Classic Rock Bottom

It's taken me a while to finish the last 2 CDs that I had to review, but with that task now complete I can move on to 2012.

Before I do though, here's my list of the 10 best CDs of 2011.

1. Whitesnake - Forevermore

The album was one of the first ones I bought in 2011 and it has never left my work bag the whole time since. This album was simply outstanding.

2. Beth Hart / Joe Bonamassa - Don't Explain

Likely the biggest surprise to me on the list. I like both artists but a covers album of jazz, R&B, soul and other songs as one of MY favorites. That shows you how good it is.

3. The Elves (featuring Ronnie James Dio) - And Before Elf...There Were Elves

The music world lost a giant when Ronnie James Dio passed. This archival release highlights an early part of his rise to the top of the Silver Mountain!

4. Simon Kirke - Filling The Void

The drummer behind all the big Bad Company hits turns the tables with this solo release. A solid rock and roll album that comes with a light touch instead of a ton of tricks of the trade.

5. Black Country Communion - 2

This album is a great album but for me it was a little less masterful than the first album.

6. Iced Earth - Dystopia

Best Iced Earth album from top to bottom in years.

7. U.D.O. - Rev-Raptor

The appreciation of Udo Dirkschneider continues to grow with each successive release from the band.

8. Anthrax - Worship Music

It was a long time coming but well worth the wait.

9. Bad Company - Live At Wembley

Documenting the band's Wembley Stadium concert in fine fashion.

10. Doro - 25 Years...And Still Going Strong

The CD part of this 2 disc DVD/ 1 CD release amply demonstrates why Doro Pesch remains the Metal Queen.

My Album of the Year:

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I liked the Black Country Communion and Anthrax cd's as well. Beth hart/Joe B., Elves, Simon Kirke, Iced Earth, Bad Co. and Doro are discs I haven't heard, but out of these the Hart/Bonamassa cd holds the most interest for me.

I disagree on the Whitesnake and U.D.O. selections. I think you guys are well aware of my dislike of Coverdale's vocals, and I'm really just not a fan of U.D.O.

Overall, great read. I must check out Hart/Bonamassa. I also wanna check out some solo Bonamassa.

Bonamassa's solo CD from 2011 "Dust Bowl" is on my want list.

I sampled that one, its very country...  Not my flavor...

I liked Whitesnake, but when I listened to it in the car, it sounded horrible so I couldn't include it.

I have the Whitesnake CD, only listened to it once.

Joe Bonamassa is playing a concert hall, I've never heard of him. I'm going to investigate online.

What is that Elf CD, what songs are included? I have this CD and a few Elf songs on a compilaiton that came out long ago.

I have the Iced Earth, it is good, but I'm not into them as much as I was years ago. Watching Over You is still my favorite Iced Earth song. Rev-Raptor, like it!

I LIKE - LIKE that Doro DVD and the song with the Scorpions! :)

Bad Company, I will check it out online! :)

The Elf CD is a mix of studio and live recordings.

The track listing is:

You Shook Me

Stay With Me

Four Day Creep

Buckingham Blues

Wakeup Sunshine

Driftin'

Smile For Me Lady

You Felt The Same Way

Simple Man

Drown Me In The River

Cold Ramona