Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 60 MR. MISTER - WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD (1985)

Artist: Mr. Mister

Album: Welcome To The Real World

Producer: Mr. Mister & Paul De Villiers

Band Members: Richard Page/Steve George/Steve Farris/Pat Mastelotto

Singles:  Broken Wings (U.S. #1)/Kyrie (U.S. #1)/Is It Love (U.S. # 8)

Favorite Single: Broken Wings

Favorite Album Cut: Black/White

Most Likely To Skip: Into My Own Hands

Final Rating: 80% (curved down from 84% due to poor album cover)

As promised last week I'm going back to the 80's for a few weeks.  For the most part, I'll feature 80's albums that made an impact on the U.S. Top 40.  We start out with Mr. Mister.  Welcome To The Real World is the band's second album and was released in 1985.  The album found the number 1 spot on the Billboard chart and spawned 3 Top 10 hits, 2 of those being number 1 hits.  The album was certified Platinum by the RIAA.  That's not too shabby by anybody's standards.

I happen to like the album a good bit.  I don't like a lot of electronic styled music generally, but for some reason I don't mind the electronic percussion or the synthesizer/keyboard sound here.  There is a bit of guitar work, but you have to give it a pretty good listen to pick it out (the first track features a pretty good solo).  This is about as pop as pop gets so give it a try.  The album is readily available from Amazon for 12 bucks new or 4 bucks used (shipping included).

As for the cover art, it really blows.  It pulls my overall rating down a bit.

Did You Know (Stolen from Scott): According to Wikipedia, when the first Mr. Mister album, I Wear the Face, was released in 1984, Richard Page was offered the chance to replace Bobby Kimball as lead singer of Toto, and later was offered Peter Cetera's place in Chicago; he refused both offers.

Next Week: More 80's Pop? 

1. Black/White 10/10

2. Uniform Of Youth 8/10

3. Don't Slow Down 8/10

4. Run To Her 8/10

5. Into My Own Hands 7/10

6. Is It Love 9/10

7. Kyrie 8/10

8. Broken Wings 10/10

9. Tangent Tears 9/10

10. Welcome To The Real World 7/10

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You stole an idea I had for this weeks SHT list!  But you'll have to wait and see what it is when I post... 

Did you know Page also had an offer from Kansas when Walsh took off?  The guy has been sought out and give him credit for sticking with what he wants to do.  Too bad it didnt work, cause the guys a killer bass player and vocalist.

This is an album I never bought, but mostly because my brother had it and I listened to his.  For me this is good and it reminds of a transitional time in my musical tastes. 

Side 1 is so-so for me.  But I loved reconnecting with Side 2, 'Is It Love' is a great song!  Kyrie still sounds fresh and Broken Wings is pure class! 

Great post, filled with loads of memories!

By the way: Who's that girl????

My mistress....

Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Did you want the one on the left or the right?

Now, THAT'S a good one!!! Both her, and both and your joke!!!!
Sick. Mods, do your jobs!
Talking about Jennifer Love Hewitts, uh hmm, "Assets", is well within the proper etiquette of this sites moral code...   (which happens to be pretty low)
My bad. I thought this was the Harry Potter forum. Please continue!
I didn't own the album, but Kyrie and Broken Wings were two really great songs I loved to hear all the time.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos