Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 66 QUEEN - THE GAME (1980) [UK # 1 ALBUMS]

Artist: Queen

Album: The Game

Producer: Queen/Mack

Band Members: Freddy Mercury/Brian May/Roger Taylor/John Deacon

Singles: Crazy Little Thing Called Love/Save Me/Play The Game/Another One Bites The Dust/Need Your Loving Tonight

Favorite Single: Save Me

Favorite Album Cut: Dragon Attack/Sail Away Sweet Sister

Most Likely To Skip: Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Album Cover: 4/10

This week's album was released on June 30, 1980.  It's The Game by Queen, their eighth studio album.  In addition to reaching number one on the UK chart, it was Queen's only number one album in the US.  According to Wikipedia, it has sold 12 million copies worldwide (over 4 million in the US).  The single Crazy Little Thing Called Love hit number one in the US. 

I loved this album when it came out and still do.  The only song that I could do without hearing again is Crazy Little Thing Called Love, but I remember loving it when it was released.  My favorite song is Save Me.  It may have been released as a single, but I don't ever remember hearing it on the radio here.  Therefore, it's still a hidden gem to me.  It's still readily available and I think it just got re-released again. 

Did You Know: This is the first Queen album to use synthesizers.

Next Week: An old classic band that has never been featured in the AOTW section.

Side One:

1. The Game

2. Dragon Attack

3. Another One Bites The Dust

4. Need Your Loving Tonight

5. Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Side Two:

6. Rock It (Prime Jive)

7. Don't Try Suicide

8. Sail Away Sweet Sister

9. Coming Soon

10. Save Me

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never heard this. I'm psyched!

But soon...on the Queen page...there will be a track posted from the B Side of ""Play The Game" (which seems to be missing from your album) that has never seen the light of day on CD until next month ( not counting the import CD single  box set. which I have. and never opened). 

The 45 single for Another One Bites The Dust was the first music purchase I ever made on my own.

The last really good Queen-album, or the last one without any bad tracks. The title-track is one of my alltime favorites from them. You're right about the album-cover. It really stinks!!! A "black and white" still-photo from the video to "Crazy little thing called love"!!! How cheap!!!!

Never heard this entire album, ever...  At the time it came out itwas immediately overplayed, so I skipped it.  I caught back up with Queen when Hot Space came out, you know, when America began to forget about them.  I liked them better then.

The "hits" still feel overplayed to me especially "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

Side 2 is new to me, and I didnt care for the opener, "Rock It" - sounded a bit flat to me...  But it picked up ok but not enough for me to ... oh whats the word...  Like!

Best Track: The Game/Dragon Attack

Best Hidden Treasure: Save Me

Most Like to Skip: Rock It

I will say this one more time. The song is "PLAY THE GAME"!!!!!

Do not make me angry!
See ...   I associate that track name with Kansas...  This album, eh...

It was a contest to see who knew the true song title...

i won?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos