Classic Rock Bottom

I really enjoyed the two part Triumph series and I want to try and do another two part playlist starting with the early works of an artist. This time I want to showcase an artist that this site doesn't hear much from.

BILLY JOEL

For Part 1 we'll take a look at his early work, prior to his stardom.

PLAYLIST --> http://snack.to/auml65s3

TURN AROUND
COLD SPRING HARBOR

Interesting story about how this album was first released. The recording was finished and due to a bizarre mastering error the tapes were sped up about 8% faster than they were recorded. Long story short, the album was pulled and it wasn't until 1983 that Columbia corrected it. You can hear some of Joel's input in the drum tracks as they sound more modern than originally recorded. I would love to have one of those original pressings!

YOU'RE MY HOME
PIANO MAN

Plagued by legal issues and a first album that he had to tour endlessly to pay for, Joel found himself in LA working as a lounge Piano Man while recording this album. Clearly the title track is auto-biographical, but the track I picked is also somewhat introspective as its supposedly written for his wife at the time. Cool album for any fan of Joel its a must have, and the new Legacy Edition also contains a cool concert from the Cold Springs Harbor era.

THE GREAT SUBURBAN SHOWDOWN
STREETLIFE SERENADE

This album was a recent purchase (in the last few years or so). And one I was happy I picked up. No hits and not much radio attention from this album, and that's probably what I like best about it! The whole album is full of hidden gems. All songs are solid although a bit reflective lyrically and melancholy in its tempo with the exception of Root Beer Rag. Its has a permanent place in my catalog.

SUMMER, HIGHLAND FALLS
TURNSTILES

There's something intriguing about albums that precede the breakout album from classic rock artists. Its very cool to hear the build up to the super-stardom, and though the artist may prefer an overnight sensation approach, these albums are invaluable to help us understand how they got where they are. Turnstiles is so cool it really is on par with The Stranger, so in listening to it, it's easy to see why Joel got so big! Just hard to understand why Super-stardom didn't happen sooner...

So I picked some mellower tunes this week, but man they are soo sooo good! I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did putting it together!

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No Triumph? Darn!

Next week I'm posting Culture Club!

Yay!

I have definitely mellowed as I've gotten older...but not this much!!

Sorry, Scott, dont take it personal, but Billy Joel just doesn't move me...or rock me...or interest me. If I'm going to listen to a "piano man", I'd rather listen to Elton John. Joel has a great voice, but I just want and need more energy in my music.

But now, he is a lot, lot, lot better than Culture Club....

Unlike Gordon, I do like Joel's music.  I would tell Gordon that he'd like his live show because it's quite energetic, but there's not a lot of lead guitar work, so he probably still wouldn't like him.

Anyway, I have the first two albums.  I think the production of the first track sounds exactly like the production on Captain Jack, which is a more energetic song for Gordon as well.  Funny thing is, Captain Jack is on the Piano Man album.  Which leads me to track 2, which has a distinctively folk sound.

I don't have Streetlife Serenade.  I do know the song The Entertainer comes from that album, and that song is bursting with energy, especially the acustic guitar.  This is another quite laid back tune, so I can certainly se where Gordon is coming from.  But like I said, I like mellow music, so this works for me. 

Turnstiles also contains at least two of his classics, New York State Of Mind and Say Goodbye To Hollywood.  Both great tunes, and this song fits perfectly within Scott's theme.  Sometimes you just have to chill out, and this stuff is perfect.  And lyrically, Joel is pretty brilliant.

One more thing for Gordon, although his music in general features him as a lyricist, vocalist and pianist, when you see him live, you get a much better feel for all of the accompanying music that sometimes gets lost in his studio work.  But like I said, I think you would be a difficult dude to convert, so you might just wanna stick with Abba.

I like both Gordon's and RJ's feedback.  Honesty is always the best policy (yes I just song dropped).

Every time I pick an artist that a little left of this sites center, I run the risk of iffy reviews.  But I think thats ok.

THanks to both of you for great feedback!

I totally agree.  Not everybody has to like everything.  I have no problem with negative feedback (receiving or leaving) as long as it's an honest answer.  I just want feedback. 

And out of curiosity, Scott, have you seen Joel live?

I have actually seen Joel live on TV...may have been a "live" video, or perhaps a concert special on VH1...and I do remember him rocking out at his piano...getting up and kicking his legs up (ummm...one at a time, of course)...so yes, I know he is energetic as a stage performer.

I did listen through once, and might do so again. It might grow on me a little more. But right now, I'm listening to some old WRCB posts...at the moment, Scott's page two. It's off to a fantastic start!! 5 for 5 so far...Grand Funk, Kenny Wayne, Nazareth, Starship, and Faces. Now this is some music that moves me!!! (Bobhead, tapfoot???)

I'm thinking of starting a band called Bobhead Tapfoot....yeah, C'MON!!!!

hahahaha...

Ive never seen anything from him personally, but like Gordon, have watched his performances on DVD/TV.  I wouldn't pass up a chance to see him if he comes through town that's for sure!

Check out Glass Houses. That album rocks!

Will have something from that album next week!

Hall 4 Layda?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos