Classic Rock Bottom

"Nine Lives" is a pretty varied release from The Von Hertzen Brothers, and it starts out with 2 of the best tracks so far in 2013, but then there’s a "slight" lull in energy towards the middle, and that seems to be a strange sequencing decision. This aside it’s a decent album from the number one rock band in Finland, but the strength of the first couple of tracks is never repeated on the album, and I don’t think it will be near my Top10 at the end of the year (I’ve got 3 albums so far, that might end up on that list, but it's still early). Is it Prog, though? Not really, if you ask me. There’s only one or two listenings back in this album for me. (4/6)

1. Insomniac

2. Flowers And Rust

3. One May Never Know

4. World Without

5. Black Heart's Cry

The production on Amplifiers "Echo Street" is rather polished, but other than that, it bears little resemblance to its predecessor "The Octopus", and lacks its inventive song-writing and dynamic drive. The band admits rushing "Echo Street" out in 60 days from start to finish, where "The Octopus" had a four-year production time. The compositions are a bit light-weighted and maybe overlong and the lyrics are slightly dull. But it’s not a bad album, I’m just a bit disappointed. It’s pretty hard to find the "stand out" tracks, because it’s an ALBUM, not a collection of songs, but my favorite is "Paris In The Spring". I might change my mind a bit about the album, because I don’t feel, that I’m done with it, so I will give it a few more spins. (4/6)

1. Matmos

2. The Wheel

3. Where The River Goes

4. Paris In The Spring

Use this link to listen to the playlist:

http://share.snacktools.com/F9CA5FD9E8C/a7k52chz

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Von Hertzen Brothers (Two Thumbs Way Up)

This is fantastic.  Not a bad song in this group at all.  I really like their vocals.  The lead vocalist sounds a lot like Gary Cherone.  The guitar work is also good.  Just very nice songwriting.  I believe the second track was in Smash or Trash a while back.  That is probably the best song I've heard this year so far.  I want to purchase this, but it's an import.  I did notice I could get it from Amazon Marketplace for about 13 or 14 bucks with S&H.  I think I might have to order that.

Amplifier (Two Thumbs Down)

I just don't like this.  It sounds like one big, long rainy day.  Somebody please stop that wheel from spinning.  Just stop it.  

Hey hey, Niels, 1 out of 2 isn't bad at all.

I'm glad you like The Von Hertzen Btothers, RJ. In fact, the first time, I heard the album a few weeks back, or at least when I had heard the first 3 tracks, I thought to myself, that RJhog is gonna love this album. There is a couple of tracks, that aren't that good, or definitely one, that might be the most boring track I've heard in quite a while.

It's just fine, that you dont like the Amplifier-album. I kind of like some of it, but after hearing both of these albums again today, I'm not so sure anymore, which one is best. Perhaps that's why I gave them both a 4/6.

I ordered the Von Hertzen Bros. this afternoon, but it's coming from the United Kingdom, so it will be at least 2 weeks before I get it.

Von Hertzen Brothers--Two Thumbs Up Higher Than Rjhog's Because They've Both Been Smoking Weed

Wow. I've heard "Flowers And Rust" before, don't know what I thought about it but I think it was a stripped down version maybe? This really reminds me of Big Wreck, especially their newest album. The lead singer here sound like the lead singer for BW. I think it's a bit proggy with the last 3 tracks, the first two are more mainstream, but they're all good. Me like!   

Crap, I forgot something: COWBELL!!!!

Amplifier--Two Thumbs Way Up Higher That High Itself

Yeah, this is definitely rushed and it sounds like they rushed it. Please. If 90% of the bands out there can put something out as good as this "rushed" product, maybe they wouldn't suck so much. We've had "Matmos" on this site before, and I admit I was a bit skeptical. Now I'm not. "Where The River Goes" is one hell of a slow burn of a song, my favorite of the four here, but I like 'em all. "Paris In The Spring" has a Roger Waters vocal vibe, just seems to be cutting vocals, kinda sarcastic in a way.

I've had my eye on this album, but was waiting to hear more. And now I want. I will be pre-ordering this puppy, it seems to be a good fit with Steven Wilson's latest.

That's two Amplifier albums you've made me buy now, Niels!

" it seems to be a good fit with Steven Wilson's latest"

So this sucks too.

Steven Wilson's latest is a pure masterpiece! It' s a 6/6 album, and I wonder, why it hasn't been in NMC yet?

Since there are only 6 tracks and two of them have already been posted on this site, should someone even bother?

Yes, it's a masterpiece for helping one get to sleep.

Okay then, since it's not gonna appear in NMC, then what do you think about it, Jon and Scott?
For me, it's the best album yet from Steven Wilson, and it's way better then his last solo-album. All of the tracks are great, and the musician-ship ( is that a word?) is in top, meaning it's the best drumming and the best guiarsolo's so far in 2013. The lyrics are also in top: a song about a drinking contest with the devil is pretty cool. It was the first 2013-album, I bought, and it's still the best, even though there's another album, that is almost as great.

I haven't listened to the whole album yet, but will let you know when I do.

So is that other album you're talking about maybe something I'll be posting in NMC is a couple weeks?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

Badge