Classic Rock Bottom

Well, it's been awhile since we've had some so-called "yacht rock" which makes it the perfect time for the 19th album in that series that doesn't necessarily feature "yacht rock" but there's no specialized series for this so we're just going to lump it in with those other 18 albums in that series.

Note that this is Alan Parsons and NOT The Alan Parsons Project. Those who have been on this site for awhile know that, without a doubt, that APP is more "yacht rock" than AP, but AP is still "yacht rock". Right?

This album, titled The Time Machine, was released in 1999 and doesn't seem to have made much of a dent on the charts. That's understandable since 1999 sure wasn't the time for some of that "yacht rock"!!!!!

Don't know it this album went OOP quite quickly, but it is quite difficult to get a copy of this at a reasonable price.

Let's have allmusic.com close this out so I can get outta here. I have some yachting to do. 

The Time Machine by Alan Parsons actually features very little musical input from Parsons himself, who produced and engineered the album. No matter, because this concept album about the passage of time -- and the triumphs, mistakes, regrets, and memories associated with it -- is Parsons' best work of the '90s. It blends Parsons' traditional prog rock and pop/rock leanings with a bit of techno. The real stars are guitarist/saxophonist/keyboardist/bassist Ian Bairnson and drummer/keyboardist Stuart Elliott, both longtime Alan Parsons Project cohorts who individually wrote most of this album's songs. Other Parsons veterans on The Time Machine include vocalists Colin Blunstone, Chris Rainbow, and Neil Lockwood. "The Time Machine (Part 1)" is a wonderful instrumental complete with dreamy acoustic guitar lines and a steady drum-machine rhythm. Spandau Ballet vocalist Tony Hadley tastefully restrains his past histrionics for "Out of the Blue." Blunstone is featured on the hypnotic "Ignorance Is Bliss," which also contains tasteful piano and orchestral flourishes. "The Call of the Wild" has a warm, Celtic feel thanks to the vocals by Clannad's Máire Brennan and a sprinkling of Northumbrian pipes. "No Future in the Past" and "Press Rewind" are the album's most distinctive pop/rock numbers. Beverley Craven provides the vocals on the lush, bittersweet ballad "The Very Last Time." "Far Ago and Long Away" is a densely arranged instrumental with an overtly techno flavor. The Time Machine will definitely please die-hard Parsons fans.

The Time Machine

1. The Time Machine (Part 1)
2. Temporalia
3. Out Of The Blue
4. Call Up
5. Ignorance Is Bliss
6. Rubber Universe
7. The Call Of The Wild
8. No Future In The Past
9. Press Rewind
10. The Very Last Time
11. Far Ago And Long Away
12. The Time Machine (Part 2)

Availability: Many different versions out there, it can be found for around $20 used and quite a bit more $$$ new. 

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not in the Steve Martin way.

Just.....small.

takes no time at all when you tell the truth...  (that and a long afternoon "all hands" meeting, so yes, bored)

I love AP's brand of yacht rock!

I like me some Alan Parsons Project.

Well, I like his Instrumentals and thankfully Arista did a great job collecting them on the CD called... Instrumental Works. It got everything I need from APP.

So, he did not write these songs, doesn't even play nor sings on them. How is this an Alan Parsons album and not a project? You know, I was thinking, if I can get some people to sing few songs I wrote and use session musicians to play the music, can I still call those songs mine? Apparently, I do. In which case, look out for an album by Yngve J. Chapleen and since I'll have a pretend band, they will be called Laughing Force and because I won't do anything on it, it will be a Project.

Coming soon: Yngve J. Chapleen's Laughing Force Project. Mark your calendars.

About this album. (not mine)

Not bad. Clannad's Máire Brennan was a pleasant surprise, unlike the Spandau Ballet guy. Although, the song he sung was good too. Few cut's I can live without here though. Namely Track 5,10, 11, 12. Other than that, it was a good listen.

I'm not getting a Yacht Rock feel at all...until track number three.  But I have to say, this has a very cool, laid back vibe. The Spandau Ballet dude has a terrific voice.  Next song is pretty good too.  This doesn't really sound like something recorded in the 90's to me, especially the late 90's.

Now come on, Ignorance Is Bliss is Yacht Rock.  Or maybe even elevator music.  I'm sleeping while typing this.  Rubber Universe picks up the pace just a bit, a fairly nice little instrumental.  Sounds 80's to me for some reason.  The Celtic song is something my wife would like.  I certainly don't dislike it.

No Future In The Past picks it up a bit.  Pretty cool. 

I listened to the rest too.  Pretty much the same from start to finish.  Not a bad listen I guess, not anything earth shattering either.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos