Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #154 BILLY SQUIER - DON'T SAY NO (1981)

Artist: Billy Squier

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: USA

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Don't Say No

Released: April 13, 1981

Producer: Mack and Billy Squier

Best Single: In The Dark

Best Album Cut: You Know What I Like

Additional Hidden Gems: Too Daze Gone/Whadda You Want From Me/Nobody Knows/I Need You

Filler: The Stroke

Lyric Of The Week: "Life isn't easy from the singular side, down in the hole some emotions are hard to hide" - In The Dark

How 'bout some Billy Squier this week.  Don't Say No is his 1981 release.  Truth be told, I wasn't much of a Billy Squier fan in the 80's.  I have more of an appreciation for him now.  We all know that a little video totally tanked his career, but that's neither here nor there.  This album totally rocks.  If you haven't heard it, check it out here by clicking the link above.  And if you have heard it, share your feelings regarding it.  Everybody wants to know how you feel.  I promise.

As always, below are some facts and observations concerning the album.  The facts are from Wikipedia and the observations are from yours truly.  

• This is a vinyl rip.  Because of that, tracks 2 and 3 ran together during the transfer to mp3 and appear as one track, although they are separate on the actual album or CD.
  • Don't Say No is Squier's second studio album.
  • It reached number 5 in the U.S. and was also certified Triple Platinum in the U.S., remaining on the charts for 111 weeks and producing 2 Top 40 hits (The Stroke/In The Dark).
  • I despise the song The Stroke.  I just can't listen to it.  Ever again.
  • But that's really the only bad song on the album.  Nobody Knows is sung for the most part in falsetto, and I totally dig it.  Call me wimpy if you want, I don't care.  
  • In The Dark is my all-time favorite Billy Squire song.
  • I Need You is also a cool song.  It reminds me of Cheap Trick, and I definitely would love to hear them cover it.

Tracklist:

1. In The Dark

2. The Stroke

3. My Kinda Lover

4. You Know What I Like

5. Too Daze Gone

6. Lonely Is The Night

7. Whadda You Want From Me

8. Nobody Knows

9. I Need You

10. Don't Say No

Views: 178

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never had a problem with "The Stroke".

I think it was the follow up album that really hit for me, the one that got a video played all the time on MTV.

I was friends with the nephew of Squier's longtime drummer Bobby Chouinard growing up.

Actually the next album was "Emotions in Motion" and that album was huge and arguably slightly better than "Don't Say No"!  It was actually the album that followed Emotions that contained the song "Rock Me Tonight" for which the aforementioned video contained the ill fated pink tank-top dancing Squire.

Pre-screening apologies, it was a moral imperative that I post this given the subject matter...

I personally think Don't Say No is better than Emotions In Motion.  It also has sold more and had more Top 40 hits.  Not that that makes it better, but I have both on vinyl and I just think DSN is better.  Like I said, personal opinion.

Your likely in the majority, but for me and the friends I hung around we played Emotions In Motion constantly, so it has that sentimental aspect to it that brings back some memories of good times, good people, and great friends.  I just wish it would get a Remaster treatment or Deluxe Edition treatment.

I do have the remastered edition of Don't Say No, it sounds great, has no filler IMO (The Stroke doesn't bother me) and it has similar memories for me, they are two back to back great releases.  I even like Signs of Life (The ill fated container of Rock Me Tonite), so for me Squire pulled off a nice trifecta before disappearing.  And he even had some nice releases that went unnoticed.  I bet Jon could fill us in on some of his Lost albums.

This post is awesome though.  Great breakthrough album for him.  It was unique in sound, production, and the tunes were raw and hard hitting.  Lonely Is the Night and My Kinda Lover are great radio staples but my favorite deep cut is I Need You.  Great bass line and laid back feel!  Fun album and great post!

I don't know if you've ever heard Cheap Trick's song Mandocello, but I Need You really, really reminds me of that song.  Here's a fake youtube video for it, tell me what you think.

I just recently picked up Cheap Tricks first 4 albums (remastered of course) so I've heard this but didn't connect it to I Need You until now, similar bass line and beat, I can see the connection.  Cool stuff...

There is a remaster of "Emotion IN Motion" and I gots it.

I tell you what, "Creatures Of Habit" is a killer album as well as "Tell The Truth". By then though, he was out of the spotlight. Blame it on that video!

Thanks for the correct information. Yes it was "Rock Me Tonight" that I was referring to.

Did you know....this starts on track #9?

I did not, but I think it's fixed now.  Thanks homey.

Seriously, how much do you really hate "The Stroke"? Are you trying to prove that you absolutely loathe that song by completely bypassing it (and "My Kinda Lover"? That's just harsh!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos