Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 69 BLACK SABBATH - BLACK SABBATH (1970)

Artist: Black Sabbath

Album: Black Sabbath

Producer: Rodger Bain

Band Members: Ozzy Osbourne/Tony Iommi/Geezer Butler/Bill Ward

Album Cover: 9/10 (pretty evil looking if you ask me)

This week I give you Black Sabbath's self-titled debut from 1970 as album of the week.  It wasn't exactly a chart-buster, but according to Wikipedia it did manage to attain the platinum sales level (1 million units in the U.S.).  It has been cited by many as one of the defining albums in the development of heavy metal music. 

Now, to be honest, the track listing is a bit hard to follow.  And there's no good information on Wikipedia's page about singles, therefore I didn't throw that in at the top like usual.  There is some fairly interesting info and pictures HERE if you'd like to read further about it.  This re-direct takes you to black-sabbath.com.  My favorite song is N.I.B., but I like the whole album.  It's quite eerie and evil sounding, especially the opening track.  It would sound at home on an old scary movie soundtrack.  All I can say is that if I would have heard this as a small kid, it would have definitely scared the crap out of me.

I love the artwork.  It just looks so evil.  It's easy to find on Amazon if you are interested.

Did You Know: According to black-sabbath.com, N.I.B does not stand for "nativity in black" as the rumour would have it, but it refers to a nickname the band had for Bill Ward and his goatee at the time, a "pen-nib". 

Next week: Let's continue our companion albums and get symphonic. 

1. Black Sabbath

2. The Wizzard

3. Wasp/Behind The Wall Of Sleep/Basically/N.I.B

4. Wicked World

5. A Bit Of Finger/Sleeping Village/Warning

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A true classic album. Not one of my favorite-BS albums, but nevertheless a great album. I remember, I got scared, looking at the album-cover. I had just seen "The Exorcist", and was terrified of evil supernaturell things. Even though Ozzy is the original singer, for me RJD is the best BS-singer. The first BS-album I heard, and bought was Heaven and Hell, and for me, Ozzy was a solo-artist, with an EXELLENT debut-album.  
I had a hard time deciding between this album and Heaven And Hell to post this week.

What I want to know is....why does the woman on the album cover look green???

She must have had some of her own home made bats head soup...

Still have this on vinyl, and have not heard it in a long time, so listening to it right now, and its great to hear it again!

Black Sabbath still is...and will always be....the true Masters of Heavy Metal!

This or Sabotage is my favorite of the Ozzy led albums.

My personal favorite has always been "Masters Of Reality"...and that is probably true due to the fact it was the first Sabbath album I ever heard, at a tender young age of 11 or so. Not only was it the first Sabbath I had ever heard, it was the first heavy metal album I ever heard, period.

But any Sabbath album during the Ozzy and Dio eras are great listens. I'll be listening to Jon's Sabbath post after finishing up the debut on this post...listening for the second time in a row!

She's green because she's a witch. All witches are green. Haven't you seen that Oz movie? Sheesh!
I thought it was Ozzy...

Listened to this whole album for the first time EVER. Heard most of the songs elsewhere, a few I hadn't. I like it but, like Gordon, I compare most everything to "Paranoid" since it was my first BS album and is still my fave. Followed by "Mob Rules", for those counting. 

Basically, good album but I'm still not in a rush to add it to my collection.

Interesting listen.  I too am a RJD Sabbath fan, and then Ozzy.  This is one for history no doubt, but most likely not for my collection.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos