Classic Rock Bottom

What CD's or DVD's have you recently purchased?  And it doesn't have to be classic rock.  Let us know about any purchases that you think are worth sharing.

Views: 6308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not really. I think they are a joke. But I must say, I only know "The Hits", like "Stand And Deliver".

That's sad. Everyone needs a little Antmusic in their life.

So I went to WalMart and you know that massive bin in the middle of the aisle filled with CD's?  Well this time it was full of some really good stuff.  Pretty much all of Journeys catalog remastered (Steve Perry edition ... which I already have dammit!).  After reading some articles about poor CD sales and the future of music sales I am left to wonder if WalMart isnt getting ready to change the way they sell music - CD's section is pretty lacking now, but in the meantime I am going to pay more attention to what theyre throwing in that bin...  Heres what I found this week...

The Doobies Brothers - The Captain and Me

Foo Fighter - The Colour and the Shape (10th Anniversary Edition - expanded)

Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser

Bee Gee's - Main Course (Dont laugh, its a pretty darn good album!)

John Cougar Mellencmap - Uh huh (remastered)

Not bad for 5 bucks each (Foos were 7)

I was going thru the bin at our local Wal Mart a couple hours ago as well...how weird!

Didn't pick anything up, but they did have the expanded Foreigner "4", and a few Ozzy albums. Almost bit on the Foreigner album, but have the other remastered edition and I could basically care less about the two bonus tracks. Maybe if it's there when we eventually go back, I'll pull the trigger.

They also have quite a few of the Millenium Edition CD's. If you want a very good sounding greatest hits disc, it's a pretty good deal. I actually held one from Dr Hook and put it back. 

I strolled in to my local Best Buy yesterday, and picked up, for $9.99 each, the new Sebastian Bach, "Kicking and Screaming", and on a complete whim..."City Of Evil" by Avenged Sevenfold.

So, after 1 listen to both last night, a few observations....

First, I must say, I was pretty blown away by the Sebastian Bach. I did listen several times to the NMC posting of this recently, but with 13 tracks, there is much more there. I think it's smokin'! The young dude playing guitar for Bach, looks like maybe 18 years old. He could be older, of course, but he is really young. And I think this is going to be in heavy rotation for a while.

Some very heavy, very ripping, tracks on this. Lots of killer guitar riffing...down tuned as well, making it even heavier (hardly no one uses standard tuning anymore, it seems! ).

Now. for the Avenged Sevenfold....I just bought it on a whim. I have heard of this band, probably even heard a track or two on the radio before, but I really know nothing about them. But, after one listen, I can say that they remind me a lot of Dream Theatre.

Neils, dont know if you are familiar with Avenged, or this particular release (City Of Evil), but they seem very progressive to me. And strangely enough, the lead vocal work reminds me of someone....umm, Sebastian Bach, as a matter of fact! Very similar sounding voice and style.

But when I first started listening to this, I was thinking, nah, this is not for me....it won't get played that often. But the more I listened, the more I began to enjoy it. I began noticing certain sections of songs, that were really, really good. And I noticed that the musicianship it top notch.

And I noticed that they seem to have long songs. On this disc, 11 tracks, and around 75 minutes of music, I believe! So yes, musically they remind me of Dream Theatre, and vocally, they remind me of Sebastian Bach. I think this release will grow on me as I listen more...and I'm betting this is the kind of disc where you might just hear something "new" just about everytime you listen to it. Especially with it being so long.

Axe--Axeology: 1979-2001

UFO--Seven Deadly (deluxe)

"Seven Deadly" deluxe??? What makes it deluxe? Extra tracks, or a DVD?

2 extra tracks.

Well, that's the version I need, then! Thank for the heads-up!

I have a few things in the closet to trade/get rid of again. But while at Wal-Mart I picked up one budget George Thorogood CD 10 Great Songs. - I just deleted the Bad To The Bone MP3 off the computer! :)

Does he actually have 10 GREAT songs?

Lessee...

Bad To The Bone

I Drink Alone

That song about one bourbon, one scotch and one beer.

What am I missing??

Hand Jive...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos