6. War Machine

7. Hangman

8. Gates Of Hell

9. Rise From The Shadows

10. We're All Gonna Die

Views: 113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good choices on the songs from the Geoff Tate CD. My review gave my thoughts on those songs.

GEOFF TATE - 3.5 out of 6 Classic Rocks

I've said it before, but I think Tate's voice have gone bad. I never had him as one of my favorite singers, but now it doesn't sounds good at all. First track sounds like....Queensrÿche. Not like the good old Queensrÿche from '84-'90, though. Second track is weird in a bad way. Sounds like filler to me. The guitar-solo sounds like something from The Edge. Third track actually sounds a bit like vintage Queensrÿche, but still not as good. A good start to the fourth track. An okay track. Last track is so-so. Even though, it doesn't sound like a purchase to me, I must say, I'm a bit surprised, that it's better than I thought it would be.  

KILL DEVIL HILL - 3.5 out of 6 Classic Rocks

I can't say, I remember I've heard anything about this band before. Album-cover and band-name tells me, I'm in for some Heavy Metal. Yeah, well kind of. This sounds okay to me. But it also sounds like so many other bands. First two track are good, next two tracks bores me. Last track is okay, but not that good. They remind me a bit of Alice In Chains. 

I've heard several people say they sound somewhat like Alice In Chains.

Geoff Tate--Thumbs Up

Yep, still say it sounds like a continuation of the last Queensryche album (which I think is quite good). His voice does sound a bit weak like Niels said, but I can live with that.  

Kill Devil Hill--Thumbs Up

Didn't expect much from this, but like the grooviness. This sounds like some other band whose name I can't think of right now. Wonder if this came out in the early 90's if it would have sold billions of copies.  

GEOFF TATE/QUEENSRYCHE?  ... 1 Thumb half up, the other thumb is off doing something else 

I must admit to not being overly excited about hearing this given the recent developments of Tate and QR and the iffy reviews.  I really liked the opening track, quite nice actually.  But the production is an issue.  Was hoping for a more Sonic feel to the tunes but the drums sound overly compressed, maybe its just me.  Everything seems to be mid-tempo as well.  Not such a bad thing, but gets a little boring and I lost track of what I was listening to easily and the last track wasn't very good at all (at least for me).  I will pass on this one.

KILL DEVIL HILL ... 2 Thumbs hitting the STOP button

Predictably this isn't my cup of tea.  But I tried...  This is extremely depressing music, just a glance at the song titles is an indicator or what you'll hear.   Pass...

I'll start with Kill Devil Hill. Can't remember where I first heard of this band. Here, maybe? Perhaps an earlier NMC, or a Smash or Trash? Or maybe somewhere else. Anyway, I heard something from it somewhere, and liked it enough to buy it.

I think it's excellent. Actually listened to the first half of the CD driving to work today, and will listen to the second half driving home. I dont find it depressing at all. I dont pay that much attention to the lyrics...if they bother me. But it's heavy and rocking, and I think it's excellent.

For the Geoff Tate, he definitely does n't even try to hit those amazing high notes anymore. But, pretty much every singer has to make adjustments as they age (except for Ronnie James Dio, perhaps? R.I.P.). But I give him kudos for making those adjustments, and continuing to do his best. Some singers ego's get in the way, and it's better to just acknowledge the changes that passing time will force upon you.

But I gotta say, some of you guys are a hard crowd to please. I'm really liking this as I listen my first time through. I'm on track 4, and I already have it under consideration for purchasing. This 4th track has a very nice vocal melody to it. Very good lead after the part where the song breaks down to just vocals and drums...when it kicks back in, this guitar lead is rippin'.

And despite the fact that he cant sing as well as he used too, he still has some great vocal harmonies and melodies on this.

So, to RJHog...I say again...thanks for posting this. After listening several times through, I'm gonna buy this Geoff Tate, as well.

Both bands (at different times) has been opening up for some on Alice Cooper's present tour. I am hearing that Geoff Tate is going over very poorly but Kill Devil Hill is getting some good response.

In his heyday, Tate was a good singer and the first four or five Queensryche albums were really good, especially Operation Mindcime. Mindcrime is one of the greatest concept albums ever.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos