Classic Rock Bottom

SCOTTS HIDDEN TREASURES 2012 #7 - Standing At The Crossroads

The month of Love continues...

And its valentines week so the easy thing to do is put up a bunch of sappy ballads, well ... been there done that!  What about Love when you’re unsure, what about love when things aren't looking so good, questions abound, and the outlook is bleak?  I wouldn’t know of course, but I imagine songs like this weeks would be exactly the advice I would seek out.

The cycle, I imagine, works like this...  Girl questions the relationship, confused about love the Guy wonders if she even knows what that is?  Guys’ heart breaks and he bleeds his emotions all over his friends who of course are annoyed by his wimpishness.  Guy starts to make excuses and tells all who are still willing to listen that next time will be different.  Guy comes out of the experience more knowledgeable and has several ways to make sure his best defense in a relationship is offense! 

Well...  it could go like that...

PLAYLIST VITALS...

TITLE: Don't You Know What Love Is

BAND: Touch

ALBUM: Touch I

YEAR: 1980

LENGTH: 3:58

DID YOU KNOW: "Don't You Know What Love Is" reached #69 on the Billboard Hot 100. However, the song was played heavily on AOR radio stations in the USA at the end of the 1970s, and reached the #1 spot on the Melody Maker chart in Great Britain.  Touch were the first band to play at the inaugural Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donington racetrack in 1980. A live version of "Don't You Know What Love Is" appeared on the compilation LP Monsters of Rock, documenting performances at the festival.  Mark Mangold has continued to write and record with and for other artists. The song "I Found Someone", a collaboration with Michael Bolton, was recorded by Laura Branigan and ultimately became a top 10 hit for Cher.  Doug Howard has also continued to perform, record and write with acts and artists such as Todd Rundgren, Edgar Winter, Stun Leer, and Roy Buchanan as well as a member of Rundgren's Utopia (Howard is co-writer of the Utopia hit "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" and managing partner of Lodestar Entertainment)

TITLE: Romeo Is Bleeding

BAND: Hall and Oates

ALBUM: Marigold Sky

YEAR: 1997

LENGTH: 5:04

DID YOU KNOW: In total, the act had 34 singles chart hits on the US Billboard Hot 100. Hall and Oates have seven RIAA platinum albums, along with six RIAA gold albums. A greatest hits compilation was released in 2001 by RCA/BMG. The BMG collection was expanded in 2004 and reissued the following year, after BMG merged with Sony Music Entertainment. In 2003, Hall and Oates were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Billboard Magazine had Hall & Oates at #15 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time and the #1 duo. VH1 placed the duo as #99 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

TITLE: We Just Disagree

BAND: Dave Mason

ALBUM: Let It Flow

YEAR: 1977

LENGTH: 3:00

DID YOU KNOW: Mason was a friend of legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix, whose career was launched in England in 1966. Hendrix first heard the song "All Along the Watchtower", by Bob Dylan, at a party to which he was invited by Mason, and promptly decided to record his own version. That night he recorded the song at Olympic Studios, South West London, with Mason playing acoustic guitar. It was released on the Electric Ladyland album in September 1968.  In addition, Mason appears on the Rolling Stones' 1968 album Beggars Banquet, although uncredited.  In 1969–1970, Mason toured with Delaney and Bonnie and Friends along with Eric Clapton and George Harrison. Mason appears on George Harrison's 1970 solo set All Things Must Pass. In 1970, Dave was slated to be the second guitarist for Derek and the Dominos, but left the group before they entered the studio.

TITLE: Get It Right Next Time

BAND: Gerry Rafferty

ALBUM: Night Owl

YEAR: 1979

LENGTH: 4:44

DID YOU KNOW: Generally an autobiographical writer, Rafferty returned to this theme of anti-fame often, in the lyrics of Stealers Wheel songs such as "Star", "Stuck in the Middle With You", and "Good Businessman", and later solo tracks like "Take the Money and Run" (from Night Owl), "Welcome to Hollywood" (from Snakes and Ladders), and "Sleepwalking" (from the album of the same name).

TITLE: 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover

BAND: Paul Simon

ALBUM: Negotiations and Love Songs

YEAR: 1975  (Song released on album titled "Still Crazy After All These Years")

LENGTH: 3:32

DID YOU KNOW: Written after Simon's divorce from first wife Peggy Harper, the song is a mistress's humorous advice to a husband on ways to end a relationship: Just slip out the back, Jack/Make a new plan, Stan.  "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" broke in the U.S. in late December 1975 becoming number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 on February 7, 1976, and remaining there for three weeks. It was certified gold on March 11, 1976, and remained a best seller for nearly five months. The song also topped the adult contemporary chart for two weeks. It remains Simon's biggest solo hit.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours!

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Girl questions the relationship, confused about love the Guy wonders if she even knows what that is?"

And you didn't post that Foreigner song?

I hate to admit it, but my thoughts exactly...

to obvious....

Touch -  Very nice track.  I can’t recall you featuring this band previously, and I don’t recall hearing of them otherwise.  The only weakness in this track is the multiple vocals towards the end.  But I really like this.

Hall And Oates – Great band.  I remember you featured another song from this album, the title track, and I actually picked up the CD because of it.  I haven’t listened all the way through it, but this is another really good track from it.  Love the guitar solo.

Dave Mason -  Awesome song.  I’ve always loved this one.  Definitely not hidden, but I love hearing it in any playlist.

Gerry Rafferty – This song fits perfectly.  I dig Gerry Rafferty, but this song is just okay to me. 

Paul Simon -  I absolutely loved this song as a kid.  Again, not really hidden, but cool song.  My favorite rhyme is “you don’t need to be coy Roy”.   And the drumming is fantastic.

Overall, this is a cool playlist.  Right now it’s in the running for my Top 5 SHT’s of 2012.

Thank you sir!  Always a pleasure to hear from you....

Ive actually showcased Touch one time before, a song titled "When the Spirit Moves You" - I belive you gave it favorable response. (http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/scotts-hidden-trea...).  I recently found the disc remastered and expanded out on Rock Candy records (which has some pretty cool releases by the way).  Since that playlist wont play maybe it can make a return appearance some time.

Nice listen here, made me cry, the only song that was just ok was Touch. The beginning of the song reminded me of another song, but damn if I can figure out which one.

The We Just Disagree song...I remember hearing this and singing it over and over to a girlfriend and then shortly after we broke up. No sense of humor from her!

I also thought the opening chords of the Touch song reminded me of another song...and I do believe it reminds me (even if oh so slightly) of the opening chords to "Christine Sixteen". But we won't talk about who that is, so Jon does not start feeling "hurlish"...and yes, pretty nice lead in this opening track.

Always liked the Dave Mason tune. I think I probably hated the Paul Simon tune, in my younger, militant days...but I must admit...even way back then...very hard not to sing along with this tune!

And I do believe I've heard this Gerry Rafferty before, and I like it.

Kiss?????????

oh man, let the gagging commence.

The Touch album is very interesting as its has a progressive melodic feel to it.  And the fact that they opened the very first Monsters of Rock concert in Donnington has to be an answer to a trivia question on par with "what was the first ever video MTV played?"...  All said, it has certain moments that are really very strong and promising.  The "KISS" connection you heard was the only KISS connection to be found on the CD and one Ive never made until now.  But alas the band didnt make it and about the only place you'll ever hear them is here (that I know of anyway)!

Thanks for the feedback, but mostly thanks for making Jon hurl! 

Crying and hurling!  Mission Accomplished!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos