Classic Rock Bottom

New Music Corner #215 - Whitesnake, Art of Anarchy

by "I got the numbering scheme back on track" Scott...

This week I got two for you and I'm posting a tad late because the mail came late today!  I wasn't sure about one of these discs until I gave the sound-bytes a second chance, and then I pulled the trigger on the purchase so we're going to hear one of these for the first time together....

First Up is a very cool themed Whitesnake album.  A project in the making for quite awhile.  For whatever road bumps Coverdale encountered getting this recorded, I'm gad its done!  Check it out...

Click either album cover to listen...

Whitesnake
The Purple Album

1. Burn
  2. You Fool No One (Interpolating Itchy Fingers)
  3. Mistreated
  4. Stormbringer
  5. Comin' Home (Bonus Track) - From the Deluxe Edition

Art of Anarchy
Art of Anarchy

1. Small Batch Whiskey
  2. Get on Down
  3. Til the Dust is Gone
  4. Superstar
  5. Long Ago

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I own 50% of these discs.  I must say my favorite track is number 7, and it didn't get posted...

Death of it?

Yessir.

Whitesnake--N/A

Can't really give this a review since it's NMC and this really isn't NM. I'll say that it wasn't bad and then I'll say I've heard these songs before. Then I'll say it was better than expected but will point out it's a cover album. I'll then say that it sounded very good, but then say that the originals are better. Then I'll say that of course the originals are better but that doesn't mean that this is bad, but was it really needed? Then I'll say that I don't know what I'm talking about and that I should just leave.

Art Of Anarchy--Thumbs In The Middle

I did like the slide geetar in the first song, but that's really about it. THis sounds like something that would have fit in nicely in the 90's and it's too early to pay homage to the 90's (if it ever has to be homaged). There's really no hooks to get me interested in this and I've listened to it three times today. It's proficient, so it's not going to go thumbs down, but it's perfectly acceptable to give it middle thumbs because it's just "there".

Well said.

Purple Snake - Is this really necessary?  Maybe to the band's hard core fans it is.  I don't know that anything can really be improved on, but I don't really think that's what Coverdale is trying to do here.  But still, new guitarist, let's do a covers album.  Probably kinda like what Eric Carr felt like when he joined Kiss and they promptly recorded Music From The Elder.  

Anyway, I don't own a ton of Deep Purple, so the only song I'm really familiar with here is Stormbringer.  First tune is very decent with some great ax work.  No surprise there.  That second track is bad ass.  Might need to find out what DP album it comes from.  Next up is a sort of ballad.  Can't say it does much for me.  Except for the guitar.  Those guys are just wailing.  

Up next is the track I'm familiar with, and I've always like it.  It's still a killer song and a very respectable cover.  But that last track doesn't really do anything for me.

Overall, a nice listen, but I think it's a niche product mostly for the hard core Snake fans.  Coverdale sounds very decent, better than the band's last album.  And the guitar and drum work is outstanding.  I'd have to go Thumbs Sideways as far as a purchase, but it does sound pretty good.

AoA - This is one I own already, and I totally dig it.  First song is killer.  It does sound straight from the mid-90's. Weiland sounds good.  "Small batch whiskey.......19.....25".  I like that.  Awesome guitar performance on this track and on the album as a whole.  Not sure if Get On Down sounds 90's or not, but it's a terrific song.  The vocals are double tracked here, just like on the majority of the album.  I haven't listened to the album in a couple of days and I really forgot how good this song is.  Til The Dust Is Gone is probably my second favorite song on the album, with my favorite being Death Of It, which was not posted.  By the way, nice acoustic solo.  Just a touch of double bass drumming.  Did I mention I like this song.  "Grab it"!  Superstar is yet another cool song.  I really don't think the album lets up one bit until this song is over.  But one thing bugs me a bit about this track, it almost sounds like the vocals are out of tune in places.  Especially when he says "streetlights...and brake lights".  But it doesn't take away from the song.  For some reason it just doesn't bother me.  The last track here isn't at all bad, but it just seems like a slight step down from everything that came before it.  Vocally it's good, but the chorus is what just isn't quite up to the rest of the material for me.  Still, not a skip worthy track.

Overall, this is great.  A very nice album from somebody who wants to distance himself from it.  Weiland is really out there.  Why you wouldn't want to be associated with a project this good is beyond me.  Thumbs up and highly recommended.  And terrific post Scott.

You Fool No One is a track from Deep Purples Burn album

Finally got a chance to hear Art of Anarchy for more than just the sound bites on iTunes.  I gotta say, its very 90's!  And while it had cool moments and great geetar work, it may take some time to see how this settles in for me.  Like it don't love it, will it crack the top ten for me?  Not yet...  It on the outside looking in, but I will give it some time and more spins to see where it lands.

As far as the question of whether I like this better than the Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, well, I like the Wildabouts album much better a this point...  Its a better version Weiland and better representation of unique artistry and songwriting.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos