Classic Rock Bottom

Merry Christmas!

Another look at the hidden treasures of 2015, this time we are taking the Classic Rock angle. Its sometimes hard to convince classic rock fans that there is still some great music being made out there, but there is and here's a taste...

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all!

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/av13ym5i

Bachman
Heavy Blues

1 - Learn To Fly

The guitarist decided to devote himself to over-amplified blues on this 2015 project, teaming with a new rhythm section (one that just happens to be female), and inviting a bunch of friends to add solos to his new songs. Each guitarist -- including his old pal Neil Young, modern-day bluesman Joe Bonamassa, and Peter Frampton -- recorded their solo over a finished mix, which explains the presence of the late Jeff Healey and also how the guitarists don't necessarily seem fully integrated into the album. Nevertheless, that disconnect is ultimately a minor point because there's a gonzo energy to Bachman's originals, a spirit that can sometimes slide into silliness (listen to the chorus of "Confessin' the Blues"), but also liberates the guitarist enough to deliver one of his loudest and heaviest solo records ever.

Black Star Riders
The Killer Instinct

2 - Charlie I Gotta Go

Recording for a second album was announced during late 2013, and on 27 January 2014, it was announced the band's second album would be recorded in Dublin in October, and would be produced by Def Leppard vocalist Joe Elliott. Elliott had previously worked on Ricky Warwick's solo albums, and also with Scott Gorham on archival Thin Lizzy releases. However, Elliott pulled out of the project in August due to conflicts with Def Leppard's schedule. On 21 November 2014, the second album was named as The Killer Instinct and would feature ten tracks. Johnson explained how producer Raskulinecz had examined all the songs the band had written prior to recording, and ensured that the band "focused on the material to best represent Black Star Riders in 2015.

Armored Saint
Win Hands Down

3 - Muscle Memory

On February 11, 2013, Joey Vera officially announced via Facebook and Twitter that the band had begun working on a new album. The album, titled Win Hands Down, was released on June 2, 2015. Win Hands Down debuted at #71 on the Billboard Top 200 current albums chart. The album sold double what their previous effort, La Raza, sold upon its release in 2010. In Germany, the album reached #33 on the German Top 100 albums charts.

UFO
A Conspiracy of Stars

4 - The Killing Kind

UFO has endured a myriad of lineup changes and stylistic shifts over its long career, but the band has always served as a haven for quality musicianship, and Conspiracy of Stars does little to tarnish that reputation. Featuring ten new tracks and a lineup that includes UFO core members Phil Mogg, Paul Raymond, and Andy Parker, along with guitar virtuoso Vinnie Moore and bass player Rob De Luca, the former a member since 2003 and the latter since 2012, the Steamhammer/SVP-issued Conspiracy of Stars is the veteran English hard rock unit's 21st studio long-player.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you need to convince classic rock fans that there's still great music out there, then they're not classic rock or rock fans.

You can quote me on that.

So nice of you to post a playlist on Christmas week since I'm not posting this week (unless I'm forced to do so). I believe that you need to wait for the next greatness.

As for this list, I have 3 of 'em, only one of them made my top 10 though. Not that the others are bad, they were just missing something or were a bit off.

Could swear I heard that Bachman song before, just don't know where. It's ok, it does rock, but it's not up my alley. The other 3 are groovy tunes, 2 of 'em could be the best songs on those particular albums, one of them is from an album of all good songs.

Merry Christmas back at ya, even though you didn't need to say it twice.

They may know its alive but do they know its well?  Sales would say no... And some people are irreversibly stuck in the past, I know because I went to High School with a handful of case studies.

Bachman - This one didn't make my Top 10, but it's still a pretty decent album at this time in his career.  He really reminds me of Ace Frehley.  Not that he sounds like him, but neither of them sing particularly well but they can still play. 

BSR - I really, really like this album.  It was number seven on my Top 10 list.  And this is one of, if not my favorite song on the album.  The production is top notch.  His vocals are very easy to understand, and the band doesn't have too much going on during the song.  The guitar is brilliant on this album.

Armored Saint - Another album that almost made my Top 10, but just missed.  Again, like in both of the albums above, the guitar work is stellar on this album.  This is definitely my favorite song on the album.  The groove is laid back and the bass work rocks.  And I love the lyric, "face it like a man, face it like a wimp, but either way you're facing it".

UFO - I have found such an appreciation for this band since this site was started.  I have almost all of their albums now.  And this one was on my Top 10 list for a good portion of the year, but got bumped toward the end of the year. Vinnie Moore gets my vote for best guitarist.  He is an amazing player.  

Great picks brother.  You are right, rock music, especially "classic" sounding rock music, is alive and well in 2015.  Only problem is that you can't hear it on the radio.  You must purchase it to find it.  Or you can use Spotify if you prefer, but it's not the same as turning on the radio and hearing different new songs from different bands.  A great radio station could be playing all of these songs and so many more, but those days are over.  Hope you can remember it, because you won't live it again.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos