Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Skid Row

Released: January 24, 1989

Producer: Michael Wagener

Singles: Youth Gone Wild/18 And Life/I Remember You

Song Of The Week: Sweet Little Sister

Album Cover: 8/10

Facts (from Wikipedia) 

1. Skid Row's debut was released in 1989 and reached number 6 on the Billboard chart.

2. It is certified 5 X Platinum.

3. Of the three singles, two were Top 40 hits (18 And Life #4 and I Remember You #6).  The third single cracked the Top 100 (Youth Gone Wild #99).

4. 18 And Life is a Gold certified single.

5. Videos were made for the three singles and for the song Piece Of Me.

Observations (from RJhog)

1. This album kicks ass.

2. It's heavy, but I don't consider it heavy metal.  There's way too much melody for that.  Besides, the follow-up is even heavier.

3. I Remember You was overplayed, but I still consider it not only one of the best Hair ballads to come out of the 80's, but also one of the greatest ballads ever.  Bach's vocal is killer.

4. Skid Row should get back together with Bach and release a new album.

1. Big Guns

2. Sweet Little Sister

3. Can't Stand The Heartache

4. Piece Of Me

5. 18 And Life

6. Rattlesnake Shake

7. Youth Gone Wild

8. Here I Am

9. Makin' A Mess

10. I Remember You

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heavy Metal?  Nope.

I remember hearing this for the first time in a buddies car.  Youth Gone Wild came on and he cranked it up and I was hooked!  Alas, they fell victim to bad timing, and I was moving on musically from the hair scene, so I never really got around to purchasing this.  Had they arrived on the scene a few years earlier we may be talking about Skid Row differently and my collection may have been littered with some Skid Row...

That said, I really love that opening track!  Its the star of this listening session.  Nice pace, nice riffage and nice vocals and the hit songs really hold up as well.  Nice post!

I don't think Skid Row is hair metal.  Maybe some elements on this album (I belive they were forced to do so), but none of those elements on "Slave To The Grind" or "Subhuman Race". 

I loved this album when it came out. Pretty much enjoyed every song on the release.

But you will never see Bach with Skid Row again, too much bad blood.

This is ok to me. I haven't heard this for years and probably about half of the album does nothing for me. But there are some good rockin' tracks here: 1, 2, 4, 8 & 9 are damn good and I even like "18 And Life" though it was overplayed to death. I'll stick with the two I got, if I ever get a hankering to listen to this again, why I know where to go! 

Savage Animal!

Its hair metal isn't it?  Admit it...  c'mon!

The album as a whole? Or the whole album?

Yes...  that's exactly what I meant

I totally agree.

This is a good one for me! But, I don't think it's quite heavy metal. But, I also don't think they were a "hair band". So, maybe "hair metal" is a good tag to apply? I'll just call it hard rock, and be done with it!

I also have the other two releases Jon mentioned, with "Slave To The Grind" being the better of the two, in my opinion.

I have not heard any of the post-Bach stuff. Anyone have any remarks to make about the post-Bach music?

I will say that I think "Kicking And Screaming", from Sebastian Bach, released last year, is an excellent slab of hard rock. Great vocal work, and heavy guitar played really well.

But back (Bach??) to this release...it's still a great listen, and every track is good to me.

Did I mention that I don't like Bach's vocals on Kicking And Screaming?

I don't recall you saying that, but I could have missed it. I have to disagree with you. I think the vocals are still good. Not as good as his early years, but still good. The age factor really affects the vocalist, as we have seen with many singers.

They sort of sound Auto-tuned to me.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos