Classic Rock Bottom

1980 | 1981

1982 Year in music...

• February 13 – A 300-pound (136 kg) gravestone from the grave of Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant is stolen from an Orange Park, Florida cemetery. Police found the gravestone 2 weeks later in a dry river bed.
  • February 19 - Ozzy Osbourne is arrested after urinating on The Alamo, in San Antonio, Texas.
  • March 4 – Frank Zappa's son Dweezil and daughter Moon Unit form Fred Zeppelin.
  • March 19 – Ozzy Osbourne's lead guitarist, Randy Rhoads, is killed in a freak accident in Leesburg, Florida when the plane in which he is riding buzzes Osbourne's tour bus and crashes into a house. The plane's pilot and a female passenger are also killed.
  • March 22 – Iron Maiden release The Number of the Beast (album), the critically acclaimed yet controversial album which is often hailed as Iron Maiden's greatest. Christians in the USA went out and bought Iron Maiden's albums (along with those of Ozzy Osbourne's) and burnt them in protest to what they thought were Satanic lyrics. This album hit number one in the UK charts.
  • May 18 - Three weeks after disappearing, Joe Strummer and his girlfriend are found living in Paris, two days after they ran the Paris Marathon.
  • July 4 – Ozzy Osbourne marries his manager Sharon Arden in Maui, Hawaii.
  • August 31 – Ronnie James Dio plays his final show with Black Sabbath (until 1992).
  • September 3–5 - The first US Festival is held over Labor Day Weekend near Devore, California. The Police, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Talking Heads and The B-52's are among the many performers.
  • October 1 – The first compact discs appear in music stores in Japan.
  • November 30 – Thriller is released by Michael Jackson and goes on to be greatest selling album of all time, with 110 million units sold worldwide.
  • December 3 – The most successful group of the 1970s, Abba, release their final original single "Under Attack". A split is never officially announced.

My Top 5 Albums of 1982...

1. Eddie Money - No Control
  2. Chilliwack - Opus X
  3. Rush - Signals
  4. Kansas - Vinyl Confessions
  5. Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack

and finally... here's 5 tracks that got played in my version of 1982...

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/ahn829mn

Kim Carnes
Voyeur

1 - Looker

Following the massive success of her previous album, this disc was considered a sales disappointment. It peaked at #49 on Billboard's album chart and sold approximately 300,000 copies in the US.

The album spawned two hit singles, "Voyeur" and "Does It Make You Remember", which peaked at #29 and #36 on Billboard magazine's Hot 100 chart, respectively. Both tracks featured popular MTV music videos.

"Say You Don't Know Me" was released as a promo single in Canada, with no charting effect. In Continental Europe and Scandinavia "Undertow" was released as the follow-up to "Voyeur" and in the UK instead "Take It on the Chin", both of which met with limited success. The track "Looker" was a stylized version of the closing theme from the movie of the same name, which was written and directed by Michael Crichton.

Billy Squier
Emotions In Motion

2 - She's A Runner

Emotions in Motion is one of Billy Squier's most popular albums, certified Gold in September 1982 and Platinum a month later. Though multi-platinum awards were not certified prior to late 1984, the album received a Double Platinum award in 1991. Emotions in Motion is also Billy's second best selling album, after the previous year's Triple Platinum Don't Say No.

The cover art was created for Squier by Andy Warhol. Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury and drummer Roger Taylor sing background on the title track, Like its predecessor, the album was produced by Squier with Reinhold Mack, who had produced Queen's The Game.

Eddie Money
No Control

3 - Runnin' Away

No Control is a Platinum-certified album by American Rock musician Eddie Money. It was his fourth album, released in the summer of 1982. It featured one of his biggest career hits, "Think I'm In Love".

Money continued his successes and took advantage of the MTV music video scene in the early 1980s with his humorous narrative videos for "Shakin'" and "Think I'm in Love," but his career began to fail him after several unsuccessful releases in the mid-1980s, accompanied by his struggles with drug addiction. He joined a 12-step program in 2001 and has said of his addiction "I came to the realization that I didn't really need it for my quick wit."

Robert Plant
Pictures At Eleven

4 - Worse Than Detroit (dedicated to Jon)

Pictures at Eleven is the debut solo album by former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, released in 1982. Genesis drummer Phil Collins played drums for six of the album's eight songs. Ex-Rainbow drummer Cozy Powell handled drums on "Slow Dancer" and "Like I've Never Been Gone". The title is an often-heard phrase in U.S. television news that would follow a brief announcement of a story of interest to be shown later during a station's 11 p.m. news program.

Pictures at Eleven is the only one of Plant's solo albums to appear on Led Zeppelin's record label Swan Song. By the time of Plant's next release, 1983's The Principle of Moments, Swan Song had ceased to function and Plant had started his own label titled Es Paranza, which would also be distributed by Atlantic Records.

Judas Priest
Screaming For Vengeance

5 - Devils Child

Stylistically, Screaming for Vengeance showcased a harder, heavier sound than British Steel and saw the band quickly reverse direction back into straight heavy rock after the lighter-styled direction of Point Of Entry. The Vengeance World Tour began shortly after the album's release in July 1982 and focused on North America during the summer and fall, Priest not performing in Europe until early 1983. This emphasis on US audiences was in order to establish a solid commercial foothold there, and in particular because You've Got Another Thing Comin' became a major hit. That and Electric Eye became live setlist staples and some of the band's most performed songs. For comparison, the title track (which KK Downing described as "difficult to play in a live setting") was played only 38 times, none after 1984.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another good eccentric collection of tunes!

For a moment there I thought you were doing a Running Theme!

Forgot that Billy Squier & how much I liked it.

And nice picture of 1982...but what ARE those things, lol?

I have vivid memories of that Squire album playing everywhere and all the time! 

Eccentric is a good word, I tried to capture my view of the year in musical styles...  Think I got pretty close, from the new wave-ish feel of Looker to the Pop Rock of Squire and Money, the new sound of Plant and the Metal of Priest!  It really was that kind of year!

Forgot to answer your questions about what those things are in the banner graphic...

Mike, those are really cheap and useless cassette tapes, probably found at the local 7-Eleven or K-Mart in packs of 10 for 4.99...

I on the other hand used Maxell UD XLII 90's exclusively for my mix-tape series.  Yes, I in fact had a carton full of mix tapes in my car and titled them all "Good Shit ##" - I kid you not....

I don't use those kinds of words anymore except when describing my series of late 70's early 80's mix tapes...

Scott, I was just kidding, I knew what they were.

I have mixtapes going half up the wall, wonder if I'll ever listen to them again?

I mean there's some Good Shit there!
In fact, I have a ton of unopened Sony blank cassettes.

I am waiting for someday when the price skyrockets on eBay, lol!

I knew that you knew that I knew what those were....  It was yet another poor attempt at humor...

I figured you did.

It wasn't a poor attempt Scott, it was just so subtle I couldn't be sure, lol!
Either way, it did make me laugh!

1982! I had my cassette Walkman and there were two albums I listened to over and over again, "Hot Space" by Queen and "Pictures At Eleven" by Robert Plant. This was also the year that I broke free from Ms Haversham's School For Wayard Lads and became a free man!

Back then, this would have been my top 5 list:

1. The Michael Schenker Group--Assault Attack

2. Queen--Hot Space

3. Robert Plant--Pictures At Eleven

4. Uriah Heep--Abominog

5. Asia--Asia/Larry Gowan--Gowan (tie)

Today my list would look like this:

2. Iron Maiden--The Number Of The Beast

3. Uriah Heep--Abominog

4. Robert Plant--Pictures At Eleven

5. Rush--Signals

6. Pat Travers--Black Pearl

7. Asia--Asia

8. Queen--Hot Space

9. Michael Jackson--Thriller

10. Dire Straits--Love Over Gold

and others I enjoy(ed), in no particular order:

Scorpions--Blackout

The Motels--All Four One

Toto--IV

Jethro Tull--Broadsword And The Beast

Billy Squier--Emotions In Motion

Judas Priest--Screaming For Vengeance

Golden Earring--Cut

Billy Joel--The Nylon Curtain

Hall & Oates--H2O

Jefferon Starship--Winds Of Change

Kiss--Creatures Of The Night

Prince--1999

The Who--It's Hard

Tygers Of Pan Tang--The Cage (definite step down from their previous albums, but it was the first Tyger's album I ever bought and I still kinda like it)

No Vinyl Confessions?  Thought you liked that one...

I didn't like it then but like it now. Don't know if I could legally include it. Kinda like APP "Eye In The Sky", didn't like it then, but like it now.

Oh boy, I forgot something. I have to redo my top 5 back then:

2. Queen--Hot Space

3. Robert Plant--Pictures At Eleven

4. Y&T--Black Tiger

5. Uriah Heep--Abominog

And this also changes my now list:

2. Iron Maiden--The Number Of The Beast

3. Y&T--Black Tiger

4. Uriah Heep--Abominog

5. Robert Plant--Pictures At Eleven

6. Rush--Signals

7. Pat Travers--Black Pearl

8. Asia--Asia

9. Queen--Hot Space

20. Michael Jackson--Thriller

But how do you feel about Detroit Jon, lol?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos