Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK #172 PINK FLOYD - WISH YOU WERE HERE (1975)

Artist: Pink Floyd

Genre: Progressive Rock

Country Of Origin: England

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (1996)

Album: Wish You Were Here

Released: September 12, 1975

Producer: Pink Floyd

Pink Floyd Lineup: David Gilmour (vocals, guitar)/Nick Mason (drums)/Roger Waters (vocals, bass guitar)/Richard Wright (keyboards, backing vocals)

Best Single: Have A Cigar (The only single I'm aware of)

Best Album Cut: Wish You Were Here

Hidden Gems: Everything, though nothing is hidden

Filler: Nada

Lyric Of The Week: "By the way, which one's Pink?" - Have A Cigar

Disclaimer:  All "facts" come from Wikipedia unless otherwise noted.

Continuing with the prog theme this week, I've got Pink Floyd for you.  Honestly, I have never been a huge fan of Pink Floyd.  My cousin had The Wall way back when and I just never got it.  With age, I've gained a respect for their music.  And I'd say this is my favorite album of theirs.  Let's face it, this album is just a pure pleasure to listen to.  Here are just a few tidbits about the album:

• Wish You Were Here was a number one album for Pink Floyd.
  • It is only certified 6 x Platinum in the U.S.  I say "only" because it followed the 15 X Platinum album Dark Side Of The Moon.
  • Shine On You Crazy Diamond is a tribute to Syd Barrett, the former vocalist for the band.
  • Roy Harper handles lead vocals on Have A Cigar.
  • The album cover is phenomenal, as is the song Wish You Were Here.  
  • This album features amazing guitar work by David Gilmour.

Track Listing

Side One:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts I-V

2. Welcome To The Machine

Side Two:

3. Have A Cigar

4. Wish You Were Here

5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only love two Floyd-albums: "Dark Side" and this one. "Dark Side" is my favorite but this one contains my favorite Floyd-track: Shine On You Crazy Diamond. That's an awesome track!!

I can never get tired of listening to this album. A superb piece of craftmanship, I must say. To steal a line from Mike Pell, "if you don't have this album in your collection, your collection isn't complete". This ranks as my secnd favorite Floyd album, behind "The Wall".

You never "got" The Wall? You crazy? Listen to the album, watch the movie, listen to the album again, get the live version, listen to that, listen to the studio album again, get the tribute album, listen to that, watch the movie again and then listen to the studio version again. You must do all of this in one day. You will then get it. If not, you have mental problems.

I didn't get "The Wall" either, even though I saw Roger Waters and friends at the Berlin Wall in 1990, me and 350.000 of my closest friends.

There's too much filler on that album.

DSOTM are Floyd's masterpiece, with this one on a second-place.

Shouldnt this album cover be in the tournament?  Would have been a nice tie-in.

And whats with all the hatorade about with The Wall?  Dont get that, its easily my favorite Floyd with this one coming in second.  Dont get me wrong Dark Side is awesome, just enormously overplayed.  Meddle comes in at a very close 4th - now thats cool album that doesnt get much love on here either!

Doesn't fit the cover tournament theme that no one has bothered to guess at...except Mike Mills.

Theme?

Yep, I posted in the thread for the play in game that there was a theme, see if you can guess what it is.  However, I just noticed that I spelled theme "them", so maybe that's why nobody caught on.

totally didnt catch it!  probably not a bad idea to reiterate

Yeah!

if I were to rank the top 5:

1. The Wall

2. Wish You Were Here

3. The Final Cut

4. Meddle

5.Dark Side Of The Moon, due to what you said; it is enormously overplayed! But so are some cuts from "The Wall", but it's total awesomeness in it's awesome glory. 

I don't really get the "overplayed" reason? If an album is great, then it's great, and then I don't give a shit about how many times, some radiostation or whoever overplayed it.

Same thing, about the reason some of you give regarding Bohemean Rhapsody has been ruined, because of the scene in "Wayne's World". In a few years, that movie will be long forgotten, but BR will forever be (imo) the greatest track ever, no matter who tries to ruin it, with or without intention.

I like that movie scene, and it makes me like BR even more.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos