Classic Rock Bottom

Yeah, Warrant.

What can I say? It's Warrant, purveyors of crappy rock. I actually won their first album on cassette from some radio station and still have it. Sorry tosay, but the debut was a solid pile o' crap and still is.

When the followup came out, I didn't care. "Cherry Pie"? "I Saw Red"? Yeah, no thanks. However, "Uncle Tom's Cabin"? Hey, they might have something here.....nah. One decent song doesn't make a band good.

I thought Warrant was killed off after that album, even though it sold bunches. Changing musical climate, hair metal was dead, etc., etc., so imagine my surprise when I went to a CD store and saw this album. I didn't care, but the album cover seemed a bit more angrier than one with a woman holding a pie. 

I didn't care though. It was Warrant.

Funny thing (to me) is while wandering around the store I noticed this album:

Totally different band!

Anyway, it took me years to finally pick up "Dog Eat Dog" and it's not a bad album, but still...it's Warrant. It is angrier and heavier than their previous output which isn't a bad thing. Yes, I found it really dirt cheap, but folks seem to like it so it wasn't a complete waste of money, I guess. 

So here you go, the 1992 release from Warrant. I dunno, just can't treat this band with any respect!

WARNING: Foul language! Turn it down or listen with headphones! 

Dog Eat Dog

1. Machine Gun
2. The Hole In My Wall
3. April 2031
4. Andy Warhol Was Right
5. Bonfire
6. The Bitter Pill
7. Hollywood (So Far, So Good)
8. All My Bridges Are Burning
9. Quicksand
10. Let It Rain
11. Inside Out
12. Sad Theresa

Availability: Couple bucks maybe....

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Believe it or not, I'm pretty much in agreement with Jon.  Warrant was a joke, except for Uncle Tom's Cabin.  That song was cool.  I never owned a Warrant album (though I must admit that I did pick up their greatest hits disc somewhere along the line) until Rockaholic a couple of years ago.  Of course, that was minus Janie Lane.  But I liked that album, and I'd heard this was good, so I got it.

The first 4 songs are dynamite.  But the next 3 aren't good.  Then it picks back up for tracks 8 and 9.  I don't care for track 10, but the last two are good.  So this was a little better than average and a very good post by Jon.

I own No Warrant anything..  I thought The Down Boys was a cool song when it first came out but that didn't last for very long and they got boring.  Maybe it was the end of the Hair era and it was getting tired and old.  Certainly Cherry Pie was the Cherry on the...  well you get it!   Funny that something can get tired, boring and old hat, and then we all complain when it changes... (OK at least I complained)

Say.....  Didn't Van Alan post something about this some time ago?  Maybe I am not remembering right, but oh well, its familiar to me from this site somehow.

I will get to this one soon, been very busy with a new job so I missed last weeks too... (Sorry!!!)

Well, crap. I vaguely remember that post and now look what I've done.

No worries...  its a fine post!

I love the hair bands, but I agree Warrant was mediocre band. My favorite album of theirs actually may be their last release which was without the late Jani Lane. Uncle Tom's Cabin was indeed a great song. The Dog Eat Dog album was better than their first two releases and slightly heavier, but the problem is they had already established their legacy as the "Cherry Pie" band. There are a few decent tracks like "Hole in My Wall" but that is about it.

I've been picking around this all week and I'm gonna leave this one in the LOST file.  Its just not that interesting, I don't know where the bands heads were at the time but it wasn't into making great hair metal, maybe they were having issue with Jani (when weren't they?)

I think they were getting away from the hair metal and trying to be more vicious. Vicious like dogs eating dogs.

oops!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos