Classic Rock Bottom

Everybody has their favorite bands, and usually, a person would own a good bit of material from their favorite bands.  But how about those bands that you've always wanted to get to know a little better.  Use this thread to list at least 5 bands whose material you'd like to own more of.  I'll list 5 here:

1. Rush - I haven't seen all of the new documentary, but what I did see has peaked my interest. 

2. E.L.O. - Everytime I hear a song by ELO I wonder why I don't own more of their material

3. The Allman Brothers Band -  I do have a greatest hits box set, but I'd really like to pick up some studio albums.

4. Tom Petty - Again, I only have a greatest hits disc and now Mojo.  I've got Damn The Torpedos on my Amazon wish list but I also want Hard Promises.

5. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - I have a greatest hits disc and Deja Vu, but as much as I love the vocal melodies from this band, I'm not sure why I don't own more.

Views: 502

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike: Thanks for the heads up regarding especially Styx. I will definitely check some Styx-albums out.

I'm not so sure about Journey, since I have heard a "greatest hits"-album a year or two back in time, and I was not impressed at all. It's that 80's soft-rock sound, that I don't really care about, but I'll give "Infinity" a try, since I've just been very surprised about how good especially the BAND Alice Cooper were, since I've never really thought that much good about AC. I'm almost a fan now, so who knows, maybe it'll be the same thing regarding Journey some day

Besides Styx, I will look deeper int to the "Kansas"-catalouge one of these days.

Niels, keep in mind that prior to Escape, Gregg Rolie was in the band. Rolie gave Journey a more bluesy feel, in contrast to the more poppy feel they had with Jonathan Cain. While, I'm a fan of their entire catalog, my favorite & most listened to work, is that while Rolie was still in the band. Evolution, Infinity & Departure are excellent, capped off by the live album Captured.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

I've just listened to the first four tracks on Styx's "The Grand Illusion", and some of it sounds okay, in fact "Fooling Yourself" (I think it was), sounds a bit like City Boy, a favorite band of mine in the late 70's, but "Come Sail Away" doesn't sound good in my ears, kind of like how I feared Styx would sound like. But I'll keep on listening later on.

Fooling Yourself, is a great tune! Come Sail Away was one of their big hits, but it's by no means one of my favorites. They have a lot of buried treasures, so keep digging.

Okay, now I've been listening to two Styx-albums and Two Journey-albums, and I definitely like the Styx-albums better than Journey.

And since I'm now listening to this music (that I don't have on CD's) through some real good speakers, some of these albums are getting MUCH better. Especially the old Genesis-albums.

But back to Styx: I'm surprised, how good, they are. "Pieces Of Eight" is very good, and I still hear "City Boy" in there, somewhere. I wonder why Mutt Lange didn't produce Styx, since they have that great guitar-sound, and cool harmonies, like CB and Leppard. Well, maybe they didn't need him at all.

Right now, I'm listening to "Force It" by UFO. Better late, than never, Jon.

I recommend Crystal Ball and Equinox as well.

Unfortunally I don't think, I'm able to find those two albums in Spotify. Maybe they can appear in AOTW sometime?
Nah, forget about it. I can listen to "Equinox" and "Crystal Ball" on Youtube, so I'm fine.

Niels has been converted.  He is now officially a Styx fan!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos