Classic Rock Bottom

State of the Music address

With the State of the Union address and the Grammy's all happening this past week, I thought it would be good to take a look at the state of our music today!  Our music being of the Classic Rock variety.  So if I was to give a speech, here’s some of the observations from the past year in Classic Rock that I would mention...

• First, there wasn’t a barrage of releases so the trend of classic artists trying to fit into mainstream music seemed to have subsided fully this past year.
  • Artists who recorded and released new music focused on being who they really are. Net result was some great releases.
  • We've seen some great bands come back.  Amongst the more notables were Van Halen, The Beach Boys, ZZ Top, UFO, and yes even Aerosmith.
  • Solo projects were also of note this year, Joe Walsh released a killer album while Jack Blades rock and rolled us with a very cool release. Other notables were, Don Felder and Donald Fagen.
  • And let's not forget some the great repackaging and remastering treatments that some of our classic favorites got this past year.  McCartney's "Ram" and Rush's "2112" were simply awesome!

I'd like to predict that the trend continues throughout 2013 and although the releases are slow coming into the New Year we should expect to hear great things as the year progresses.

So what did it sound like? I know that for the most part all of these albums were addressed in various New Music Corner postings, but it’s always good to go back and listen again. Check out these 3 tracks and then chime in on what you think the state of classic rock music is!  Is there still hope for a full recovery?

PLAYLIST --> http://snack.to/a1c5yjc1

Accept - Stalingrad

1 - Twist of Fate

My favorite Accept album is easily "Metal Heart", so when I listen to this band I hear bits and pieces of that album constantly and so goes this album and the bands resurgence! They've really done a great job replacing UDO without losing their identity. Allmusic published a review giving the album three-and-a-half stars out of five. Reviewer James Christopher Monger also noted that current vocalist Tornillo does an "awfully convincing Udo Dirkschneider impression."[3] Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles and Thrash Hits also gave the album positive reviews

UFO - Seven Deadly

2 - Angel Station

This album got huge praise on this site. I think it even converted RJ to check out the bands catalog to some degree. Since its release, this album has been met with mostly positive reviews. Rebecca Miller of Metal Temple wrote, "Not contented to sit back on their laurels, the band continues to produce high quality rock albums and Seven Deadly is certainly no exception".

Flying Colors - Flying Colors

3 - Blue Ocean

Pretty much a side project (which is another cool topic for a later hidden treasures). But the band members read like a who's who of prog, until you get to the singer who was relatively unknown. So it has this cool expectation and X-Factor aspect to it, and there is no let down! Modern Rock Review states; "Flying Colors has created an album that is at once fresh and nostalgic, with songs full of energy and new musical ideas. Yes, it appears that the “supergroup” is alive and well."

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It didn't pick up until March or so last year, Van Halen notwithstanding.

I don't know, I had at least 3 new albums this time last year. This year I have....1.

I like the Accept album.  To me, it was the second best metal album of the year, behind Testament.  

As for the UFO album, I love it.  I can see why Gordon likes it.  Vinnie Moore.  Best guitar playing of the year.  Not a bad song on the disc.  And while Mogg sounds pretty weathered (almost like he's had a stroke if you ask me), I still like the vocals.

Flying Colors is really good too.  And it gets better with each listen.  As a matter of fact, I just listened to this during a workout last week.  And the song Scott picked is probably the best on a very good album.

As for me, here's the three songs (and a playlist link) I would choose if I were writing this thread:

1. One Way Street - Rick Springfield - I just love this album.  Very melodic.  Rick's voice is still in great shape, as is his songwriting.  I love the way the drums remind me of Hollywood Nights.

2. West Ruth Ave. - The Night Flight Orchestra - This is a current band that sounds just like they came out of the late 70's or early 80's.  I found this by mistake and purchased it as a download.  I need to pick up the physical CD.  Yes, it's good enough for 2 purchases.  And how can you not like a band that name checks Stevie Nicks?

3. Hardest Word - Jack Blades - Jack Blades has been around a long time.  And he really still rocks.  The guitars on this album are outstanding.  Can't really say any more.

Here is the playlist.

Awesome playlist!  And great response! 

• I recall the Springfield post in NMC and it didn't really resonate with me at the time.  I did, however, like this song in the context of this listening experience.  The rhythm guitar work in the chorus has a real Beatles familiarity to it.
  • I remember this tune, the disco beat and the bongos and the nice riff.  Very 70's, very melodic and it has a guitar solo in it and couple of cool bridges, very strange for modern music!
  • Nothing to say about how good this Blades album is, if you don't have it your missing out!!

Solid work right there boss!!!

I remember reading Andrew McNeice's (melodicrock.com) review of this song and he said that the rhythm guitar work was strait out of the 60's, which meshes with your comment concerning the Beatles.

Of those 3 albums, I only like Flying Colors. Accept were once a great Metal-band and UFO, yeah well, I'm not the right one to ask about that band, I guess. It's great, that all of those classic bands are releasing new albums, yeah even KISS and Aerosmith, because some youngsters might discover them, and go back in time to when they actually made some great music. It's going to be interesting to hear, how the new Black Sabbath-album will sound like, EVEN though it's not entirely THE Black Sabbath, when Bill Ward is missing. But I won't go there, where I say that it's not Sabbath and it's not Van Halen, because that's my meaning, and so be it.

I think, that it might be time, sometime soone, that some of these bands retire. Does the world really need another Rolling Stones-album? Or a KISS-album for that matter? Oh, wait it's not KISS, and without Wyman, it ain't really the Stones either. 

For me personally, I'm looking forward to re-releases of old classics. Some I already have bought, like Led Zeppelin's catalog, but a deluxe expanded version of Physical Graffiti is on the top of my wish-list. I just bought the new version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and it's great to have.

I'm not really looking forward to any old classic rockbands new albums, exceps may for Sabbath's.

But the newer bands like Neal Morse's band, Devin Townsend Project, Spock's Beard, Pocupine Tree, Anathema and even Flying Colors, they are the reason why I think, that classic rock really has a future, because these guys are carrying on the torch, or whatever it's called, and they do it with a refreshed energy. They don't just play the same old kind of rock'n'roll, but try to create new sounds, and you can hear they love playing the music. They are not only interested in the big money, like some of the old geezers, like Aerosmith.

So far, the only 2013-album I have bought is Steve Hackett's excellent "Genesis Revisited II", even though it apperantly was released in oct. 2012, it says 2013 on my copy.

But I have ordered new albums by Steven Wilson, Von Hertzen Brothers and Spocks' Beard, AND the new 3-cd/2 DVD release from Neal Morse, so within a month or so, I'm well in to some fine new 2013-releases, I hope.   

All really good points!  The writing and style influence of the missing band members in groups like KISS and the Stones is huge!!  In the case of VH, Anthony's voice was so recognizable, almost as much as Eddie guitars!  It certainly did take away from the listening experience...

I also agree with you on some of the new remasters, deluxe editions and remising going on.  Some of them are really great!  Check out Thin Lizzy's Deluxe Packages (if you can), there's some great bonus tunes on there.  And I'm glad to hear the new Rumors package is worth it, I've been debating on that one for a couple days...

As for the future of Classic Rocks here's some more names (in addition to your list) that I think are worthy of continuing the legacy....

• Anberlin - Even with their more modern approach, the melodic nature of their music is so good!
  • Alter Bridge - Loved what they were doing, hope they actually continue.
  • Electric Mary - If America could grab onto this band it would help!
  • Foo Fighters - Much to Jon's dismay, they are the torch bearers at this point

I definitely agree on Alter Bridge. All of the bands I mentioned had at least something to do with Prog, but AB are pure classic Rock but also with a breath of fresh air, and they are a great band. 

QOTSA with Dave Grohl on drums are also a band I'm counting on.  

Speaking of the Lizzy deluxe editions, here's my problem.  They are priced prohibitively.  You are paying in excess of 20 bucks for an album, and you (not you Scott, you as in people in general) are doing so because it sounds a little better and it has some bonus tracks.  The vast majority of studio bonus tracks from back in the day did not make the original album for a reason.  And many of these deluxe reissues only have live tracks on the bonus disc.  

To me, it's just not worth the money.  The only way I could justify it is if it were my absolute favorite band ever.  

Commenting on the 3 tracks RJHog posted.

I like them all. Only have the Jack Blades. Never even heard of this Night Flight, but I enjoyed it. I think it's the best of these three...but all of them are good listens.

The twin lead on the Blades song is really well played. And he is an outstanding singer, in my opinion. Sings with a lot of emotion. He has a knack for writing "sing along" songs, for sure.

And I agree, Springfield's vocals are top notch. It's a nice up tempo track, and even though I love distorted guitars, the cleaner sounding guitar here works great for this track. I also really like the short, but sweet, guitar lead playing underneath a couple of sections. Not sure if it is a chorus or bridge section, but it's a nice touch with this little lead layered underneath the vocals.

Track 2, the Night Flight track, has a really great intro section. Really like how the lead vocal is double tracked. The short intro into the lead guitar section has an almost Carribbean feel to it, for a few seconds. Love the parrot, or bird sound, added to this little section. And a very nice lead it is.

Good stuff here...3 for 3 TWICE in this post, lads!!

I have 4 of the Thin Lizzy remasters and you're right. If you're not a huge fan, there's no point. But at least they're out there for those that really want them which I'm thankful for. However....they're European releases and that's why the price is a bit high. Think a US company would release these packages? 

Poo Biters. Yuck.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos