Classic Rock Bottom

For the thirty-fifth album in the series I thought up all by myself, I present an album that fits in perfectly, especially if you're from our neighbors to the north.

Before I get to this week's pick, I must mention that a certain someone thought he could make a request and that I would post it.  What a fool! Sorry, but I think we were overloaded with a certain artist last week and now is not the right time to post another album by said artist. Let's give it a rest, shall we?

Besides, I had a bunch of other artists pop into my head and, after extensive research, I discovered that this series is going to go on for many more weeks. Lucky you!

This week's selection is the 1994 release from Kim Mitchell, Itch, his fifth full-length studio album. This is his first album that was not certified as platinum or gold in Canada outside of his first solo effort which was an EP.THis was also his lowest charting album, reaching #55 on the Canadian charts. 

I don't know what went on, but it seems odd that this didn't receive any certification. The only album that charted in the US was 1984's Akimbo Alogo at #106, but that album received platinum status in Canada with Shakin' Like A Human Being certified as 3x platinum, Rockland 2x platinum, I Am A Wild Party (a live album) platinum and Aural Fixations gold. The followup to this was a greatest hits album and it also was certified platinum. 

I'm flummoxed and a bit vexed. It's vexing why this album didn't do as well as the others. "Lemon Wedge" should have driven this album to the top of the charts where it should have stayed for at least a year. Nobody would have noticed in the US because sometimes they have a problem picking on good music and missed out on the ultimate song to put on during a party. Silly Americans.

Allmusic.com doesn't have a written review but gave this four stars. The two customers that reviewed it on amazon gave it five stars.

Simply put, this album ROCKS. Crank it!

Itch

1. Wonder Where & Why
2. Acrimony
3. Lick Yer Finger
4. The U.S. Of Ache
5. Lemon Wedge
6. Heartbreakbustop
7. Your Face Or Mine
8. Human Condition
9. Stand
10. Karaoke Queen
11. Cheer Us On

Availability: Might be OOP, but there's some used copies floating around for around $4.50.

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I own this thanks to you...

So I pulled an RJ and typed a big response and then lost it, no really, I did!  As I stated, I own this, but its all because of your Akimbo Alogo post of yester-year.  

This guy is really very good, and once you get past the silly song titles you find some great music, very melodic, but very well played and written.  The guitar work is technically sound and always interesting.  I do love the wit he puts into the lyrics, clearly its how we writes and I assume is an extension of his personality, which to me is cool because I place high value on a sense of humor.

I believe he was also Max Webster in a different band configuration than this, but I've never heard them only heard of them.  I do recommend Akimbo Alogo, and Itch may be a take or leave affair, the first half of the album is very strong.  But dont get me wrong, the last half of the album (beginning with Your Face or Mine) is no major drop off maybe its just the running order, or the mellow closer (he could've learned a lesson from my closer expertise since I invented the science behind it), but it starts with a bang and keeps you going and then tapers off ever so slightly.

Still a fine piece of Canadian rock and roll...

I will somewhat "second" Scott's thoughts here.  I remember that you posted him before, but I couldn't remember what I thought of the album.  Seems as though I found it fairly decent.  

At times, he reminds me of Gary Cherone.  Cherone is a better vocalist, but Mitchell isn't bad at all.  Speaking of Cherone, was Mitchell the guy that thought he had the Van Halen gig?  Anyway, his comical but cool lyrics are probably what reminds me the most of Cherone, more so than his voice.

Many styles here, and that can be a positive or a negative.  It's a positive here. This is a very respectable album.  Might put this one on the Amazon Wish List.

No, it wasn't Kim Mitchell with Van Halen. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos