Classic Rock Bottom

NEW MUSIC CORNER # 125 - A TALE OF TWO QUEENSRYCHES

Well, here we are.  Two Queensryches.  For those who are unaware of what's going on, Frequency Unknown is the Geoff Tate version of the band, while the self-titled Queensryche is fronted by Todd LaTorre.  I picked what I think are the best 5 songs on each album.  Who knows, these 5 tracks may not be what you would pick, but I think it should be enough for everyone to choose for himself.  Is it TateRyche, TorreRyche, both or neither.  I'll save my comments until others have chimed in.

1. Cold

2. Slave

3. Running Backwards

4. Life Without You

5. The Weight Of The World

6. Spore

7. In This Light

8. Redemption

9. Vindication

10. Don't Look Back

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll have to get back to you. Picking up the second disc today.

I think you will like it.

TATERYCHE ... Two Thumbs ready to forget about this one 

Cold is not good, Slave made it worse, Running Backwards well, you get the picture...  Theres no real feeling in the tunes, the choruses are hugely boring, and while there is some snippets with interesting geetars, they lose out to the mix.  Yup, I finally heard what everyone is fussing about the mix for.  It has a weird muffled quality to it (quality not being good in this context).  And certainly his vocals are nowhere near the earlier work, as expected, but this is just flat.  Even Coverdale learned how to use what he has left, Tate seems to struggle trying  at times.  One more word comes to mind.  HotMess!!  (Yes in some parts of the country that is one word)

Regarding Tate's vocals, here's my take.  I said back when Dedicated To Chaos came out that I felt like he did less "singing" and more "talking" through the lyrics.  I think he sings more on this release, but it has a very strong "nasal" sound to it.  Almost like he has a cold.  Does anybody else notice that?

Wow, we so do not agree Scott.

I did like TorreRyche...

Queenstatelessryche--Thumbs Up

Plesantly surprised by this, mush better than I expected it to be. Reminds me of the "classic" 'ryche, with just enough of a modern touch. LaTorre sounds like Tate, but so what? Don't believe he's trying to, he just does. The only problem I have with the CD is where the hell I'm going to put the patch. Seat of my pants? On my frilly leather jacket? This album was an impulse buy for me and I'm glad I spent the $9.99.  

You can wear the buttons on the jacket too.

Buttons? BUTTONS??? I didn't get no stinkin' buttons!

I got a patch, 3 buttons, a pick and a sticker.  But I had to get the deluxe version with those 3 live tracks.  That's all they had at Best Buy.  It was 11.99.

Queenstatefullryche--Thumbs in the middle, trending a bit up

This isn't as horrible bad as peeps say. There's actually some good stuff here, but the production almost kills it plus some of the geetaring just seems to come from left field. Was there also some autotunage going on? Reading about this you would think that Mr Tate ran over everyone's grandma with a grin on his face, reverse and run her over some more while cackling with glee. It's not really, really, good, but it's also not really, really bad. Probably doesn't came with a patch either.  

I kind of agree with you that there is some good stuff, like where you mention the geetars coming from left field, some of that wasn't so bad!  But I found not much else to like

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos