Classic Rock Bottom

Since the inaugural version was such a rousing success*, the power that be (there can be only one!) has decided it's time for another music challenge.

The rules are simple:

Starting 5/1/14 (that's May 1st of the year 2014 for those that have problems with numbers), you will have 31 (thirty-one) days to listen to 30 (thirty) albums. No, not just ANY albums, but a specific genre of albums.

Last November's challenge was easy. Five (5) albums each from the 60's (sixties), 70's (seventies), 80's (eighties), 90's (nineties) and 00's (umm....zeroes zeroes?). Simple. Those that completed that challenge were given to opportunity to pick a specific genre for the next challenge, which is THIS challenge. 

So, you're probably asking yourself "What are the categories, or genres, this time?" Well, we don't know yet. We're making you wait and giving you ample time to get prepared. We're like that. 

For those that complete the challenge, you'll be given the opportunity to pick a category for an upcoming challenge, just like those that completed the inaugural challenge. Yep, we're nice like that. 

You can keep a running tally of your albums in this post. The only requirements are the album title, artist and what challenge category it falls into. You can also wait to post until you're done with the challenge. Either way is perfectly fine. We're easy like that. 

All you need to do now is wait. Wait for the categories to appear below. Wait, but breathe. Always remember to breathe.   

MAY CHALLENGE

1) Listen to 5 albums from a group named after a city, state or country (from Rjhog)

COMPLETED #1: Matthew N., Jon, Scott G., Niels, Rjhog, Mike M., Noah M.

2) Listen to 5 disco and/or funk albums, soundtracks included (per Scott G.)

COMPLETED #2: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M. 

3) Listen to 5 punk and/or alternative rock albums but 2 of the 5 MUST be Punk (so says Mike)

COMPLETED #3: Rjhog, Matthew N., Jon, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

4) Listen to 5 NWOBHM albums from the years 1980 and/or 1981(request from Niels)

COMPLETED #4: Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Rjhog, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

5) Listen to 5 albums from a group where at least one band member died (courtesy Scott B.)**

COMPLETED #5: Jon, Matthew N., Rjhog, Niels, Scott G., Mike M., Noah M.

6) Listen to 5 albums featuring a female lead singer

COMPLETED #6: Rjhog, Niels, Matthew N., Jon, Mike M., Scott G., Noah M.

* with the exception of Scott, who tried to ruin the fun 

**for example, you can listen to an AC/DC album but it will need to be an album featuring Bon Scott

Views: 2371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have seen that, but don't agree on either of those bands.

Here's a good response from someone regarding NWOBHM:

"The NWOBHM was not a classifying genre, but a certain period where heavy metal bands had a certain sound. The bands were different from each other and many of the bands even created subgenres of their own! Venom and Iron Maiden are not even compareable. Not to even speak of Girlschool and Angel Witch. And Saxon!"

"Judas Priest is not, will never be, and was never a part of the NWOBHM. They were among the few traditional and classic metalbands from the early 70's, when it all started. They inspired many NWOBHM-bands, YES, but they were never a part of it."

"Someone"? That's not good enough. I won't give!!

Actually I don't consider Motörhead for NWOBHM, but I don't mind them being called a NWOBHM-band. I think, that Lemmy said, also around the time, that they were NOT a NWOBHM-band, and that was good enough for me. I don't think Priest have said they weren't a NWOBHM-band. I don't say I'm THE expert on the subject, but I WAS buying all those NWOBHM-records exactly at that time in 1980/81.

Maybe I'm reading that last part wrong, but are you saying that since you bought some Priest albums during the NWOBHM, you consider them NWOBHM?

What he's saying is that JP or Motorhead is acceptable for "HIS" category.  But not Gillan.

Let's do this: Niels has allowed JP as part of NWOBHM, so we're going with that, but let's take a poll on FB and see what the minions say.

No, that's really not what I'm saying. The first time I heard of NWOBHM was on a radio-show, where I heard Priest and Maiden. All the articles I read at the time about NWOBHM (in my german pop-magazines), mentioned Priest aso......BUT....I myself also had a doubt, when I realized, that Priest had made albums before "British Steel" (which WAS my first NWOBHM-album), so...if Halford said, that he didn't consider Priest a part of NWOBHM, I certainly wouldn't count them among NWOBHM anymore, but if Harris said the same thing about Maiden, I STILL would consider Maiden a NWOBHM-band. I'll go as far as to say I'm not a 100% sure about Priest, as I am about Maiden. Only 75%.

So the question is, for this challenge, is Judas Priest acceptable?  You make the call since this is your category.

They are.

Yes. I know, they released albums years before '79/'80, but right now, I'm listening to Iggy Pop & The Stooges, and I consider them Punk, even though Punk "broke" in 1976. Some bands fit a special catagory, even though they were a little early. Priest was the first band, I ever heard around that time in the spring of 1980 on a radioshow, playing ""Breaking The Law" along with Maiden playing "Running Free". Where I'm from, they are considered biggies in NWOBHM together with Maiden, Leppard and Saxon. Those are the 4 big ones!!!

Listen to 5 albums featuring a female lead singer

1. Headpins--Line Of Fire

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos