Classic Rock Bottom

SCOTTS HIDDEN TREASURES 2012 #4 - When The Feeling Is Right

Michael Schenker started playing guitar at an early age, after his brother Rudolf brought home a Gibson Flying V guitar, which captured his imagination. He played his first gig when he was 11. Schenker debuted with the Scorpions on their debut album Lonesome Crow at age 17.  The Scorpions went on tour after recording their first album, opening up for upcoming UK band UFO in Germany. Schenker was offered the position of lead guitar player and, with the blessing of his brother, accepted.

His career with UFO was turbulent, sometimes walking off mid-song causing shows to be canceled. Despite having a series of successful albums and tours, Schenker finally left UFO soon after the last show of their US tour in Palo Alto, California, in October 1978.

Schenker briefly re-joined the Scorpions in late 1978, when they were recording the album Lovedrive (he plays lead guitar on three songs, "Another Piece Of Meat", "Coast To Coast" and "Lovedrive").

Schenker auditioned for Aerosmith in 1979 after Joe Perry left; according to Martin Huxley, Schenker stormed out of the room after some Nazi-jokes were made. After the death of Randy Rhoads, Ozzy Osbourne called Schenker about replacing Rhoads, but, Ozzy claims, Schenker made too many outlandish demands (including a private jet). Schenker himself, in an interview with KNAC radio, claims he was the one to say "no" to Ozzy: "If I would have joined Ozzy Osbourne, I would have screwed up my life. I was almost about to do it, and something told me: DON'T!!"

In 1979, Schenker entered upon a solo career by founding the Michael Schenker Group (MSG). The history of MSG is strewn with personality conflicts and incidents. In 1982, original singer Gary Barden was fired in favor of Graham Bonnet. Bonnet lasted one album (Assault Attack) and was fired from the band because he often lost his voice during shows. Barden was called in at the last minute and did the show with only a few hours rehearsal. He stayed with MSG for the recording of a new studio album (Built to Destroy).   After Barden's second departure, Schenker reorganized the band around himself and new singer Robin McAuley and renamed it the McAuley Schenker Group. The new incarnation of MSG was steered toward a more commercial hard rock sound. After three albums, Schenker and McAuley parted company.

DISCOGRAPHY...

With the Scorpions

• Lonesome Crow (1972)
  • Fly to the Rainbow (1974) (co-writer)
  • Lovedrive (1979)

with UFO

• Phenomenon (1974)
  • Force It (1975)
  • No Heavy Petting (1976)
  • Lights Out (1977)
  • Obsession (1978)
  • Strangers in the Night (1979, Live)
  • Walk on Water (1995)
  • Covenant (2000)
  • Sharks (2002)

with the Michael Schenker Group

• The Michael Schenker Group (1980)
  • MSG (1981)
  • One Night at Budokan (1981, live)
  • Assault Attack (1982)
  • Built to Destroy (1983)
  • Rock Will Never Die (1984, live)
  • Written in the Sand (1996)
  • The Michael Schenker Story Live (1997, live)
  • The Unforgiven (1999)
  • The Unforgiven World Tour (1999, live)
  • Be Aware of Scorpions (2001)
  • Arachnophobiac (2003)
  • Heavy Hitters (2005)
  • Tales of Rock'n'Roll (2006)
  • In the Midst of Beauty (2008)
  • The 30th Anniversary Concert – Live in Tokyo (2010, live)

Solo

• Thank You (1993)
  • Thank You 2 (1998)
  • Thank You with Orchestra (1999)
  • Adventures of the Imagination (2000)
  • The Odd Trio (2000)
  • Thank You 3 (2001)
  • Dreams and Expressions (2001)
  • Thank You 4 (2003)
  • Temple of Rock (2011)

Schenker's main guitar for much of his career was a Gibson Flying V, which he typically played through a wah-wah pedal (used as a parametric equalizer to strengthen the "sweet spot") and Marshall amplifiers. His "unmistakable midrange tone"[1] emphasized by the partially engaged wah, as exemplified on the song "Rock Bottom" from the UFO album Strangers in the Night, was listed among the 50 greatest tones of all time by Guitar Player magazine. In recent years Schenker has switched to using a signature model Dean V.   In 2007 Dean Guitars, after producing a signature Schenker Dean V, also made two acoustic models with the familiar black and white "V" design

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: I'm A Loser

ALBUM: No Heavy Petting

YEAR: 1976

LENGTH: 3:54

TITLE: Pack It Up (And Go)

ALBUM: Obsession

YEAR: 1978

LENGTH: 3:14

TITLE: Feels Like A Good Thing

ALBUM: Michael Schenker Group

YEAR: 1980

LENGTH: 3:49

TITLE: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

ALBUM: MSG II

YEAR: 1981

LENGTH: 5:27

TITLE: Rock You To The Ground

ALBUM: Assault Attack

YEAR: 1982

LENGTH: 5:48

In 1995, Schenker briefly rejoined UFO for their reunion album Walk on Water and toured with them briefly. Schenker then resurrected the Michael Schenker Group with all new members and recorded three more albums, Written in the Sand, The Unforgiven, and Be Aware of Scorpions. He later rejoined UFO for two further releases, Covenant and Sharks.

After nearly-disastrous North American and European tours in 2007, which saw canceled shows and less-than-stellar performances caused by heavy drinking, Schenker regained his composure and hit the road in the UK as Michael Schenker & Friends in 2008. Early 2008, Schenker worked with Gary Barden, Don Airey, Simon Phillips, and Neil Murray on a new MSG album In the Midst of Beauty, which was released in May 2008, followed by touring.   In 2009 Schenker toured extensively including Russia, UK and the US with MSG including original members Gary Barden and Chris Glenn. With Schenker now clean shaven and having lost weight many fans commented that he both looked and sounded his best, with the tour receiving rave reviews from loyal fans.   In November 2010, Michael Schenker was honored with the Marshall “11” award in London along other rock legends including Ron Wood and Slash. The award was presented to Schenker by Alice Cooper, with Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and John Paul Jones also in attendance. The award is given to "those artists and musicians who represent rock 'n' roll excess and livin' on the edge."

Lastly, for anyone wondering why I mixed UFO and MSG, there was a recent episode of That Metal Show where Herman Rarebell was the guest, he hinted that himself, Pete Way, Rudolf Schenker and Michael Schenker were preparing something that we would hear soon.  That news was exciting to hear, and so I hope we do hear something from them and soon!  This is hopefully a primer!

And now you know...  The Rest of the Story!

Views: 448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was really looking forward to this.  I know zilch about UFO and MSG. 

First track was fantastic.  Loved the vocals and everything about it.

Then it went straight down hill.  The only thing I liked after that was the guitar solo on track 4. 

That being said, look for an album by UFO at some time this year in AOTW.

"straight down hill"? you kidding?

Nope.  Great guitar playing, that's all for me.

hmmm...  different strokes I guess!

Right you are...

I shouldve subtitled it, When the Feeling is Right for everyone but RJ ...  hahahaha

I guess I wont post the KISS edition I have ready to go just to spite a bad review... 

I kid...  or do I?

good question...  and better catch!

Because they're McAuley-Schenker

And hey, don't forget Schenker - Pattison..."The Endless Jam"...and "The Endless Jam Continues" or part two, whatever it's called.

I've gotten a little tired of rockers "re-doing" songs they liked when they were young, and releasing albums, but these two Schenker - Pattison projects are pretty good listens.

Kind of reminds me of The Neverending Story...it ended, so the title was a lie! Is there still going to be more endless jams or is it over? Am I dealing with yet another lie?

Damn...look at that hair!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos