Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

I don't believe that Dave Mason has been featured on the site before, so I've picked Let It Flow as your very own Album of the Week.  I didn't check Jon's listening list before I posted, so I certainly hope that he has not listened to this lately.  If you are unfamiliar with Dave Mason, he was a founding member of the rock band Traffic.  He went solo in 1970 and Let It Flow is his seventh solo release.  Let's spout a few nuggets:

• Let It Flow was Mason's highest charting solo album, topping out at number 37.
  • It contained his biggest hit as well, We Just Disagree, which just missed the Top 10 at number 12.
  • We Just Disagree was written by Jim Krueger, not by Mason.
  • Krueger did sing the harmony above Mason's vocal.
  • The b-side to We Just Disagree was Mystic Traveler, one of the three songs on the album that I like.
  • The song did crack the Top 10 in 1993 on the country charts when it was covered by Billy Dean.
  • The other two singles released from the album were Let It Flow (#45) and So High (#89).
  • I guess all of this would mean that Mason, as a solo artist, was a one-hit-wonder.

There you have it.  The album is available on Amazon for a cool four dollars and ninety-nine cents.  Oh yeah, the other song I really like is Takin' The Time To Find, which features some very nice guitar playing.

Side One:

1. So High (Rock Me Baby and Roll Me Away)

2. We Just Disagree

3. Mystic Traveler

4. Spend Your Life With Me

5. Takin' The Time To Find

Side Two:

6. Let It Go, Let It Flow

7. Then It's Alright

8. Seasons

9. You Just Have To Wait Now

10. What Do We Got Here?

Views: 197

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a feeling, that I've heard about this dude before, but I'm not sure.

I know of Traffic, of course, but not because of Mason.

First song tells me, that it probably will be a pleassant listening-experience, but a whole album can be too much for me?

This sounds like music, that was played a lot on the radio back in the 70's, and I certainly prefer this kind of music, to the "music" that is played now on the radio....or the last 20 years or so.

Second song don't ring a bell? Was this supposed to be the hit? Again, it's a nice little tune, and it reminds me of the 70's, which is my favorite decade. I can almost "picture" me, Peter Criss singing this song on one of his solo-album from around the same time.

Third song is another nice tune, but I'm starting to be a bit bored now. Actually, this might be my favorite-song so far, even if I'm half asleep by now.

I had hoped for a speed up on the next song, but it's actually the slowest so far. This is too boring for me. Sounds to me like some worshipping-music. And I'm no fan of saxophones at all.

A funky start to the last song on side 1. Hmmm, this sounds like a tune, Eric Clapton could had made, also around that time. Nothing special, though.

Side 2 opens with a bit of rock'n'roll?! I have a feeling, that I've heard this song before?! This is not bad, but not great either.

The rest of the songs are more or less like the album as a whole: A nice listening, but I would guess, you have tons of albums, released in the US, sounding like this?!

It's okay radio-music, but if I never hear it again, I'm allright with that. If I hear it, that's okay as well. It has a nice 70's-vibe, that I like.

Nope, don't have this but I have the Dave Mason ULTIMATE COLLECTION!!!!! So you're lucky. This time. 

This was actually quite enjoyable. I've checked this out a few times, but was looking for a remastered version, so this was out. But the songs on the ULTIMATE COLLECTION are remastered so I have a few of these.

It's definitely just me when I see "Let It Go, Let It Flow" I expect "Let It Grow" from Eric Clapton since both songs mention "flow". Then, when the Dave Mason song plays, I think that something is really wrong and I have to remember that there's two different "flow" songs. Yep, this happened today while I was enjoying this.

As for "We Just Disagree", I used to say, not sing, the words to someone everytime I saw them and it eventually drove them insane. 

The beginning of "Mystic Traveler" reminds me of the beginning of Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here". Actually, the whole song actually does.

All in all, this was a really nice listen. I think I'm in a mellow mood because I really enjoyed this.

If memory serves me correctly (and it usually does) this album featured/debut'd a song on CRB somewhere around February 13, 2012 at 3:19pm ... 

http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/scotts-hidden-trea...

Yeah, but it debuted on the radio about 35 years before that so what's your point?

Boss's opening line...

I don't believe that Dave Mason has been featured on the site before...

Image result for mic drop gif

Well, he gets his info from Wikipedia so what did you expect?

Yeah...well...I forgot.  And, in my defense, Wikipedia didn't list his appearance on CRB in 2012.

If only you had a memory like mine...

Well, it's not like Scott has ever posted an album in AOTW that was posted before. 

Oh, wait......

you see what happened there was I was trying to introduce the real AOTW in a new and unique way, I tried something new and it worked... most successful AOTW ever, just check the charts and graphs!

Great artist!  Historic artist!  Played with Jimi Hendrix, you cant get anymore relevant to rock and roll than that.  Plus the dude can play some serious guitar, I mean Geetar!  Seen him open for the Doobies and Journey a couple months back, best blues strat I heard that night!  Also seen him as a member of Fleetwood Mac on the ill fated Time tour, even then he stood out.

We Just Disgaree, c'mon man!!!  Stellar song writing, he knows when dial it in and when to let loose. Interesting that Seasons came on after adding Lady Starlight to my 12 Strings SHT playlist that I just posted, love that acoustic! 

I need this album, but I'd like to hold out for a nice remastered edition, but this listen moves it up the wish list pretty high!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos