a busy month for me and SHT had to take a two week sabbatical.  But were back now and RJ had an idea a while back about cool Outro's, the obvious choices came up in the conversation; Freebird, Stairway, Hotel California, Comfortably Numb etc...  Those songs are famous because of the way they play out, but there are loads of tunes that contain really great outro's.  Here's 5 I put together, 3 most everyone should know and 2 really cool ones you need to get to know.

And by way of education I stumbled onto this piece of information that is worth passing along.

Coda (Italian for "tail", plural code) is a term used in music in a number of different senses, primarily to designate a passage that brings a piece (or a movement) to an end. Technically, it is an expanded cadence. It may be as simple as a few measures, or as complex as an entire section.

Enjoy!

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Baba O'Riley
ARTIST: The Who
ALBUM: Who’s Next
YEAR: 1971
LENGTH: 5:08
DID YOU KNOW: The album opened with "Baba O'Riley," featuring piano by Townshend and a violin solo by Dave Arbus. Townshend used the early synthesizers and modified keyboard sounds in several modes: as a drone effect on several songs, most notably "Baba O'Riley".  The violin solo was drummer Keith Moon's idea. The song's title pays homage to Townshend's guru Meher Baba and influential minimalist composer Terry Riley (and is informally known by the line "Teenage Wasteland").

TITLE: Aja
ARTIST: Steely Dan
ALBUM: Aja
YEAR: 1977
LENGTH: 8:00
DID YOU KNOW: This album cemented the duo's reputation as songwriters, as well as their reputation for studio perfectionism. The story of the making of the album has been documented in an episode of the popular TV and DVD series, Classic Albums. The album features such jazz and fusion luminaries as guitarists Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour; bassist Chuck Rainey; saxophonists Wayne Shorter, Pete Christlieb, and Tom Scott; drummer Steve Gadd; and ex-Miles Davis pianist/vibist Victor Feldman.  Steve Gadd is the showcased drummer on this track!  Gadd demonstrated the strengths in his work on the title track – highlighted by Gadd's drum punctuation in the coda of the title cut.

TITLE: Spaceship Superstar
ARTIST: Prism
ALBUM: Prism
LENGTH: 4:06
NOTE:  This song was also featured on the very first SHT list posted on this site. It gets a well deserved encore!
DID YOU KNOW: "Spaceship Superstar" became the band's signature song and a staple of Canadian rock radio. Record producer Bruce Fairbairn and songwriter Jim Vallance both went on to achieve huge international success.  NASA began a tradition of playing music to astronauts during the Gemini program, and first used music to wake up a flight crew during Apollo 15. Each track is specially chosen, often by the astronauts' families, and usually has a special meaning to an individual member of the crew, or is applicable to their daily activities.  Spaceship Superstar was on the playlist for Day 11 of this final mission.

TITLE: Your Light
ARTIST: Scorpions
ALBUM: Taken By Force
LENGTH: 4:31
DID YOU KNOW: This was the first Scorpions album to feature drummer Herman Rarebell and the final album to feature guitarist Uli Jon Roth. Roth left the band in 1978 following the end of the album's tour, and was eventually replaced by Matthias Jabs.  Roth was not happy with the commercial direction the band was taking. Although he performed on the band's Japan tour, he departed to form his own band, Electric Sun prior to the release of the resultant double live album Tokyo Tapes. Roth is the only credited writer of this tune.

TITLE: Let There Be Rock
ARTIST: ACDC
ALBUM: Let There Be Rock
YEAR:
LENGTH: 6:06
DID YOU KNOW: Being one of AC/DC's most popular songs, "Let There Be Rock" has been included on three of the band's five official live albums: If You Want Blood You've Got It (sung by Bon Scott, 1978), Live: 2 CD Collector's Edition (sung by Scott's replacement Brian Johnson, 1992), Let There Be Rock: The Movie (Scott, 1979), released in 1997 as part of the Bonfire box set, and Stiff Upper Lip Tour Edition (Johnson, 2001) with the last recorded from Plaza De Toros in Madrid from 1996.  Live performances of the song often go into a section not included on the studio version, with Angus Young performing an extend solo without accompaniment. It is best known for a section in which he plays varying arpeggios starting on B major and ending on E major.  It is the final song played in Let There Be Rock: The Movie and at the immediate conclusion the words, "To Bon," appear on the screen.

And as such that song is indeed the perfect Coda for this list of Coda's!

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice job Scott.  It would have definitely been easy to go with Hotel California, Free Bird and/or Stairway.  But you didn't wuss-out (not that those songs aren't great, 'cause they are).  A couple more I like would be Black Diamond by Kiss and Highway Song by Blackfoot.

I do have a question.  Is it considered a Coda if there are vocals involved?  I'm asking because I'm thinking of GNR's Sweet Child 'O Mine. 

I'd rank these songs as follows:

5. Scorpions - This is the only song on the playlist that I don't like.

4. Prism - This sounds familiar.

3. Steely Dan - This band is an aquired taste if you ask me.

2. AC/DC - Outstanding

1. The Who - Even more outstanding.  Not only is it a great coda, it's quite different than anything else.

Your guess is as good as mine on the vocal Codas, makes sense that it could be...

Say what??? RJHog does not like this Scoprions tune? I'm shocked and surprised. The guitar work is outstanding. In fact Uli Jon Roth is like a mixture of Hendrix and Frank Marino. Highly underrated. And a killer song. I love all the different tones he gets/uses during this song. The lead work is fantastic.

Never could get into Steely Dan that much, although "Reeling In The Years", if that is the correct name, is an alltime classic song. Definitely in the top 100 songs of all time, maybe even top 50. But this song does not do it for me.

The Prism is a pretty good song. Enjoyed it.

"Baba O'Reilly" is definitely in the top 50, maybe even top 25 songs of all time!

And lastly, Let There Be Rock is ok, but is not even close to being one of the better AC-DC songs. In fact, I honestly think there are at least 3 or 4 songs from Let There Be Rock that are better than the title track.

But nice list, Scott. Enjoyed 4 out of 5 selections!

I was also shocked on the Scorpions tune.  Thought that was perfect for RJ.  Oh well...

I'm a Steely Dan fan, love what you hear in their production, so clear you can hear the pick hit the strings....

Thanks Gordon!

This was good except for that one song from that one band. If you had substituted something like Molly Hatchet's "Fall Of The Peacemakers" for that one song, then it would have been a great list. 

But no...you have to sneak that band in occasionally and I didn't like them then, don't like them now and won't ever like them. Please stop!!!!!!

Wonder if Rjhog likes early Scorpions? Maybe that's why he doesn't like that song....

4/5

I just got caught up on all the remastered material from that one band!  May dedicate July to them!  Just for you...

They actually remastered them? Not the ones you found for 4.99 or so. I like them. It's that OTHER band. 

I thought you were referring to that band named after a unmentionable object versus that other band named after some weird light bending device...  I get it now...

Dang!  There goes my plans for July!

Well, if you must. I mean, you probably have it all planned out and everything and far be it for me to tell you what or what not to post, it's your list and all that so I'm just making a suggestion but......

whatever!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos