Classic Rock Bottom

Well, at long last, you are able to make a playlist at Podsnack, but better late than never here's NMC#117. And it might just (for me) be the best NMC this year, because I know, that some of you (RJHog) hate The Steven Wilson-album, but imo these two albums are by far the best releases so far in 2013. These two albums are the only 2013-albums, that I still listens to, at least twice per week, and yes it is PROG, and it's damn fine Prog. Oh, and I have cheated a bit, because the third song I have posted from Steven Wilson is a track from a third album, that I have bought this year that I really, really love, but it's not really a "2013-album" and it is not new songs, but since most of you probably have got both of these albums, I thought I would post a song, I don't think any of you have got, well maybe Scott has the original version, but it is Steven Wilson singing the lead on a Genesis-song from "Genesis Revisited II". Well, here we go:

SPOCK'S BEARD - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (Deluxe)

1. I Know Your Secret

2. Submerged

3. Waiting For Me

4. Down A Burning Road

STEVEN WILSON - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING (And Other Stories)

1. Drive Home

2. The Watchmaker

3. (From Genesis Revisited II - Can Utility And The Coastliners)

And you SHOULD be able to listen right here, I hope:

http://share.snacktools.com/F9CA5FD9E8C/adpabsf3

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope, it's dark when I sleep...no light.

...and here's the moon:

Smiley

Spock's Beard--Two Thumbs Up

Considering I am the only one that can type this bands name correctly (it's SPOCK'S not SPOCKS) it's obvious that Niels and I are the only true fans of this band on this here site from what I have seen from those two other posters.  Hence, we are the only true fans of this album. Everyone else is just hanger-ons, just trying to make it look like they know what they're talking about and how they like a band. Makes me physically sick!

I have had this album for about 15 years, well before Spock's Beard sat down and tried to figure out what their next opus would be. Anyone saying they got it before I did is a complete liar and obviously not a big fan of this band. I am sickened! Plus I have the 8 disc version with over 78 hours of outakes, b-sides and non-album tracks.

I like how this music ebbs and flows, plus they haven't lost any bite. Mellow, hard, mellow, hard. I like it. It keep me interested. A fine, fine album.

Hey, I just listened to the "bonus" Steven WIlson track and everything you've posted from the "Genesis Revisited II" album is really, really good. 

Great post, Niels. At least us true fans of Spock's Beard and those that don't have narcolepsy know what brilliant music is.   

Great that you comment (as the only one!!) on the "bonus-track". You should purchase that album, Jon. I know, you will love it.

I dont think of myself as a Prog fan, but I am enjoying this. I listened to it twice earlier in the week, and now again today.

I just now read through everyone's comments, and I see RJHog has beat me to the punch. I too, think the vocals on Spock's Beard are fantastic, with a special emphasis on track 2, "Submerged". Just awesome vocal melody on this track.

The Steven Wilson is a little slow paced for me, but "Drive Home" is a nice track, with an excellent guitar lead during the ending section. I'll be using the alphabet thing-a-ma-jig to see if entire albums are posted from either artist.

But I will say this, the Steven Wilson does not make me think of Prog. It's more popish to me, and that is not a negative comment in any way. I do definitely feel like the SB is Prog. And a killer guitar lead on track one, "I Know Your Secret". Or is that a synth made to sound like a guitar? Or both maybe? At least in some sections.

Either way, this is pretty good stuff, especially the SB.

Get some Porcupine Tree!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos