Classic Rock Bottom

1980 | 1981

1982 Year in music...

• February 13 – A 300-pound (136 kg) gravestone from the grave of Lynyrd Skynyrd singer Ronnie Van Zant is stolen from an Orange Park, Florida cemetery. Police found the gravestone 2 weeks later in a dry river bed.
  • February 19 - Ozzy Osbourne is arrested after urinating on The Alamo, in San Antonio, Texas.
  • March 4 – Frank Zappa's son Dweezil and daughter Moon Unit form Fred Zeppelin.
  • March 19 – Ozzy Osbourne's lead guitarist, Randy Rhoads, is killed in a freak accident in Leesburg, Florida when the plane in which he is riding buzzes Osbourne's tour bus and crashes into a house. The plane's pilot and a female passenger are also killed.
  • March 22 – Iron Maiden release The Number of the Beast (album), the critically acclaimed yet controversial album which is often hailed as Iron Maiden's greatest. Christians in the USA went out and bought Iron Maiden's albums (along with those of Ozzy Osbourne's) and burnt them in protest to what they thought were Satanic lyrics. This album hit number one in the UK charts.
  • May 18 - Three weeks after disappearing, Joe Strummer and his girlfriend are found living in Paris, two days after they ran the Paris Marathon.
  • July 4 – Ozzy Osbourne marries his manager Sharon Arden in Maui, Hawaii.
  • August 31 – Ronnie James Dio plays his final show with Black Sabbath (until 1992).
  • September 3–5 - The first US Festival is held over Labor Day Weekend near Devore, California. The Police, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Fleetwood Mac, Grateful Dead, Talking Heads and The B-52's are among the many performers.
  • October 1 – The first compact discs appear in music stores in Japan.
  • November 30 – Thriller is released by Michael Jackson and goes on to be greatest selling album of all time, with 110 million units sold worldwide.
  • December 3 – The most successful group of the 1970s, Abba, release their final original single "Under Attack". A split is never officially announced.

My Top 5 Albums of 1982...

1. Eddie Money - No Control
  2. Chilliwack - Opus X
  3. Rush - Signals
  4. Kansas - Vinyl Confessions
  5. Michael Schenker Group - Assault Attack

and finally... here's 5 tracks that got played in my version of 1982...

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/ahn829mn

Kim Carnes
Voyeur

1 - Looker

Following the massive success of her previous album, this disc was considered a sales disappointment. It peaked at #49 on Billboard's album chart and sold approximately 300,000 copies in the US.

The album spawned two hit singles, "Voyeur" and "Does It Make You Remember", which peaked at #29 and #36 on Billboard magazine's Hot 100 chart, respectively. Both tracks featured popular MTV music videos.

"Say You Don't Know Me" was released as a promo single in Canada, with no charting effect. In Continental Europe and Scandinavia "Undertow" was released as the follow-up to "Voyeur" and in the UK instead "Take It on the Chin", both of which met with limited success. The track "Looker" was a stylized version of the closing theme from the movie of the same name, which was written and directed by Michael Crichton.

Billy Squier
Emotions In Motion

2 - She's A Runner

Emotions in Motion is one of Billy Squier's most popular albums, certified Gold in September 1982 and Platinum a month later. Though multi-platinum awards were not certified prior to late 1984, the album received a Double Platinum award in 1991. Emotions in Motion is also Billy's second best selling album, after the previous year's Triple Platinum Don't Say No.

The cover art was created for Squier by Andy Warhol. Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury and drummer Roger Taylor sing background on the title track, Like its predecessor, the album was produced by Squier with Reinhold Mack, who had produced Queen's The Game.

Eddie Money
No Control

3 - Runnin' Away

No Control is a Platinum-certified album by American Rock musician Eddie Money. It was his fourth album, released in the summer of 1982. It featured one of his biggest career hits, "Think I'm In Love".

Money continued his successes and took advantage of the MTV music video scene in the early 1980s with his humorous narrative videos for "Shakin'" and "Think I'm in Love," but his career began to fail him after several unsuccessful releases in the mid-1980s, accompanied by his struggles with drug addiction. He joined a 12-step program in 2001 and has said of his addiction "I came to the realization that I didn't really need it for my quick wit."

Robert Plant
Pictures At Eleven

4 - Worse Than Detroit (dedicated to Jon)

Pictures at Eleven is the debut solo album by former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant, released in 1982. Genesis drummer Phil Collins played drums for six of the album's eight songs. Ex-Rainbow drummer Cozy Powell handled drums on "Slow Dancer" and "Like I've Never Been Gone". The title is an often-heard phrase in U.S. television news that would follow a brief announcement of a story of interest to be shown later during a station's 11 p.m. news program.

Pictures at Eleven is the only one of Plant's solo albums to appear on Led Zeppelin's record label Swan Song. By the time of Plant's next release, 1983's The Principle of Moments, Swan Song had ceased to function and Plant had started his own label titled Es Paranza, which would also be distributed by Atlantic Records.

Judas Priest
Screaming For Vengeance

5 - Devils Child

Stylistically, Screaming for Vengeance showcased a harder, heavier sound than British Steel and saw the band quickly reverse direction back into straight heavy rock after the lighter-styled direction of Point Of Entry. The Vengeance World Tour began shortly after the album's release in July 1982 and focused on North America during the summer and fall, Priest not performing in Europe until early 1983. This emphasis on US audiences was in order to establish a solid commercial foothold there, and in particular because You've Got Another Thing Comin' became a major hit. That and Electric Eye became live setlist staples and some of the band's most performed songs. For comparison, the title track (which KK Downing described as "difficult to play in a live setting") was played only 38 times, none after 1984.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, I forgot about "Black Tiger" by Y&T. I really liked that one, so it would definitetly had hit the 6th spot on my list.

There were lots of titles, that my innocent young brain at that time, had no idea about, what the innuendo was. Now, there's another weak Queen-album ;-)

Being a Dane, I'm sure, I'm still missing out a lot.

My Top 5 at that time were (keep in mind, I didn't own a lot of music at that time, so my Top 5 would consist of what I listened to the most that either I owned or one of my cousins owned):

5. Queen - Hot Space - Don't care as much for this today, though it's still pretty good, but I listened to it a lot back then.

4. Eagles - Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 - Face it, this is just a really good greatest hits album.

3. REO Speedwagon - Good Trouble - Many folks don't care for this one, but I loved it, still do.  Only one bad song (Let's Be-Bop or something like that).  And I saw this tour as it came to Augusta.

2. Rick Springfield - Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet - Not afraid to admit it.  I've always been a fan.  Had this on cassette.  And although his music has really matured since this release, it is still cool to me.

1. Van Halen - Diver Down - I know, maybe the weakest of the original six, but we wore this bad boy out.  I remember being out in my cousins' shop, tape player blasting Big Bad Bill Is Sweet William Now, all while playing ping pong or sanding somebody's car.

All I will say is this....I still love and listen to my mix-tapes!! Like Jon said a while back, it was a "labor of love". My cassette deck still works well in my home stereo, both boom boxes I have still have working cassette players, and lastly, my 2004 Toyota Camry still has a working cassette tape. So, I still listen to mix-tapes from the greatest DJ EVER! (boys....that would be me!!! )

Glad to hear all those players work for you, as I can't even buy a boombox with a cassette player anymore.

Pretty much all mine have problems, got 2 Pioneer Pro decks and one the tape won't grip, the other the door won't open.

But Gordon, make that the SECOND the greatest DJ EVER, LOL!

I'll take second place to you, Mike!

Try Wal-mart. I recently found a Sony for about $55 that has CD/Cassette/Radio.

Hahahaha...thanks, just kidding, but I'll try to live up to it.

Unfortunately, the are no Wal-marts in New York City.

I don't know why, but I suspect they have the good sense to not come to such a bastion of liberal thought, and allow themselves to be criticized for all the things these supposed geniuses declare they do wrong- so I can't blame them.

When I leave New York for other places, I LOVE Wal-mart!

First time I was in one, I said, "Holy crap, they even sell FOOD, LOL"!

But alas, nine here.

No "Creatures", RJ?

I was wondering who would notice that.  Although I was still a Kiss fan, I didn't get Creatures until later.  Maybe even after Lick It Up.  I do remember that the cassette I bought had the re-issued cover with Bruce on the front sans makeup.  I think the song order on that was rearranged as well.  

Wait....you mean I had that Kiss album before you did? The cassette even had the blue cover. ANd I'm not even a Kiss fan! Shame!

Me Too!  I had Creatures immediately...  Blue cover and all.

Well, since I bought every new KISS-album since the release of "Rock'n'Roll Over" (until HITS), I obviously also bought "Creatures", the day it was released, but the magic was completely gone with this release. Ace was too much of a loss. I think, I prefer "The Elder" to COTN. It as least's got some Ace-guitar on a couple of tracks, and they had NEW costumes (and hairdoes) for the very last time (you know, what I mean), even though it wasnt really succesfull at all. But with the release of COTN, I could hear and see, that it was a big step in the wrong direction. They kind of saved that with LIU, but only for a short while.

And hey:

I completely forgot about these two important 1982-releases:

Rainbow - Straight Between The Eyes

Whithesnake - Saint and Sinners

I bought both of them, the day they were released, and I really liked them, at the time, even though, I thought that SBTE wasn't as strong as "Difficult to cure".

SAS was Whithesnake's finest release ever. Even better than "Slide it in".

Maybe both of these albums would had been on my top 5? Hmmmm, I'll try it again:

1. SFV - Priest

2. Abominog - UH

3. TNOTB - Maiden

4. SAS - Whitesnake

5. One on One - CT

That would had been my top 5, back in '82, because when I think about it, Accept's Restless and wild only had 3 tracks, that I really liked.

Well, I must be honest.  Mostly I'm just not feeling this episode.  But it has more to do with the music released in '82.  Personally, I don't find it nearly as strong on the whole as 1981.

Out of these five tracks, I was pleasantly surprised by two of them.  Devils Child would be my favorite here, which really is a surprise given that I'm not much of a Priest fan.  The other is Looker by Betty Davis, I mean Kim Carnes.  That too is a really good track.

Ranking:

5. Worse Than Detroit

4. She's A Runner

3. Runnin' Away

2. Looker

1. Devils Child

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of