Classic Rock Bottom

by "the originator of THIS" Jon

WARNING: This includes language that might offend some.

Muse--Drones (June 2015)

1. Dead Inside

2. Psycho

3. Reapers

4. Revolt

5. The Globalist

Armored Saint--Win Hands Down (June 2015)

1. Mess

2. Muscle Memory

3. With A Full Head Of Steam

4. Dive

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

MUSE - Thumbs even
When I heard the album the first time, I thought it sounded better than the last two Muse-albums, and heavier. The second time, I wasn't so sure anymore. Sure, there's some Heavy riffs, and the album might be the best they've done for many years, but I am not and will never be a fan of Muse. The songs are not strong at all, the singer is not good at all, they still try Hard to sound like Queen and they are way overrated. Mutt Lange might have done a good job, but he's clearly not the genius producer, he once was, and working with this weak material must be Hard. It IS the best album, they've done since "Black Holes", but if this album ends up on any Top 10 list in the end of the year, it certainly is a very weak year.

MUSE ... Two Thumbs whos opinion of Mutt Lange has been damaged

Pretty much will Niels on this one.  Was excited to hear a new Mutt Lange produced album, err.. CD, but this just isn't what I hoped for.  Its somewhere between Nickelback's Dark Horse and Pure-Pop.  I don't recall liking their last effort either, so this isn't gonna help me in the future.  The songs are pretentious, and overdone, kind of feels like a lot of over thinking went into this.  The lullaby-ish Globalist is the perfect nail in the coffin tune, well at least the first 6 minutes was better than the last 4.

ARMORED SAINT ... Two Thumbs wondering what just happened here!

Well the world has turned around today, or maybe the Muse experience has me wanting for something of uniqueness and substance!  I wont go as far as saying that this is great or something I will buy, but I will say its not too bad.  Muscle Memory is actually pretty cool, ok really cool, that geetar work is stellar. Mess was an OK opener but the other 3 tunes are really cool.  Why only 4 tracks?  You may have changed my mind about this band, I want to hear more of this album err.. CD

There were only four even numbered tracks.

Muse - I have to say I'm with Niels and Scott on this one.  It's really just not interesting.  The third track, Reapers, was somewhat attention grabbing, but the distortion in the production ruins it for me. And That final song tries so hard to be epic, especially with all of the piano flourishes, but it just doesn't get there for me.  Unfortunately, the best I can do on this one is thumbs even.

Armored Saint - Just the intro to Mess is better than anything on the Muse sampler.  And Scott was holding back just a bit regarding Muscle Memory.  That is a badass song.  The guitar work across this whole album is stellar.  And I do believe that is Pearl Aday on the third song featured here.  She has sounded great on both of her appearances this year (Motor Sister being the other).  Oh, I forgot to mention the great lyric in Muscle Memory, "Face it like a man, face it like a wimp, but either way you're facing it".  Awesome.  I own this album and it's very good.  Thumbs up.

Oh, I wonder why Niels hasn't listened to this...???

Okay, then I will right now.

1st song has clearly got a "Love Gun"-intro. Otherwise it sounds like I thought it would, kind of like Iron Maiden. I'm not a fan of this kind of rock these days. If I want to listen to it, I put on some newer Maiden-albums. "Mess" has the correct title, because it IS a mess especially in the chorus. "Muscle" has a nice start. Doesn't sound as much as Maiden. I'm not impressed by the singer. When he raises his voice, he's a deadringer for Dickinson. I can't see, why you think, it's a badass-song? Bad, yes. Ass, well..?! "Steam" has also got a nice start. I like the speed. Again Dickinson on vocals. This is VERY Maiden around '83. Not as good, though. Oh, a "badass" woman-singer. You know, I'm not much for badass woman-singers. I like them nice and soft. It's an okay song, I guess. The guitars are fine. "Dive" with piano!! Again an interesting start, a bit boring though. This sounds like some other band/song, I can't recall right now, but that must mean, this band certainly ain't very original. Okay guitarsolo, but not great. Nah, I'm not impressed at all. Thumbs pointing down, not all the way, but quite close to the bottom.

I knew you wouldn't like it, I just wanted to guilt you into listening to it.

I see. So the next time you wonder, why I don't listen to something, I can asume, that I probably won't like the stuff?!!

Yes it is Pearl Aday on that guest vocal. She's listed in the liner notes.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos